Racism and racial representation on soaps

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It’s awful.  This wasn’t a special episode because they wanted to do something outside the box or celebrate an anniversary.  It was because an important person passed away.

Submitting these episodes for an award was already crass.  It’s also exploitative.  They didn’t honor their Black characters enough when he was alive, and they haven’t since this funeral.

• Members

About the only good thing Corrine Jacker did was integrate Another World's Bay City.  The actors were certainly talented, but they were given typical soap storylines.  AW also gave several recurring  dayplayer parts to African American actors when Bob and Henrietta's son, RJ, got involved with gang members.  I believe if AW's ratings had increased with the integrated cast, then more shows would have integrated their casts at the time.   It would take until 1989 for NBC to attempt this integration again with Generations.  

• Members

It's sad that people will still tune into this show when new episodes start back up again, knowing full well the show marginalized KSJ in his final years on the show, then proceeded to squelch their talented black actors and has (successfully) exploited all of them to score an Emmy, without a second thought to how badly this makes Y&R look.

At least there should be no doubt where their intentions are. Viewers can no longer claim ignorance in their complicity.

• Members

FINALLY MADE IT THROUGH!!! YAY!!!

SO... @Khan, thank you for giving me life in this thread. I lived.

This has definitely given me food for thought but worth talking about.  It did make me think about Y&R Neil. When I was earlier, it did feel like William Bell did want to see Neil stand on his own two feet. He ran Newman for a time. Then he went to run Jabot for a time. It was kinda sad that while he did become independently wealthy vs being Victor's right hand that we never really saw that feeling of achievement because I remembered that was part of his drive at one point...to be his own person with his own company. I am sure that someone who knows the history better than me can explain it better.

What did Kristian Alfonso do? I admit to be afraid of the answer, but hey...I'm grown.

It was pre-me here so I have to ask who is SWSNBN that Toup AND Errol have the name barred. Is it a specific writer for a specific magazine by chance or am I off based? You can PM me.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I wonder if VR will have guests on her podcasts? If she could get Stephanie E. Williams, Tonya Lee Williams and Tamara Tunie and Tonya Pinkins, etc. to talk about their daytime experiences...that would be a hot ticket!  I really want someone to interview those actresses because I don't think anyone's asked them about their experiences in daytime in the last decade or more.

• Members

When OLTL 2.0 was on the web as a TOLN soap, I had this image of Corbin Blue's character being connected to Carla, perhaps her grandson and VR would play his mother but I knew no one in daytime was brave enough to do it. Perhaps if PP hadn't been such a structural mess, the idea might have stood a chance.

• Members

I tweeted something similar like this a few weeks ago. I hope she does get to interview them and they go in depth with their experiences as black women in the medium. I know Alan Locher reached out to Tamara Tunie twice and both times she said no. So maybe Victoria will have better luck.