Racism and racial representation on soaps

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

When they’ve shared scenes together the chemistry is pretty off the charts and it’s glaring because they will literally pair Brooke with *anybody*. Considering how he looks, the only reason a shallow show like B&B wouldn’t give him an actual story has to be due to his race. Especially when it comes to the Steffy pairing which fans have been asking for for YEARS. 

• Members

I feel bad for Lawrence St. Victor. I remember he started off as green on GL and was heavily criticized as the “prestigious acting school graduate” although to be fair the writing for Remy pretty lousy as even though he suppose to be a good guy he was written to be antagonistic. I admit I did enjoy final story with Karla Mosley’s character even though it was silly at least. 

I’ve enjoyed St. Victor on B&B it’s shameful that the show has given him so very little to do. It reminds me of how B&B hired that guy who was the winner of the first season of “I Wanna Be a Soap Star!” on SoapNet not long after his brief winning stint on GH ended. They hyped it up how he was Lt. Baker’s son and how he’d be more involved on the show but ended up being a worthless bit player for years before he stopped appearing.

• Members

Oh yes darling, a Brooke/Carter/Steffy love triangle would be smoking... but, with B&B and other soaps, it's all about the penis. You have Steffie or Hope being fought over by Carter vs. Liam, and you know one of them just doesn't *measure up* and it's never spoken about but you know it's the reason. Same reason why we have president Limp Noodle who obsesses over the previous president. 

Yup... 

• Members

My girl made time TODAY

@Chris B great post and I share your energy. I am beyond tired of this [!@#$%^&*] and now is the time people are LISTENING and maybe change can finally [!@#$%^&*] happen.

I swear to god the swear filter on this forum is so stupid. Trust me, no one under 18 is on this site. [!@#$%^&*], probably no one under 30.

• Members

Damn you didn't have to out our old as.ses like that. But you're probably right. Besides, let's not pretend these teens haven't heard worse. They are having threesomes at 14 according to Erika on RHOBH.

Happy that VR is continuing to push the issue. 

• Members

Here's a clip from Guiding Light from 1967 featuring Dr. Jim Frazier played by Billy Dee Williams. Jim Frazier and his wife, Martha Frazier, were the first regular AA characters on a soap from what I've read. May have been posted on the forum before, but thought I'd share here. 

Dr. Jim Frazier was a hospital administrator at Cedars Hospital. Billy Dee fumbles his lines a bit at the 4 minute mark. 

Billy Dee has appeared in the Star Wars franchise, GH: Night Shift, GH, Dynasty and other works.

-----------

Brighter Day was the first soap to include an AA character as well as the first two have an AA on contract although short lived as the soap was cancelled soon after.

Mon, 09.17.1962

First Black actor cast in an American TV Soap Opera

rex-ingram--300x291.jpg

Rex Ingram

On this date in 1962, the first Black actor integrated American day time television.  Rex Ingram, appeared as an ordained minister named Victor Graham on the show "A Brighter Day."

In August on that year, the show made history by creating the first daytime television contract role for an Black, but had no time to make much of an impact, as the show was cancelled two weeks later on September 28.

Source: https://aaregistry.org/story/first-black-actor-cast-on-american-soap-opera/#:~:text=On this date in 1962,show "A Brighter Day."

Edited by GLATWT88