DAYS: June 2021 Discussion Thread

• Members

They definitely were much more natural together.  I think a lot of it is JH though.  She plays it so OTT and JR just is more lowkey.  Tbh, I don't mind the pairing, but do they really have anything in common besides being the only two black actors of a certain age lol?  But then I guess Paulina's only other option would be Roman, which I might not be against?

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Since they are clearly setting there to be more to Paulina than meets the eye I am willing to let the story unfold to see where they are going with it.

Also I have seen enough couples that are EXACTLY like that (OTT woman married to a low-key chill quiet guy) that it doesn't shock me too much

• Members

Abe and Valerie had a viable future together; it's a shame TPTB didn't realize it, because even in her visits, there is still chemistry between them.

I'm just sure he's happy to be used in-story.

Plus, it was nice having another doctor at the hospital that was not in the Brady/Horton circle, per say, etc.

• Members

I just think the TPTB lost interest in both Val and Val/Abe.  Much like they lost interest with Kayla/Abe and Kate/Abe.  I think it's difficult too because Days already has severe pacing problems and I don't JR has a high amount of guarantees.  I think he appears about as much as JT.

I actually think part of Val's problem is that her/Kayla fill a similar role at the hospital.  You generally don't need both of them treating everyone.  I think that's why we hardly ever saw Sarah work as well. 

• Members

"Suddenly you're a bum again with that by your side." Love Kate. Gabi sure has a lot of nerve telling someone else that they're needy, desperate, and pathetic. No honey, that's you whenever you're with Jake!

"Peacock and chill." Lani looked lovely in purple today. I like that she and Eli are normal people. I know they're not necessarily the most exciting couple on the show, but I find them refreshing. They're stable, they're normal, and a lot of the time they say what I'm thinking, lol.

• Members

I mean it's just a idea, but Paulina seems more like Roman's type of woman.  We've seen him with a few OTT women like Anna and Kate.

It's early in their story like someone upthread said, so I'll see how it plays out.  JR/Abe hasn't gotten so many mentions in this thread in years.  Not since Lexie was alive lol!

I find Lani/Eli very boring.  I like them and the fact there are stable, but they need a bigger problem than Chanel seeing Eli naked repeatedly.  

• Members

They need to modify that dialogue between Paulina and Abe, because it won’t wear well on a continued basis.

I feel the same way about Chanel and Allie. How many times do we have to hear Chanel is sexually fluid and hear comments when she hugs Allie? Sexuality is not a storyline.

I also thought it was bizarre to hear Paulina make comments to her own daughter about having sex with Allie. She acted like her sorority sister  instead of her mother.

• Members

To be fair, from Chanel's introduction it does seem like they've always had a kind of inapproriate parent/child situation where Paulina would probably more often than not act as her friend instead of her mother (hence why Paulina putting her foot down re: money came as a shock). But maybe that's just me giving Ron too much credit because I doubt he's really thought about their background story that much.

Edited by te.

• Members

I was pleasantly surprised they mentioned Peter during this DiMera Enterprises nonsense (I guess props for the "conference room").  I agree that Missy holding this character hostage for 21 years since her '00 return is INSANE.  The fact that J&J were so reluctant for Abby to marry into the DiMera family while never mentioning their very significant, storied personal history with them wasn't just intellectually stupid, it was the biggest missed opportunity to create so much story and conflict for Jenn and Chabby.  Missy calling those kinds of shots is completely unacceptable.  The only two times I recall her Jenn ever being linked to Peter was when she first came back, Stefano super ominously welcomed her back home and after the Chick-fil-A tweet, Kristen mentioned Peter to her.

However, despite this, Chick-fil-A, and Candace Owens, I absolutely love her as Jennifer.  When she outed herself as homophobic, I was pretty gutted and torn because I grew up loving her, but I can separate her and Jennifer.  And for so many reasons, she really embodies Jenn.  Mostly because of her really long-term histories and chemistry with the other vets and most of the cast.  And when she tries, she exudes such warmth and enthusiasm . . . this can work against her with her love interests, though, because she often comes off as acting like 14-years-old.  Except with Matt Ashford, because she plays such a range of emotions with him.  And I think she did great with Greg Vaughan in the beginning, because she got to play dark (I even think she did a good job with Justin Melvey's Colin once it got all dangerous).  And I do think she's on the same tier as Marlena and Hope because she's had 36 years on the show and she's really been the anchor Horton of her generation.  She connects a huge swath of characters and, sure, she doesn't have an infamous story like MarDevil or Princess Gina, but she's as enduring a heroine as them, in my opinion.  While I think Marlena is an undeniable icon, I think Hope and Jenn are actually more important to the fabric of the show because of being the lead Horton characters for decades.

And I really appreciated Cady as Jenn, and I want Cady on now if it means that's how we'll get Jenn back on the canvas.  She did great work and really slid in pretty seamlessly.  But I was missing the connection that Missy brings, esp. with Cady's lack of chemistry with Jennifer's family.  And Missy had the best chemistry with Kate Mansi, Marci Miller, and Casey Moss.  I did really like Cady opposite Matt, though.  I don't know, it was a different vibe but I liked her very much.  I'd prefer Missy back, but if she's going to make things uncomfortable backstage and esp. if she's going to have extremely limited availability (it's felt like that for years), I would love for Cady to be put on a long-term contract.