Racism and racial representation on soaps

I don't know if it's just a Y&R/CBS/Sony thing, I think they had VR blacklisted from the mainstream industry - it's not like ABC or Brad Bell at B&B (and we know he loves popular Y&R rejects), for example, are clamoring to hire her and they haven't in the last 13 years. 

Edited by BetterForgotten
  • Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, BetterForgotten said:

I don't know if it's just a Y&R/CBS/Sony thing, I think they had VR blacklisted from the mainstream industry - it's not like ABC or Brad Bell at B&B (and we know he loves popular Y&R rejects), for example, are clamoring to hire her and they haven't in the last 13 years. 

She claims Brad wanted to hire her but was blocked by CBS/Sony (which does make sense since she had an active lawsuit).

1 hour ago, VanessaReardon said:

Did VR ever win any of her lawsuits? 

They settled. And with Brad Bell, there were emails included in her lawsuit. She was definitely going to B&B it looked like from those emails. Same with DAYS. Marnie Siatta was fired as Casting Director by LML and Ed Scott brought her to DAYS. She specifically sought out VR but Sony removed her from the audition list. 

I don’t know how widespread the blacklist was though bc she did still keep working. I think it was mostly soaps and CBS/Viacom projects where she had issues. 

How in the world did I forget these scenes with David and Kat on GL? Was this the first time the N word was used on a soap? 

Edited by Vizion
4 hours ago, janea4old said:

Olivia employed a nurse/nanny for little Nate, and that character was named "Julia" (I don't know if the show gave her a last name?).

The actress playing Julia was Pamella D'Pella. She has a Y&R acting reel here:

She was good! 

BTW I loved the little girl playing Lily.

1 hour ago, Vizion said:

How in the world did I forget these scenes with David and Kat on GL? Was this the first time the N word was used on a soap? 

No.

The ‘N’ Word was used on AMC in January 1992, when Terrence was attacked by the 2 white racists at the gym.

I don’t know if that was the first time ever on a  soap, though.

Edited by Pine Charles

Question: we’ve had actors who identify as Native American (A Martinez has emphasized his Apache and Piegan heritage along with his Mexican background), but how many Native/indigenous characters have we had on daytime? I believe Kimberly Norris (now Guerrero) played a Native character on ATWT before she played Jerry’s girlfriend on Seinfeld.

I just read the VR article.  Honestly I'm so tired of hearing her.  It's old now and she just doesn't stop.  If mouthy whiny complaining white women can be called "Karen" then she's a Karen. 

Edited by Fevuh
1 hour ago, Fevuh said:

I just read the VR article.  Honestly I'm so tired of hearing her.  It's old now and she just doesn't stop.  If mouthy whiny complaining white women can be called "Karen" then she's a Karen. 

Except her complaints have validity. But sure she's a Karen. 

Even I must admit I was wrong to criticize VR back in the day for going on about the racial and ethnic inequalities happening BTS at Y&R and elsewhere.  Back then, I thought she was being bitter and refusing to move on.  But now, I'm starting to think that, if anything, she might've held back on some of the gorier details.

1 hour ago, Fevuh said:

It's not like she's running around threatening to call the police on people for nothing or blocking people from going into their apartment buildings or coughing on people because they don't want to follow social distancing rule. She has real complaints.

32 minutes ago, Khan said:

Even I must admit I was wrong to criticize VR back in the day for going on about the racial and ethnic inequalities happening BTS at Y&R and elsewhere.  Back then, I thought she was being bitter and refusing to move on.  But now, I'm starting to think that, if anything, she might've held back on some of the gorier details.

The problem is that people focus on the delivery and not the message.

Just now, Darn said:

The problem is that people focus on the delivery and not the message.

And boy are we learning that lesson right now! 

Please register in order to view this content