GH December 2020 Discussion

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Lol!  Sam just follows a long line of chicks who are "ride or die" until the first few car bombs.  And then they are all like the mob is the worst.  She's not Robin or Brenda who didn't realize the extent of the mob and what being a mob lackey meant in 1996.  She knew damn well what Jason did from the jump.  So obviously she's free to decide it's not for her and her kids, but don't pretend like this is all a big surprise or this wasn't exactly what you signed up for.

• Members

GH is basically unwatchable.  It's mob repeat and rinse plus vets who shouldn't be on screen (Maxie, Scottie to name a few), other vets who are great and have no storyline (Finn, Anna) and a whole group of hair models who fill up screen time because they come cheap (Chase, Portia, Trina, Cam, Joss, Lucas) and horrible characters who should have been cut years ago (can we say Leisel).  Poor Genie, her weight gain is not flattering.  

I watched the Jasam centric episode from last week when she dumped him and I though I was watching a 2010 episode.  Who cares.  

About a quarter of the show each week is somewhat entertaining. Jane Elliot looks gorgeous and can take any material and make it interesting.  

• Members

I give Brenda of that time period that pass, but not Robin.  She saw first hand as a kid what it was like, when they killed Duke.  I even remember her talking about that during the Labine era.

The arc of Brenda just wanting to know how deep in Sonny was, after she had been shot at and almost killed, which lead to wearing the wire was so good back in the day. And to me, that story culminates with clink/boom, and everyone now cannot ignore what Sonny does and what could happen.  People were still allowed to point out Sonny was dangerous without the writing making it seem like it was wrong.

• Members

It's definitely two different levels of story telling.  Sam has never got near the writing or motivation Brenda did so it's almost unfair to compare them.  And Sonny had actual layers to him.  He was lying about the business and he was grey as opposed to now where Jason and Sonny are heroic mobsters which isn't even a thing lol.

Robin knew about the mob, but I do feel she turned a blind eye to it at times.  And she was basically okay with Jason's role in it for most of their relationship.  She never had the blinders on like Brenda.

• Members

I think an interesting argument could be made that Robin at that time wasn’t sure how long she would have to live.  Then she leaves and the medications get better and she sees more of a future, which makes going after Jason less appealing.  She still looked out for him, but not as a couple again.

While listening to SB and BA’s podcast with Kimberly, I thought it was really funny that it was Steve that asked Bob Guza to bring Robin back, because he wanted to be paired together again.  And KMc told them she didn’t want to come back and do Jason/Robin again

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I loved Jason/Robin, so I was always sad they never went back to it.  In 1997, I would have told you that pairing was endgame lol.  I do like that Robin grew up and basically got over her Jason love.  I am not a big Scrubs fan, but I do like that Robin is one of the few characters that showed growth.  Plus, Jason and Sonny were really mean to her when she told the actual truth about Michael to AJ.  I am still mad the show made her seem like the bad guy all at the altar of Carly and Michael.  But I digress...

Seriously, I am surprised the show never re-did them though.

• Members

That's pretty much an argument that I was going to make. Robin initially bonded with Jason at a time when her future was uncertain and she recognised a kindred spirit in Jason, whose future was also uncertain. However, Robin then started a new HIV treatment protocol in early 1997 (there even was a several episodes long mini-arc that went into the pros and cons of the new drug regime) and I think there was a subtle shift in that she began to see more of a future after that. Jason getting shot later that year (for the first time, so it was actually a big deal not like today lol)  was another wake up call and they broke up for months after Robin tried to have Sonny fire Jason. And then of course came the Carly/Michael thing which eventually drove Robin out of Port Charles.

When Robin returned to Port Charles in 2005, her outlook had changed dramatically and she could now see herself settling down and having a family, but not with Jason (after all, they'd already tried with Michael to an extent and it had been a disaster).