Days: April 2020 Discussion Thread

• Members

I like Billy Flynn more than most seem to but I don't understand the desire to keep him over say, Kate Mansi (I'm guessing she doesn't want to be on contract and wants to be able to come and go like Sweeney). I have no desire for another crazy Abby story. None. But he's not called ReRon for nothing. Chad will have no purpose. Who do they pair him with? They don't even give him scenes with Will and Sonny anymore. I'd rather have Tony around. Chad/Abby work best together right now as a couple. 

Nicole's wardrobe has massively improved this go around.

I love Kristen stabbing Victor. YES PLEASE.

Ciara needs way more "family" time. She's way too isolated with Ben and it's really hurting her as a character, but "Cin" stans don't care about her as a character. They give Ben way more interactions than she gets, IMO. Why the [!@#$%^&*] hasn't Theo been brought back? At least it seems Claire could be back later this summer.

Edited by KMan101

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I like Billy Flynn a lot... I mean, the premise of Chad changed when he took over from Casey D, but Chad is a solid character... he is in desperate need of non-DiMera interactions, though... he's become way too insulated in that bubble.  The Chad/Sonny friendship is so special and, kind of like Nicole/Chloe, is a nice grounding touchstone for the show.  And tptb absolutely want Kate Mansi over anyone in that age range--it's her choice to not be on full time.  Billy Flynn's job shouldn't depend on her, but I don't know how you viably keep him without her after EVERYthing that has happened.

I like Tony & Anna a lot... and this'll probably be unpopular here, but I like them as pop-ins.  Less is more with these two, imo.

Nicole's styling has improved incredibly, lol.

I just don't like Ciara.  VK is great, but ever since she was soras'd for the 50th, I haven't been on board.  I want to say she needs to interact more heavily with Hope and the Bradys/Hortons... but when Josh Griffith & Dena Higley basically swapped Jenn/Abby for Hope/Ciara as the center of the Hortons, I hated it.  I think I just don't like her.  But there is still time to salvage that age group... bring back Theo... he has so much going on with the shooting, paralysis, and Autism... before she went psycho, Claire's insecurities were interesting and incorporating social media into the show is smart (it just has to be less overt and lame)... and Joey can have all kinds of $h!t going on post-prison ( the rehabilitation story Ben never got) and Lucas Adams was great as Tripp.  And I'd like Johnny and Allie to be their age--it was lovely watching them, Sydney, Ciara, Theo, and Joey grow up together during TomSell.  I'm not saying bring them all back, but it will only help Ciara and they're gonna need a new young crew soon.

• Members

Agreed on all of this. Ciara needs a friend who isn't Ben. She barely interacts with Hope! lol. I always thought Allie would make a better rival for Ciara than Claire. They were semi rivals as kids and it was hilarious. Ciara just isn't a well defined character and that hurts her a lot. I really like VK in the role and see SO much potential but it's being wasted on a stan-bait couple.

Like when the show dumped Brandon Barash, I think it was a mistake to drop Lucas Adams. Especially now that Casey Moss is gone.

The bubbles folks are in is so bad. I know a lot of it is budget/scheduling dictated but it's terrible. Why hasn't Will interacted with Marlena? Yet he's sitting around wringing his hands worried about Sarah and Maggie. MAKE IT MAKE SENSE. It shouldn't be either/or. He can worry about them and still have scenes with Marlena.

We need to see friendships. I mean, Lani and Abe barely interact. What happened to Lani and Kristen's friendship? Shouldn't they have bonded over 'losing' babies?

Agreed on Tony and Anna to a certain extent, but in reality, they should be the patriarch and matriarch of the DiMera clan. They don't need to be leads, just strong supporting, which is lacking on this show. And DAYS used to do SO well about this. It's one of the reasons fans cared so much about Shawn, Belle, Philip and Chloe.

And absolutely agreed on Chad. I don't think one actors job should depend on their on-screen partner's decision to not be around full time, but I don't see where they can go with Chad right now.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

Ya Allie vs. Ciara was great when they were kids lolol.  I loved the irony of Lumi's daughter being "good" and B&H's "bad."  I would love Allie & Johnny on the show as Ciara's contemporaries... round out the Hortons, Bradys, and DiMeras and mirror the Sami/Eric twin thing.  But I feel like Claire and Tripp really deserve a second chance and I know there's only so much room.

I just do not understand dropping Casey Moss.  Maybe I'm too biased but he is part of this show's heart for me...

I think we all want Lani/Kristen back.  And, ya, why aren't she and Abe interacting?  It kills me that we FINALLY have Lani in such a strong spot and they're not playing her.  With the diversity on the show dwindling again, it's so important.  Rafe/Gabi is important, too, for the same reason.  The show doesn't need to be a PSA, but it would be good to have a very connected canvas AND let the characters have cultural, sexual, socioeconomic, etc. identities.  I am asking for too much here, lol.

I guess I'm having trouble seeing Tony & Anna as the non traditional DiMera "patriarch & matriarch" because... they're great and absolutely would work to counterbalance Chad and Kristen... and Julie works great as an "anti-matriarch" for the Hortons, but I think, for now, I like Tony, Kristen, and Chad having to wander for a while and figure it out without their Stefano anchor.  When it comes to contract spots, I think I'd prefer to give it to someone else.  But, I completely agree that strong supporting presence is required.  Right now for the vets, we have a lot of "leads" with very little screen time and a simultaneous aversion to transition them into true supporting roles.  But I very much so hope to keep seeing Tony & Anna come in and out.

• Members

I like Brady's place in the family.  Right when he was soras'd in 2000, Tom Langan clarified that John made sure Brady and Victor had a very close relationship because of Isabella... it's like Brady represents all of the loss from Isabella and Bo for Victor.  But I appreciate they've struck a better balance between Brady being a Kiriakis AND a Black/Evans/Brady in the last couple years.

After his relationship with Kate truly ended in 2001, I think Victor only hung around because of Philip (and, to a much lesser extent, Nicole/Brady).  Then Magic happened and between Dena Higley and TomSell, the Kiriakis family finally became the integral, core family they were always supposed to be.  But I totally understand that after the early 90's, one could make the case Victor wasn't needed... but I love him lol.

• Members

Agree.  I felt the same way when (I can't believe I'm saying this) Marlena, as the Salem Stalker, "killed" Alice.  Having the oldest characters suffer acts of violence like this should be off-limits for soaps.

• Members

We usually agree about things but why? Kristen is a murderer who doesn't deserve to be happy with Brady much less be a mother. Victor is no saint either. What happened to good VS evil in soaps? There is no rooting value for either one. I have no reason to care for this story except that Sarah should keep Kristen's offspring. 

• Members

Oh and re.: Will and Maggie... his overemphasized concern for her doesn't bother me. But what bothers me about it is that he hasn't referenced Lucas once through any of this.  A decade before Brady's addiction story, it was Lucas who had the close AA relationship with Maggie and that helped to really integrate him into the Horton family back when he was still Lucas ROBERTS (still salty about that lol).  Bringing it back around to that would make it make sense.

Sadly, I think Will and Marlena aren't sharing any scenes because Chandler and Dee aren't scheduled on the same days for the massive block tapings.  Ron seems to love that relationship.  Make it work, Meng/Alarr!  Lol.

Edit: Sarah... um... I try with her because I think LG is one of the better actors to be on this show ever... and her chemistry with Xander is one of those happy accidents that gives me life.  But she truly is the new Belle/Melanie... as insane as the sympathetic writing for Kristen has been, I cheered on Thurs. when she said something like, "WHY is everyone so worried about SARAH'S feelings?!?"  This is ridiculous, and she's really erratically written--they say she's an angel but she's actually really pretty mean and unfair.

Edited by DynamiteKiddo