Racism and racial representation on soaps

• Members

I don't know if it's just a Y&R/CBS/Sony thing, I think they had VR blacklisted from the mainstream industry - it's not like ABC or Brad Bell at B&B (and we know he loves popular Y&R rejects), for example, are clamoring to hire her and they haven't in the last 13 years. 

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

They settled. And with Brad Bell, there were emails included in her lawsuit. She was definitely going to B&B it looked like from those emails. Same with DAYS. Marnie Siatta was fired as Casting Director by LML and Ed Scott brought her to DAYS. She specifically sought out VR but Sony removed her from the audition list. 

I don’t know how widespread the blacklist was though bc she did still keep working. I think it was mostly soaps and CBS/Viacom projects where she had issues. 

• Members

Question: we’ve had actors who identify as Native American (A Martinez has emphasized his Apache and Piegan heritage along with his Mexican background), but how many Native/indigenous characters have we had on daytime? I believe Kimberly Norris (now Guerrero) played a Native character on ATWT before she played Jerry’s girlfriend on Seinfeld.

• Members

I just read the VR article.  Honestly I'm so tired of hearing her.  It's old now and she just doesn't stop.  If mouthy whiny complaining white women can be called "Karen" then she's a Karen. 

Edited by Fevuh

• Members

Even I must admit I was wrong to criticize VR back in the day for going on about the racial and ethnic inequalities happening BTS at Y&R and elsewhere.  Back then, I thought she was being bitter and refusing to move on.  But now, I'm starting to think that, if anything, she might've held back on some of the gorier details.

• Members

It's not like she's running around threatening to call the police on people for nothing or blocking people from going into their apartment buildings or coughing on people because they don't want to follow social distancing rule. She has real complaints.