Y&R December 2020 Discussion Thread

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Nina. Nina Nina Nina.

Please register in order to view this content

I will sit through as many episodes needed. They did put in some effort. Her little interaction with Jill was great and I appreciated the use of history for her talk with Victoria. Justin Gaston is sweet and hot as Chance. Nina teasing him about forgetting the rings and the way they related to each other was so nice. Also lovely seeing Ashley again.

Nikki and Victor's little moment at the end was very touching. Great to see all the flashbacks.

Joshua Morrow looked divine. The hair, the beard, that beautiful suit. Yum.

I was not prepared for Traci to sing, taking over from Gina. It instantly moved me to tears.

• Members

I read at a soap news website that Christel Khalil turned down a contract 8 years ago because she refused to be paired with a black man romantically.  I wasn't surprised.  She doesn't date black men in real life either.  That explains why Lily Winters has never had a black boyfriend.  

• Members

See, I find this unprofessional and terribly self-involved. Who cares if Christel dates whites guys? But on the show, if the script calls for Lily to have a romantic relationship with a black guy, that's the way it is going to be. CK is/was playing a character. It is called projection. Putting yourself in the shoes of another person. I can't stand actors on soaps who dictate stupid [!@#$%^&*] like this in order to maintain their own personal comfort zone of mediocrity. Y&R let too many self-important folk pull these kind of demands the last two decades.

Frankly, Lily should have been a character so central to the show that she could date black, white, Asian, male, female, IMO. But that's another issue entirely!

I also heard that CK turned down the contract because she was hoping to get picked up in teen shows on Primetime and wanted a fast out from her Daytime job.

• Members

I’m curious if CK dictated the no-black-guy edict (which I’m skeptical about) or if Y&R imposed it. As it stands, CK has certainly had more A-story opportunities than any non-Latinx actress of color in daytime in the past 10-15 years, perhaps because her “racial ambiguity” made it safe to pair her with the show’s golden [read: white] boys. As we’ve seen, Y&R has repeatedly marginalized its black male characters. Cane, who wasn’t particularly well-drawn, had a whole family built around him (played two of the most famous soap actors ever) after his Chancellor ruse was uncovered. Would a black male character been offered that same level of development? Would Lily have been given (ridiculously SORASed) children if paired with a black man?

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

Somehow I doubt we will ever know the real story behind why "Lily" has never had a Black love interest, but I will say this:-- it is quite unusual that a character who has been on the canvas as long as Lily has never had a love interest with any man of color. Most of the other characters in her cohort, past and present, have either had close relationships with Black men or romantic partnerships. Ashley Abbott has had two romantic pairings with men of color, for crying out loud.

The funny thing is that if CK has/had truly made this stipulation, it would be little wonder why she could not get primetime work--producers, showrunners, not even writers would not want to work with an actress who made such a demand, she would be seen as difficult to work with, career suicide (and word would get around). I don't think CK is that dumb, do you?

Still, perhaps there may be something in her demeanor that sends the message that she prefers White guys. In any case, I thought she had chemistry with RW that could have blossomed, given the chance, but we all know what became of that. Very odd, that a ssupposedly serious actor would want to limit themselves in that way, if this is the case. No wonder Abby gets more prominent storylines.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

It's been lovely -- truly, a breath of fresh air. It's telling, and it shows us what an impact nostalgia and legacy characters have. Nina and Jill's scenes are some of the best of 2020 for me. Tricia Cast has brought so much needed...something. I can't think of the word. Levity? Calm? Like everything is going to be okay. Her presence fits like a glove. I never imagined an Abby wedding is what would draw me in again, but here we are

Please register in order to view this content

She is Ashley and Victor's daughter, so maybe it's not that shocking, but it's been a nice surprise.

• Members

Do you have an iPad? CBS.com works well there.

Without proof, I find it unseemly and ugly to say CK refuses to have a relationship on the show with a black man. That rumor has been around for years, and no one has any evidence she ever said this or demanded it. I highly doubt she had the power to get that written into a contract.

And no, the fact that her show relationships have been with white men is not proof.

I’m no CK stan, although I do like her as Lily. My point here is that it’s awful to accuse someone of this — something that’s basically racist — without proof. It’s the very worst of social media.

• Members

Tricia Cast said on the SOD podcast that she loved her return and she’s open to recurring indefinitely if they want her. They should definitely take her up on that. Tricia Cast was critical to the formula of the show and had she not decided to leave I think Nina would’ve remained important. She brings such a joy and wistfulness to the show. The girl from the wrong side of the tracks who finally made it and strives to be happy. I just love the vibe she brings!!

I also give them props for how they used her across the entire week, which is the only reason I watched the entire week lol. I expected them to drop her into the wedding, but the added stuff with Jill, Esther, Cricket and Lauren were added bonuses. Also, I’ll never stop saying it: It’s time Lauralee Bell gets a front burner storyline and no I don’t mean with Paul’s boring ass. 

Y&R does have vibrant cast members but they don’t use them. 

• Members

Sorry but I don't own an iPad and don't intend to buy one. By the time I replace my laptop (it will be an investment as it is a design laptop and I have a specific brand/make in mind, which is unfortunately expensive but, at least upgradeable, which is important to me). By then, I am sure the "free" Y&R episodes will be under CBS All Access lock and key.

Oh well, Thanks anyway.