Racism and racial representation on soaps

• Members

I just checked out his twitter. And wow...he's a condescending deliberately ignorant prick. There's no compassion there, no listening, all he cares about is his own white voice being heard. 

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Thank you! I feel the exact same way. I do not understand the desire to pressure people into speaking out. I’m a drag queen and on my Facebook there are so many people who keep pressuring bars and promoters and other queens to speak out and I don’t understand why. Especially since I know personally how racist some of them are. I’d rather people do what they want so you know who truly is with you and not just saying what they need to say. To me, it’s more harmful when these racists lie and act like they care because when they do something racist they’ll just use that as cover. 

• Members

OLTL - went from 8 black characters, AT THE SAME TIME, to 2 in less than a year.  Rachel Gannon and Terrell Tilford were a really good pairing that lasted about 2 days.  They passed Renee Goldsberry around to every non black male on the show.  Granted she had amazing chem with everyone...but still!

ATWT - went from 4 black males to 1 in 18 months, leaving us with that simp, Pete Parros.  This will never be forgiven!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Not many liked Doc but I thought he and Margot were really hot.  Great chem.  The triangle involving 2 married woman [best friends] and an ex football player turned commentator was too freaking soapy for words, hilarious as hell when you really think about the clueless spouses.  

I think you guys covered just about everything else.  

• Members

I was just watching Geoffrey Ewing in a 1995 episode of Loving, which was around the time he played Griffin, Gilly’s father she nearly banged, on GL. What a gorgeous man daytime utterly wasted.

Stumbled on this, a tour de force from Debbi Morgan in AMC’s later years:

@ajsp35801

• Members

Geoffrey Ewing is absolutely wonderful in the later episodes of the Loving Murders playlist with Maggie Rush as Lorraine. (I Googled her BTW, she's still beautiful) I know they brought Lorraine onto The City and gave her a cool pairing with Roscoe Born and said she and Charles broke up bc he was on the rebound, but I like to think they're back together.

• Members

That’s the playlist I’m watching. Looking forward to that.

One thing I’m noticing is the amount of agency Angie and Jacob are given on Loving. They are allowed to mix it up and get into white folks’ faces in ways that soaps don’t usually allow. They feel like leads (and I do know they ultimately ushered Loving off the air as it morphed into The City).

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

We've been talking about it a lot lately in several threads, including this one and the Loving one. The black canvas and its central force in story on LOV '95 is consistently amazing to me, even more now than when I was watching as a kid bc on today's soaps, 25 years later, it'd never happen. I just wish we could see Elise Neal's character, a young schemer who I don't remember and who was killed off as a rushed rewrite in '94.

Edited by Vee

• Members

And again totally sad that it happened on a soap that, even during a high-profile umbrella story, few watched (due to poor clearance, for one - it never aired in St. Louis when I was growing up) as it was on its way out (well, on to an ill-fated reboot). But I do think, at least on ABC, Debbi and Darnell commanded more than a modicum of respect. That certainly DID NOT extend to their CBS roles.

• Members

I had not read this. I'll check it out. 

"I have never felt on the set of Days I was treated less than anyone else because I was black. I do feel the black characters on the show should be more on the forefront and equal to some of the white counterparts. It should be equal or close to it. I don’t keep track of how many episodes I have in relation to other actors. That’s not my job. My job is to take my lines, go to work, and do the best I can with it. I just hope that there is some change for the stories that are being told for the black counterparts on the show. What I can say with certainty is that I have always believed that we need more than three.” 

If Lamon knows that Black characters aren't equal to white counterparts then what does he contribute it to if it isn't race?  Lack of talent? Lack of looks? Lack of fan interest? None of that applies to him and Sal Stowers! He had an opportunity here and he continued to toe the line. 

• Members

She appears to be happily married with a sculptor daughter in Arizona. I'd kill to have seen Lorraine again on AMC 2.0, preferably reunited with Charles. (side note: Do not ask me about the teen scene Halloween trip to the ghost town of Corinth I'd write if I had an ABC soap revival to myself.)

Rush also apparently had a recurring role as a doctor on PC in '98 - I do not remember that at all and would love to see it.