Y&R May 2023 Discussion Thread

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Cameron Kirsten was released from prison 6 months ago and relocated to L.A. when he was arrested for the 2nd time when he assaulted his latest girlfriend, who looked like Sharon. How the heck is Cameron out of prison when he's a repeat offender?

Is Cameron still wealthy as he's staying at GCAC and going out having expensive drinks? 

• Members

This is such a bummer. Both characters had so much potential. I also enjoyed both actors in the role. 

I am Asian American, and we have such little representation on soaps. I was just hoping YR would be different: a good actress, connected to a major family, limitless storyline potential

• Members

He was jailed in Los Angeles... look at how many times Sheila has been released. Deacon, too.

I've noticed: neither Kyle nor Noah seem to be allowed on the canvas at the same time. When Michael Mealor exited, that's when Noah was recast, and once Mealor announced his return, then Rory Gibson began appearing a lot less. And, let's be real honest, Kelsey Wang was cast as Allie as a way to re-introduce Diane Jenkins. It wasn't for the sake of the Abbotts and expanding Jack's family.

• Members

Noah and Kyle should be carrying on the Newman vs Abbot legacy, ridiculous he isn’t on canvas and that we wasted so many years with RA in the role. Allie should have came on looking for vengeance and stirring the pot, they killed Keemo for no damn reason.

I didn’t like the original Cameron story when it aired and this one seems like its going to be an uneventful speed rush.

• Members

That’s what I was wondering. How is he paying for his suite at the GCAC? What happened to his money in the years that he spent on prison? Was it sitting in investments? And if he was released again after committing yet another crime, he must have had incredible legal help and that would have cost him a lot of money, wouldn’t it have? I have questions.

Y&R has continually gotten it wrong with Asian characters, despite getting some truly talented and charismatic actors. Eric Steinberg should have been a leading man, at least for awhile, he had every characteristic to be one. Y&R flopped it.
Keemo could’ve recasted and even slightly de-aged and could’ve been mixing things up with the likes of Nick Newman and Adam Newman.

Laur Allen was way too good for the role that they wrote for her. First, it was a bore and only picked up once they shifted her a vixen, right before the character got the heave-ho.

Ravi also had potential. A few years ago, I and others batted around ideas on what could’ve been done with his character once the affair with Ashley fizzled out. Personally, I would have loved seeing Shenaz Treasurywala back on a U.S. daytime soap as Ravi’s sister. I had even proposed that Jack tries to recruit her as a chemist after learning of her work and hearing that Ashley was an inspiration to her, which turns sour once she discovered the clandestine affair between her brother and Ashley.

So many wasted storyline opportunities.

• Members

They killed Keemo for nothing. I guess it was a naive hope they’d actually ever do something with him, but to kill him off, bring on his daughter, and not do anything with her is a slap in the face. They could have brought Diane back without it.

• Members

In my mind, Keemo isn't dead.  The Yakuza are holding him hostage, and that female who turned up for a spell and said her name was "Allie"?  She wasn't really Keemo's daughter; she works for the Yakuza.

• Members

Certainly, an inventive writer could claim that Diane orchestrated this all as a ruse to worm her way back into Jack’s life (even though we saw Allie angry with Diane over her deceit as well as Allie alone seemingly sincerely mourning her father). Stranger things have happened in the world of soaps. I suppose we’re “lucky” they even deigned to resolve the loose end, but these shows love to piss on an old story and call it honoring history.

Re: Noah. Y&R is so risk averse with its canvas. We certainly wouldn’t want them killing off a bunch of veterans like LML and MAB did, but they don’t appear to be investing much or making room for the newer generations to actually take the lead. Part of that is poor leadership and planning, coasting on familiar faces who refuse to step aside on their own, and too many shifting, short-term visions over the years for the newer characters. I know people hate Liam over on B&B, but Brad actually invested in SC and JMW as leads. (He sort of backslid a bit by making Steffy/Thomas overly invested in their parent’s’ relationships, but I digress…)

It makes a lot of sense to tie Kyle/Summer into their parents’ ongoing feuds to an extent, and I’m sure the bare-bones budget comes into play with that. But they are playing them as well below their actual ages. Summer is a whiny child and Kyle is an overgrown boy attached at his long-lost Mommy’s hip. They don’t feel very authoritative as adults in the way Ashley, Jack, and other similar characters felt at their ages, and Kyle and Summer are actually parents themselves (neither Jack nor Ashley were raising kids until the 2000s more than 20 years after they’d been introduced and lived really full lives). Again, some of that is budget, as we actually got to see Ashley and Jack at work doing things. (There was also more flexibility to tell stories other than just babies and young kids back then.)

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

Allie and Noah were fired because they brought on Trevor St John and Michael Graziadei, that's what happens now in these low budget days, you hire people means you have to fire someone.

Like for ex, Jordi Vilacuso was fired when Susan Walter's came back,

Tyler Johnson (Theo) was fired when they brought on Sally.

** not trying to excuse it, just it is what it is. I'm sure Kelsey will come back or Allie and Noah will be recast yet again in a few years by JG or whomever is EP. 

Edited by lucaslesann23