Y&R to air classic episodes

• Members

I'm sorry, but early Dru is aggravating as hell. She was fine by the time of the honeymoon episode from a few weeks ago, but here and the other ep where she was in jail - was there anyone who was calling her tf out for her stank attitude? I know Mamie tried, but I mean someone around the same age who could have realistically slapped her.

Dru and Neil met to the strains of Liz Foster's Theme in the background

Please register in order to view this content

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Right, and I can only assume VR was playing it as she was told. Anyone who knows the background more than I do, please inform. I feel as though as the 90s went on, Victoria Rowell had more input in molding the character so that she was elevated from her try-hard beginnings.

• Members

I know it’s a somewhat common trope, but almost every show with a black family did the goody-two-shoes striver with the “hood” sibling they were responsible for keeping in line. Almost always a pair, as if writers could only see us in that binary. Some were better written than others and evolved past that initial conceit. Incredibly rare to have a black family of 3-4 or more siblings.

Y&R: Olivia/Dru, Neil/Malcolm

OLTL: Hank/RJ

GL: Gilly/David

ATWT: Ben/Isaac

I feel like I’m forgetting someone.

• Members

Also on Y&R, Tyrone and Jazz.

Having seen some of Dru's early episodes again, I remember how shocked I was to find out that Victoria Rowell was almost 31 years old when she started on Y&R. I think Dru was introduced as a 19 or 20 year old that ran away from home as a young teen.

Edited by kalbir

• Members

I could've done without her being illiterate, but the writing was nothing short of brilliant. There was a very clear arc and reason to Dru's behavior and it was a pleasure watching her go from overly walled up, strike-first and obnoxious to accepting love and friendship in her life, and just relaxing. She was very complex and definitely meant to be annoying. But the intention was, as the layers were peeled and we got to know her more and more, we'd fall in love with the multifaceted person. Dru learned and grew, which is the essence of drama.

• Members

The Neil and Dru scenes were fun and yes them meeting with such a classic score blaring makes it even more epic!

it’s really nice to see the scenes with Gina, Brock and Clint here it seems like such a forgotten story that Clint came back in early ‘91. 

The Brad & Cassandra stuff just sounds really bizarre, I hate this was Cassandra’s swan song story. 

Poor Jill. 

• Members

I thought Dru was adorable. Her exchange with John put a smile on my face.

It's so confusing watching Cassandra being in the midst of a murder mystery a minute and then being a businesswoman the next minute. It was equally confusing seeing Nicholas married with children one day and back as a kid the next day. Just release the whole classics already!

Please register in order to view this content

I didn't know Neil started at Jabot. It's really confusing because in the 1999 episodes posted upthread he was saying to Victor: "You took me under your wing when I was fresh out of college". BTW watching these classics reminded me how hard it was for me initially to understand if Jabot and Newman were in the same building.