Racism and racial representation on soaps

• Members

Well said. She should be able to speak out about the injustices she's faced and those in the industry, yet still want to be on the show. These are complex issues and she can hold one opinion about the show and her character and another about what she's endured BTS. VR has a connection to the character and is loyal to the fans. It speaks volumes that she wanted to bring Y&R to all those displaced by the hurricane. 

Besides, she can make more change from the inside taking space at the table than shouting from the outside. The current climate has helped issues like this to get more notice and act as a catalyst and speed up the process, but in most cases change doesn't happen as quickly. VR can seem contradictory by asking to be back on the show and call out the unfairness she endured at the show, but when talking about race and issues of race she's up against an unfair system, besides everyone needs some coin. 

I have to agree with everyone on Tyler Perry's shows. I always thought most of his work resembled bad daytime soap operas, but he catered to an audience that was neglected for a long time especially when it comes to drama series/serials.

Edited by GLATWT88

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

James Reynolds (I know he’s still on DAYS but seems open), Renee Jones, Donn Swaby, Petronia Paley, Vivica A. Fox, Loren Lott, Henry Simmons, Ellen Bethea, Nathan Purdee, Tonya Lee Williams, and Sherri Saum would also be good additions. I’d also like to hear from the “soap hoppers”:

Stephanie E. Williams

Russell Curry

Randy Brooks

William Christian

• Members

I'd also like to see actors whose time in daytime was relatively short, like an Eddie Earl Hatch, who could offer an interesting perspective on the industry.  I'd like to hear whether his views of his time on As The World Turns are the same as they were decades ago.

• Members

I don't want them to undo Dru's death either but she's passionate about it, so I support her. 

Personally, I feel like VR should be out creating and producing content b/c she is extremely talented. I say spill the tea on all those that wronged you at Y&R and use that press coverage to promote and create new content. 

• Members

I’d prefer Dru back from the dead than the long-lost twin trope, and that’s the only time I’d ever say that. At least she’d have established connections to characters on the canvas, even without Neil (Devon, Lily, Nate, a possible Olivia, Sharon, Phyllis, even Jill and the Newmans to an extent). VR is the rare actress who can sell bad writing, too, which is guaranteed on a soap these days. She and Mishael Morgan would be electrifying.

• Members

I would live to see her get to play an amnesia storyline where Dru has a different family even, just to see the story of integrating all aspects of her life together again when she begins to remember.  Great way to use flashbacks to reintroduce her to newer viewers as well. Scenes of her dancing, with Neil, with Olivia!

I can already see her remembering Neil and then also what they have lost with it being too late to see him again.

• Members

AND...that different family she has?  Includes a daughter (or step/foster daughter) named Lily.  That way, you could kill off CK's Lily and STILL have a daughter of Dru's with the same name, but portrayed by a different (and better!) actress.  It's like recasting, but without the recasting!

• Members

I used to hate her, and she certainly never gelled with the Winters family early on, but I think she’s grown a whole lot as an actress. Enough that I actually enjoy her. She and Mishael had wonderful hate chemistry. Y&R was dumb af for killing off Hilary.

• Members

Honestly, the story could still be told with good sensitive writing that plays all the beats.

We never saw where Sarge lived or who he would've lived with.  Or perhaps he left town and moved back to his hometown where his wife was being taken care of by his family.  Or maybe his wife was in a rehabilation facility/nursing home and decided to take her out due to hearing about how many people were getting infected with COVID-19 in nursing homes.

Maybe that new clinic in Genoa city has need for a physical therapist and Jack, hearing about it from Devon, tells Devon that he might know someone.  Jack contacts Sarge about the position.  Sarge is non-committal but tells Jack he will give it some serious consideration. Sarge, weighing the pros and cons, decides that he liked Genoa City and perhaps this could be a great opportunity, so he says yes. Unbeknownst to Jack and anyone else in GC, Sarge won't be returning to GC alone--he will be returning with his wife.

There could be a series of episodes where his wife wanders out on her own (which upsets Sarge as he feels it is unsafe for her to wander around a town that she doesn't know her way around) but his wife feels safe and that there is an odd familiarity and comfort to the town.  Sarge is glad that she likes the town but urges her not to wander out on her own again.  Eventually, his wife starts having odd flashes and needs to pursue why.  She secretly ventures out again at times when Sarge is at work.  Little by little she starts having stronger flashes and recollections until she starts seeing faces, and wanders closer to the center of town.  Who will spot her first?  From a distance she sees  Devon, Lily (whoever plays her, lol) and sees a man's face in her dreams and starts having memories of him. At a beach, getting married.  The man is not Sarge.

• Members

Unfortunately, this show would rather take the easy way out and say Dru's been in a coma this entire time and being kept (under an assumed name) in a hospital by Victor, or Jack, or Adam, or Devon, or who the hell knows.