Y&R to air classic episodes

• Members

Honestly I hated that scene too. First off, it looked dreary. That was the time the show was beginning to fall down production-wise. Secondly, that scene had Jack Smith's shock value stamp all over it. Every week there was: a slap! a kiss! a scandal! And watching classic episodes with Victoria, I'm sorry but that slap was out of character. She slapped her beloved father over glorified extra Diego Gutierrez or something? For Christ's sake. HT deserves my lifelong respect for walking away from that mess.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I never saw it like that.  I saw it exactly like she says it- he’s always been trying to control her, Nikki, everything.  From her first boyfriend Ryan through Diego.  I don’t think it’s Diego, it’s Victor.  She’s tired of him.  She angry with him.

But I can’t say the show was at its best then.  Better than today by far.  But still a far cry from her arrival on the show.

• Members

That promo is fantastic, but damn. This week is going to be hard knowing Dru, Neil, Olivia and Malcolm are all gone and their legacy barely gets screentime. All of the episodes picked reflect periods where these were all real, well rounded characters. Even the 2006 episode. They had screentime and story to back it up! 

• Members

Watching the attic fight episode and I must say I know some people say she's had a lot work done, I believe Sharon Case very much still looks like herself 22 years ago. Camryn Grimes as a child though is blowing my mind. And wooow Sharon is PRESSED about Grace. Is this before Nick and Sharon started cheating all the time?

These classics have allowed me to see Christian LeBlanc before he started hamming it up.

When was the last time Nikki's sister was mentioned? They basically act like she has no family outside of the one wiith Victor.

Okay so the attic fight might be the most absurd and perfect thing I've ever seen.

Edited by Antoyne

• Members

The 2014 episode was nothing special. Competent, and that’s it. Poor music, far too many storylines in one episode, dialogue that was nothing special at all, missing any energy or urgency. I didn’t care what happened on the next episode.

• Members

Neil’s first episode was great ! His initial interaction with Dru is fun and I loved John and Drucilla’s relationship. The two other storylines were enjoyable as Brock found out Gina married Clint and was shot, Brad wanted a divorce from Cassandra and the business implication. It was very short before her demise

Please register in order to view this content

I remember as a kid how shocked I was when Cassandra was killed off.

• Members

Caught up with the 1999 and 2012 episodes. Loved the 1999 one especially Kay/Mac I would love to see the next episode. Were Jill and Malcolm just friends with flirting here and there and was that always a thing? I had no idea. Almost wondering what a summer fling would have been like and Jill and Olivia going at it. Malcolm, Olivia and Neil were so aimless those years. 

The 2012 episode just highlighted the stunt casting and making Phyllis more of a homemaker era for me. I only ever liked Vail Bloom as Heather so was not interested in this one. And turning Ricky into a psycho made me so mad at the time I remember feeling the actor had charisma at least and they didn't have a younger actor with charisma until the Mal Young era for me. And OMG Daisy/Kevin/Michael. They hogged up so much boring airtime for years. Good grief. And that Nikki and Sharon cat fight-I was either done with the show by then or blocked it out. Bad acting by both and not choreographed at all. Played like comedy despite the stakes of their history and the nastiness of Sharon/Victor together. 

• Members

I think they used to do lots of man-woman friendships here - see Sharon and Tony for example. I liked it. 

Here’s next episode - courtesy of the amazing @BoldRestless

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I really liked that aspect too.

Also, mid to late 80s Jill seemed to be written as a kind of 'man's woman', a woman who generally got along and worked better with men.  Jill was the creator and biggest advocate of bringing a Men's line to prominence at Jabot. Jill notably hired a "right-hand man" in David Kimble and was really the first person to recognize that Bradley Carlton had the potential to be far more than the Abbott's pool guy.

• Members

I never realized it until now - you're totally right. She was not portrayed as a girl's girl - which is a characterization I'm okay with, because at least she had a personality, unlike today's standardised characters. Jill worked well with David as well as Ryan years later.

I think the last ones I enjoyed were Colleen & Lily (Leon/Sherwood) and Sharon & Dru (this one was pretty random for longtime viewers but they were great).