Days: April 2020 Discussion Thread

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

While the show is ... a mess ... I was just reminded of what we had to sit through before Ron:

Paul's jungle madness, Sonny vs. Deimos, Holly healing Brady's heart (which was Daniel's), Brady/Nicole on the run in Canada, crazy Abby/Dario, Gabi/Chad, Summer ...

I'll take lackluster homages to the past and pop in characters over anything we got from Higley or Tomsell (Tomsell 2012-2013 wasn't bad, despite their mistakes in killing Jack again and getting rid of Austin/Carrie and doing damage to John and Marlena).

Edited by KMan101

• Members

I really liked TomSell but IMO, their biggest problem was that their stories often had abrupt endings or no endings at all. 

Kristen/Brady/Eric-Kristen leaves town out of nowhere right after her aborted wedding to Brady

John/Marlena-John leaves town out of nowhere, then is put in a coma

Will/Paul/Sonny-Will is murdered.

All those storylines could have played out for years and also could have all been led in different directions based on the character's actions and personalities. 

As for Higley's stint, she doesn't have the capability as a writer to create new characters and then have the show suddenly revolve all around them, which is what she tried to do with Summer, Deimos, etc. and her OTT stuff just came off as stupid. Ron is a more capable writer then Dena (I enjoyed his first years) but his biggest flaw is that everything has to be silly or OTT. In the last year or so, it practically ate the show alive. He needs more balance and needs to get back some sense of normalcy. Honestly, these last two or three episodes felt normal to me and I hope it stays like that for a while.

• Members

I have felt a different balance lately but SO agreed on his biggest flaw. He goes overboard on things. Remember crazy Marty on OLTL in it's last year? Yikes. (Not to mention his overreliance on Crazy Jessica and the masks on GH).

I think he needs Sheri Anderson around to balance him out (you can see a slight difference when she was around, IMO). Not really sure what Quan contributes.

Tomsell did mostly well 2012-2013. So it seems there's a deeper issue with this show that is still playing out, IMO. I agree it was a lot of missed potential but I could say that about the last decade on all the soaps, lol.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

I’m loving Britt from GH as Evan’s no nonsense lawyer! Sucks it was only super short term. She’s perfect in the role. Oh shi.t she just revealed she's his sister!!!

I can’t believe Sarah stealing the baby was completely dropped for a few days. Who the f.uck thought you completely ignore your clear A. story for this Justin/Kayla/Steve triangle.

And it sure didn’t take mr. reformed Ben long to start trying to strangle people again

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by Antoyne

• Members

Let's be honest: even when Wayne Northrop was still Roman, it felt as if Stefano DiMera preferred to do battle with John.  The way DAYS has treated the character of Roman Brady, after he and Marlena were such a crucial part of their success in the early '80's, is disgraceful.

• Members

Agreed. And now with Josh Taylor, Roman is a dayplayer. Sad indeed.

Same. I like her a lot in the role.

That's what Ron does, plays a story ad nauseum and then it disappears for days or a week(s) at a time (though he did the same on GH and OLTL). Likely guarantees/scheduling. DAYS is a mess this way, it has flow and then it's like it screeches to a halt. Literally no one asked for Hope/Justin/Kayla/Steve.

It's kinda sad that Jarlena constantly having a returning "villain" in their life (Hattie 2017; Kristen 2018; Diana 2019; "Stefano" and Orpheus in 2020) is really the only thing keeping me interested. The baby switch, kind of, but it's once again going to be all about Sarah.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

Right, where has that gone? Kristen should have been leaning on Lani as they both know what it's like to lose a child. But nope. Nothing. So bizarre. It was all for plot purposes which sucks. Now Eli and Lani are back to appearing a few times a month.

I'm here for Kristen's warpath too.