Y&R to air classic episodes

• Members

I'd not remembered they did that intercutting and was impressed with how gripping and dramatic it was. Like you say, Y&R hit every beat. 

TPTB have, for some inexplicable reason, decided that Victoria Newman should be bland. It's so wrong and has destroyed the character.

Alex Donnelly's Diane is so missed by me. I think they should just ignore the MAB killing off and bring AD back.

It's amazing how good the 1998 episode looks. Katherine's forgotten attic was epic. 

LOL - Esther too busy trying to grapple for more screen time.

I just love Diane vs Nikki in all their confrontations. The hateful chemistry was palpable. I always wondered if it transferred offscreen, as we never really got a straight answer as to why Diane was recast.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Ok, rewatching that fight scene with Diane and Nikki in the booth at Gina’s, did Alex not only throw water but the whole cup at MTS’s face at 2:24 in the clip? Speaking of hateful chemistry transferring off screen...

I love the smug way AD says, He’s not interested. It’s all very sad and pathetic when you think about who (and what) they’re fighting over...

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

So I've just rewatched the clip at 0.25 speed...what Alex does is she holds the glass with her right hand and dumps the water on MTS and her right hand brings the glass down immediately, but her left arm and hand shoots up in the air, so it really looks like she's thrown the glass out of her left hand, but what the left arm is really doing is getting ready to flip the table. 

Whoever directed that really knew what they were doing because it still holds up.

Edited by DaytimeFan

• Members

What I loved about today’s episode was that John was the character asking the questions about how wrong Victor staying away was.  It’s so perfectly in character.  Not just his concern for Jack and his company being taken away again.  John would never let his kids think he was dead, or return in such a shocking and hurtful way.

Someone needed to speak to the bad part of Victor’s behavior that had credibility.  They never do stuff like this now.  Same with Lauren being worried that Brad would just go back to Newman.  Yes they all had jobs, but the career stuff was mostly about relationships.

Jack walking past Victor on the floor is one of the all time great and most heinous things he ever did.  PB’s Jack lacks the charm Terry had, so to me he always comes across as a spoiled slime ball.

I never like Blade.  Seeing him again was a reminder that almost the entire time I watched Y&R back then, there was always one character (besides Cricket) that was a waste of space.  Speaking of Cricket- I hated her during this time.  I think I disliked her more around this time than I did when she was on nearly every day as a teen.

• Members

This! It was a masterstroke getting, firstly, Alex Donnelly back as Diane in 1996/7, and then Eileen Davidson back as Ashley a couple of years later. The enmity between these two characters stretches all the way back to the early 80s when Ashley caught Jack and Diane together in bed on the day of Jack’s wedding to Patty, and having the original actresses in those roles cross paths again in the spermgate storyline was just too delicious (no pun intended).

Notwithstanding the whole ickyness of that storyline in the first place, it did create (literally) a new generation of legacy characters in Abby and Kyle. Have they ever played up the potential conflict between these two that would arise as a result of how they were conceived?

Are there any clips of AD’s Diane and ED’s Ashley together floating around on YT anywhere? It would be fascinating to watch from a historical perspective.

• Members

I agree! As icky as the premise of the storyline was, it helped reignite a feud. In my mind I rationalized it thinking that those women were just looking for an excuse to fight because they hated each other so much. The excuse just happened to be Victor's jizz! lol

Knowing Bell's style, I'm 100% that Alden (under Bell's supervision) was going to go for a major custody battle between Victor and Brad over Abby. Imagine the legal details they would have been able to splash around, given how Abby was conceived. The writers used to love those back then. Obviously the new writing team (headed by Jack Smith) was not interested, or talented enough, to go there.

As for the potential conflict of having a half-Abbott and half-Newman in Abby and a half-Abbott, half-Jenkins in Kyle, the possibilities were endless! They hinted at some conflict with Abby during Sussman and Alden's 2017 tenure (because of course they knew what they were doing) but as we know, they were not given time to develop anything.

There was the infamous lab fight floating around a few months ago. Can't find the clips any longer. So frustrating! Maybe they were included in some hidden playlist?

I'm appalled at the thought that MTS and ES might be the cause behind AD's departure. I just can't with those two. In a way they're extremely talented and irreplaceable. But they must have been quite a duo to deal with over the years. I saw the scene between Nikki and CarlyDiane. MTS was lifeless and bored to death. Can't blame her.

• Members

The 1981 episode was done very neatly touching on some storylines that you might have read about but just didn't see the actual players involved in my opinion.

That episode clearly was the last week for Vanessa cause not much long after that episode vanessa jumped.

The barbara/april/Paul/and her parents story it showed dorothy(April's mom) questioning april about visiting barbara, also barbara had her bandages removed and had a deep conversation with her step dad i think.

And can't forget nikki visiting the ranch for the first time and victor acting like a butler for a test, it was a good episode and the music just helped it tremendously.

• Members

That deep, almost growling sound they used in the 1993 & 1998 episodes (Jack/Victor, Brad/Lauren, Katherine/Jill) is so effective, as well as the overall dark ominous tones of the background music in these scenes. Music plays an important part in creating the mood, and Y&R did it beautifully back in the day. 

• Members

Thank you.  From what I saw, the 1981 episode is the the 2nd highest rated repeat thus far, in terms of the week-long repeats.  They should take that as a clue to dig deeper into the archives, rather than just sit on them forever.  Late 1970's through early '80s were some of my favorites.

Edited by trainman