Y&R to air classic episodes

• Members

She was just so coiled and dripping with venom and bitterness. I found her such a strong presence. And she was very elegant in her own way. Susan Walters was never fully credible as this lonely, aggrieved woman. She was too by-the-book beautiful and dainty, even though she gave it her all.

Edited by Faulkner

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

AD put her stamp on a role that she had been playing for decades and no one else could play Diane Jenkins. It was insulting that they would even recast.

Fun fact: I've just found out that AD was born in Frankfurt, Germany as Alexandra Antonia Mayo.

Edited by Aback

• Members

Fascinating read, thanks! Maybe you can help me, I've always wondered if anyone knows where to find the version of Nadia's theme here at 12:02.  This one has so much yearning and longing in it and I really want a clear instrumental without talking.

• Members

AD’s Diane would have been a formidable sparring partner with Stafford for years if they had not recast and then sidelined (and ultimately killed off).

It seemed to me for a long time when I watched as a kid that Victor really did still love Nikki and was torn and always pulled towards her.  The recent classic with Nikki being drunk and stripping a great example.  He looked in pain for and about her.

But when he married her on her deathbed...he seemed torn again to me. At first he didn’t want to hurt Diane.  But I remember thinking he wasn’t really that into this marriage.  Watching the episode with the attic fight brought that all back.

I think post Hope, Victor was different with his feelings for Nikki.  All these episodes show it.

I had to lol when MTS spent her whole intro for this episode talking about herself and nothing about the actual main event in this show.

Edited by titan1978

• Members

As this drags on , showing random episodes is probably not the way to retain/attract viewers.

surely they could edit together themed scenes over a week with some talkovers by actors

eg Nick Sharon - their story from the beginning

Victor/Nikki, Paul/Christine etc

Maybe get Janice Lynde and Jaime Lyn Bauer to present Lorie/Leslie story

I think viewers would be more invested. Heavily promote as a daytime event,which it would be as some of this stuff has never been scene since first showing.

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

If only the execs at these networks cared as much about soaps as we do. I don't think they really care much for promoting daytime soaps either, unfortunately. They're hoping to keep viewers entertained with repeats with minimal effort. Repeats of any genre do not produce better numbers than new episodes (well only in rare occasion). Their hope is that viewers will return after a long break like they do primetime shows, unfortunately soap operas are a unique format that rely on viewer connection to characters and a daily habit of tuning in. Since what is happening is new to soaps, I'm sure no one is sure what to expect when these shows return later this year or whenever it happens. All I know is that it will require some major effort on the writers to create something big and appealing to lure viewers back in and the networks to promote the return of these shows. I guess only time will tell. 

• Members

No, I've never heard that version.  It may have been specially made for a certain episode(s), or an episode(s) with extended end credits if they had extra time to kill.  Hard to say.  That version is not in the released "Bless the Beasts and Children" movie soundtrack, but maybe still in the movie?  I wouldn't know.

Edited by trainman

• Members

You’re complaining about these episodes? Huh? I think they’re incredible. 

BTW, I just watched a couple episodes from 1973 — and trust me, no one wants to see Y&R from the beginning. It was not the show it came to be.