Y&R to air classic episodes

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Does no one else remember Dennis Haysbert as the Senator who becomes President on 24??????

What is all this Allstate business, haha

ETA: I have seen the Allstate commercials, just to be clear. I just figured he had a much more prominent role in 24

Edited by will81

• Members

You may be right. I noticed he had a prettt sizable list of credits and I know I have seen him elsewhere before, but I never watched 24 or much of anything on FOX so wasn't really aware he was on that show. 

• Members

Going back to the 1981 episode a minute (Vanessa, Barbara, April, etc.), the thing that made it work for me was the music, as this was back before they started replacing the classic music cues, which started in earnest in early 1982 (and it's all been downhill from there).  While the creepy / Gothic cues used for Vanessa weren't originally from Y&R (borrowed from CBS TV series "Ghost Story" a.k.a. "Circle of Fear"), I still consider them to be classic Y&R cues, as they worked so well, and they worked their way through almost the entire library of those evil cues for Vanessa in that single episode.

Incidentally, I wrote a review on Amazon one time where I presented my research on where most of the "classic" music cues originated from.  You can read that here...  https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/RFOVS391L6X4L/ref=cm_cr_getr_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00000663I

Another thing I liked about this early episode was that it focused on some of the more "real life" down-on-their-luck characters (Barbara, April, their folks), who a lot of regular working class viewers could relate to, something the show doesn't really do much of anymore.  All of the rest of the week's "Vic & Nik" episodes I didn't care for, because those were from the days after Y&R had drastically changed.

Old episodes I would like to see again...

The one where Victor is walking lost through the Kansas countryside, stops at a little bridge over a creek to reflect upon life, then eventually finds his way down a dirt road to Hope's farm.

Paul & Carl following Cassandra and lover to some island resort.

Paul, Andy & Carl taking down Pete Walker & mob at a farmhouse, and maybe some of what led up to that.

Jack (Terry Lester) and Carl trying to set up Patti after she shot Jack.

...and then especially episodes prior to 1982...

Victor holding Michael Scott in the basement bomb shelter.

Derek Thurston's pistol duel with Douglas.

Katherine in a veil, revealing to Brock that she's still alive after fire at the mansion.

Nikki vs. creepy neighbor Edward.

...among others.  I wasn't watching much sooner than that, but am sure I missed a lot of great stuff.

• Members

Even the look of the episode in 2002 is better than today. After all these years, I still miss Heather Tom as Victoria Newman. Ashley pissed me off here, she treated Brad like garbage in comparison to Victor.

Joshua Morrow was a stud then and now he's a DILF haha. Seeing Olivia, Brad, Lynne, and Cassie so awesome. Ugh, why did Y&R mess up such a good thing.

Edited by StepBack

• Members

I love your take on the 81 episode, i honestly wish we had more from that time on here. They dealt with real life stories the best in those days and your right the music cues helped a lot because it really draws you in to there emotion state.

I always heard about the paul april Barbara story but the way people talked about it, it's like it was boring or one of the worst stories bell had put together, from the little i have seen i wouldn't say it's the worst at all. I wouldn't say one of his best work but the story would have me drawn way more then these 2020 stories currently.

• Members

This is Keith Dennison with Jill in this 98 episode right? Who cast him? I'm sorry but this guy doesn't seem to fit Y&R's...aesthetic. Especially with Jess Walton look like a billion dollars.

Joshua Morrow is a handsome neanderthal but my goodness he is one dry actor.

Sandra Nelson does read older than Michelle Stafford. Phyllis and Michael were an actual couple? I know they had sex but they were in a relationship too?

Why did Katherine offer for Jill to live with her? Did she have an ulterior motive or was she just expecting Jill to say no?

Unpopular opinion but Heather Tom is the only truly great actor in the Newman family. EB is lazy and shouty, MTS is wonderful but she's a little too "on" for me, all breathy and whispery. And of course Amelia Heinle is one of the worst actors on daytime.

Has Y&R had a daytime star successfully join from another show other than Peter Bergman? 

Edited by Darn

• Members

I saw that other actor who replaced the original Keith Dennison in an episode yesterday I watched on another site . And he came off as his Keith was in organized crime in my opinion. I wonder if TPTB actually cast someone who was right for the role of a widower businessman that could generate chemistry with Jess Walton. Maybe the Dennison's would've had more staying power? 

Perhaps someone like Randy Mantooth? Dennis Parlato? or Roscoe Born might've made the Dennison family more of a mainstay?

• Members

Your review was amazing!!! I’m so glad to see you on here!

Please register in order to view this content

I wouldn’t have ever guessed the older suspense cues from the 70s were even from another show until a read your post on amazon!! I still mostly associate that music for Y&R even if it didn’t originate on there lol!

some of those episodes you mentioned are on these playlists.   the December 1989 dates have most of the Paul/Carl/Adrian/Cassandra Bermuda stuff and the June 1, 1993 episode has victor walking around in Kansas and meeting Hope for the first time!

• Members

Yes it is and he was dreadful. Keith was temporarily recast when Van Dusen was blissfully unavailable with someone much more fitting, aesthetic wise, but sadly the show went back to Van Dusen. I can never understand why they thought the Cryptkeeper was appropriate for Jill. Thankfully someone realized this and they ended the relationship.

Katherine went to Keith and told him Jill probably doesn't love him enough to marry him. Keith pressed Jill for an answer, she said no, and was asked to move out. Katherine, in a moment of guilt for ruining the relationship and leaving Jill homeless, suggested Jill move in temporarily and Jill said yes so she could get back at Katherine.

• Members

So it was exactly as presented? I'm shocked, I thought for sure Katherine was up to something.

Thanks for the info on Keith Dennison, what an odd choice they made.

I quite enjoyed Victor doing Nikki's makeup, you can always tell when Braeden likes a scene, he's got a great smile.