Jump to content


Faulkner

Racism and racial representation on soaps

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, Vizion said:

 

Preachhhhhh!!!!! Viewers are complicit

 

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22 minutes ago, KMan101 said:

 

Yep! And it's SO frustrating.

 

I tried to get folks on social media talking about Rowell and Dru and was blown off. "It's too late" etc. It's not even about that. It's CORRECTING THE WRONG DONE TO HER.

 

The outrage viewers had over Loren Lott's firing lasted all of like a day or two until Y&R placated fans by bringing Mishael back at the same time.

 

Why is more noise not being made about a Black actress being told "we have no story for you" yet they have no trouble with everyone else. 

 

  • YR kept Staff after she assaulted VR
  • YR tried to keep MM after he assaulted HK
  • But it's too late for VR/Dru?  Yeah ok.  

 

Loren Lott was basically told they are writing for the characters who matter, which is why she had to go.  


At the height of Dru's popularity, VR brought an energy YR had never seen.  Many of the white leads and TIIC had a problem with that.  When you think of YR, a black face should not be the first thing to come to mind.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Aback said:

I don't think there was much thought put into the Carmen character. However I'll say that the "Of course you don't understand, you can't hear me" was a subtle way to show how condescending and ignorant she was. For all of Latham's fault, I think we were supposed to be on Dru's side.

 

Thank you! that's what I wanted to say but couldn't find the words for.  There was definitely that layer in what Devon was saying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, ChitHappens said:

 

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

  • YR kept Staff after she assaulted VR
  • YR tried to keep MM after he assaulted HK
  • But it's too late for VR/Dru?  Yeah ok.  

 

Loren Lott was basically told they are writing for the characters who matter, which is why she had to go.  


At the height of Dru's popularity, VR brought an energy YR had never seen.  Many of the white leads and TIIC had a problem with that.  When you think of YR, a black face should not be the first thing to come to mind.  

 

Yet for me she has always been the face that comes to mind. 

 

I mean, look at Amanda Sinclair. How boring can you get? Don't tell me that isn't being done on purpose because it is. You could literally remove her next week and fan outcry would not be nearly as bad (well it would for different reasons now, but you know what I'm trying to say)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, KMan101 said:

 

Yet for me she has always been the face that comes to mind. 

 

I mean, look at Amanda Sinclair. How boring can you get? Don't tell me that isn't being done on purpose because it is. You could literally remove her next week and fan outcry would not be nearly as bad (well it would for different reasons now, but you know what I'm trying to say)

 

They are making sure lighting does not strike twice with MM!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ChitHappens said:

 

They are making sure lighting does not strike twice with MM!

 

Yep. Exactly. It's so maddening and SO BLATANTLY OBVIOUS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was also trying to think of frontburner Black villains on soaps who lasted more than a few months and didn’t merely exist just to make a white/Latino character look good before being disposed of (à la Taylor on AMC or Keri on OLTL). Would Liz on Passions and Virginia on SuBe count? (Edit: forgot Lexie’s turn to the dark side on DAYS.) It’s crazy that, in all their years on the show, neither Dru nor Olivia on Y&R ever really had a Sheila/Phyllis/Isabella-type character to go up against. (I know Dru tangled with Phyllis but that was long after Ms. Summers had become a heroine.) Carmen was the closest Dru ever had, and that character was not particularly well-crafted, to say the least.

Edited by Faulkner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Faulkner said:

I can’t believe, all these years later, that name is still censored. The drama we used to have on these forums. 😂 

 

Can we have some real fückery and just cast Florencia Lozano as Jennifer Horton? We already had KdP miscast as Kentucky Fried Eve, and you just know RC wants his Tea/Blair redux...

 

If we can't have #JusticeforJasonBrooks  (ya know, if he's, like, not interested in returning), how about a GL supercouple to DAYS with Chamberlin as Jennifer and Grant Aleksander as a Peter Blake recast?  They could FINALLY utilize this character again! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Gray Bunny said:

 

If we can't have #JusticeforJasonBrooks  (ya know, if he's, like, not interested in returning), how about a GL supercouple to DAYS with Chamberlin as Jennifer and Grant Aleksander as a Peter Blake recast?  They could FINALLY utilize this character again! 

Hey, I can’t get the perverse yet poetic justice of MR replaced with a WOC (when the other way around has been so commonplace), BC/GA would be awesome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, ChitHappens said:

 

They are making sure lighting does not strike twice with MM!

 

This is exactly the sense that I got about that matter. Talking about cutting off your nose to spite your face! 

Honestly Y&R has some some beautiful Black women characters, going back to the 1980s and has, for the most part, wasted every single one. VR/Dru is the one character who actually got some story written for her, with TLW/Olivia a distant second. I guess, Y&R really feared that these ladies would dim a White character's "spotlight".

 

34 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

I was also trying to think of frontburner Black villains on soaps who lasted more than a few months and didn’t merely exist just to make a white/Latino character look good before being disposed of (à la Taylor on AMC or Keri on OLTL). Would Liz on Passions and Virginia on SuBe count? (Edit: forgot Lexie’s turn to the dark side on DAYS.) It’s crazy that, in all their years on the show, neither Dru nor Olivia on Y&R ever really had a Sheila/Phyllis/Isabella-type character to go up against. (I know Dru tangled with Phyllis but that was long after Ms. Summers had become a heroine.) Carmen was the closest Dru ever had, and that character was not particularly well-crafted, to say the least.

 

I'm still livid about what ATWT did to LR/Marshall Travers.  As many times as they brought back James Stenbeck or 'reformed' John Dixon (I'd mention Craig Montgomery too but they ultimately ruined him in the show's last decade), they didn't have to go full rapist with Marshall. Such a gorgeous man LR is, and such a sexy pairing he had with TT before it all went downhill into the abyss.

I really need a skilled podcast host who will keep it 100% to do a Zoom or Google Chat with Tamara and Laman to ask them about their true feelings on that whole storyline.  I suspect they'd have much to say.  If I had the proper equipment, I'd contact them myself!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Gray Bunny said:

Side note: With all the civil unrest in the last few weeks, any peep from Kristian Alfonso? Just wonderin'... 

 

She aint stupid!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After the GL reunion, I would happily add to the voices of Beth as a recast Jennifer. Or Kimberly Simms.  Both still look great, although Beth at least has an understanding of working under the current production process.  Even DAYS today would probably be better than the last year of GL.

 

I know Sony and Y&R will not rehire Victoria Rowell, at least not until some execs are gone.  Which is awful for her

and for the viewers.  Latham may not have written good material for her, but she certainly knew the value of keeping Dru front and center.

 

And much like Ellen Holly- she deserves every opportunity to speak about how important those stories were for the show and the audience and the performers.  If that means fans and TPTB have to confront their racism by not believing, ignoring, or wishing it away so be it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gray Bunny said:

Side note: With all the civil unrest in the last few weeks, any peep from Kristian Alfonso? Just wonderin'... 

Is she still selling cheap jewelry on QVC?

Edited by BetterForgotten

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, titan1978 said:

After the GL reunion, I would happily add to the voices of Beth as a recast Jennifer. Or Kimberly Simms.  Both still look great, although Beth at least has an understanding of working under the current production process.  Even DAYS today would probably be better than the last year of GL.

 

 

Ooh you just reminded me... Krista Tesreau ages like fine wine! Add her to the wishlist :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, BetterForgotten said:

Is she still selling cheap jewelry on QVC?

Lisa Rinna sells her clothing. I'd love to see Terri Conn with her on air selling her stuff and her idiot husband, Austin Peck, wondering who Lisa Rinna is.😂

 

At least Rinna can go back to Days. I can't say that about awful Conn.

 

@titan1978 Kim would make a great Jennifer recast. At least she wouldn't look like Irene Ryan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...