DAYS: Something Wicked This Way Comes

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Around 7-8 months, depending on whether you start from Stefano drugging Marlena into a dream state and playing out all those fantasies with her which ultimately left her vulnerable to possession (November 1994); or whether you start from the first acts of the Desecrator (December 1994). Marlena was revealed as the Desecrator and started levitating etc just before Christmas. She wasn't free of the demon until the following July.

Edited by Dion

• Members

Agreed. That’s one thing I liked about Reilly’s 1.0 run from ‘93-97. They always played it straight. There was no cheeky dialogue or winks to the audience. The film “The Exorcist” was never even mentioned once. They were 100% real despite their constant unrealistic obstacles. 

Edited by Gray Bunny

• Members

I think what's exciting is that between this and Beyond Salem, they are doing a great job of keeping Days in the pop culture zeitgeist. 

Soaps have such a rich history of promos that rile up excitement, it feels like Days of old.

Also, as I recall, the possession in 1994 was one of those stories that was consistently interrupted by the OJ trial.  Here in Los Angeles, it seemed like every third commercial during the trial was for the storyline.  And it felt both endless and repetitive because there were so many delays and disruptions that it extended the plot. 

Edited by j swift

• Members

It probably goes without saying, but camp (as defined by Susan Sontag) is produced in earnest, without a wink and nod.  Stefano in a cravat with an undetermined European accent, Marlena and her fancy peignoir sets while being exercised, and the blind priest who can't sense when others are in the room were camp.  Middle aged actors doing stunts was camp.  And the cheap sets, special effects, and stock music were camp.  If those things were planned, it would seem silly and take us out of the drama.

Overt camp is not usually well received, because it takes away the audience's agency when we are being told what is funny, rather than being allowed to decide for ourselves.

I liked the self-parody of Rinna's scenes in Beyond Salem, but I think a writer can't force humor on soap fans without getting some pushback.  So, it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Edited by j swift

• Members

I think it many ways this story has already been a success just in its announcement...people are talking about it! It's on non-soap sites as news. That's huge.

I'll hold out ultimate judgement until I see how the actual story plays out.

Edited by pdm1974