Y&R to air classic episodes

• Members

The early years were known and applauded for their lush, rich production values (sets, music, lighting, etc.), and while some of the cast was "green" at the beginning, most of them had remarkable on-screen charisma and were quite talented (Janice Lynde, Trish Stewart, Julianna McCarthey among others). I'd say that it was only in the late 1970s that the show started to flounder somewhat.

Where any sort of art is concerned, it's not possible to please and appeal to every viewer. What bores one person mesmerizes another.

When Charita Bauer was playing out Bert's amputation story on The Guiding Light, someone said to me that it was a mistake to giver her a major story because, "Nobody in the audience wants to see that! We want to watch young, sexy people having romances and adventure!" Bert's story was the last plot I enjoyed on that show for YEARS. To each his own. 

Edited by vetsoapfan

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

They could so easily air some of the 70's episodes in full, which is roughly 22min and use the remaining air time to interview some of the people from that time period, and actually celebrate Y&R's early years. Which also helps younger viewers understand what was going on and who the characters are

Edited by will81

• Members

I think that’s the key part of the classic episodes that is missing: context. The intros don’t really provide enough of it. I’d hate to see these beautiful episodes marred by the VH1 Pop-Up Video treatment, but even things like highlighting Dennis Haysbert’s appearance would be nice. Bravo does a decent job with their annotated Housewives episodes; their pop-ups are pretty unobtrusive.

But... the timing was a bitch. I’m sure they scrambled to even get these on the air. History and getting talent to do interviews, even on Zoom and everyone’s schedules freed up, takes time. Maybe they can coordinate some of that for future episodes, especially if this becomes more protracted.

• Members

What if they put all of the background info for each episode online and blast it on social media? In the afternoon, they could post on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc. sort of a "fact file" with everything you need to know to jump into the following day's repeat. A simple graphic that lets you know who the characters will be and what their stories were at the time. After the episode airs, they could post a "here's what happened next" type of thing.

• Members

I wonder how much of Y&R from the '70s was actually saved by CBS?  All of it?  Some of it?  I've never heard one way or the other, but have heard that certain other soaps, especially from the early days, have been lost forever.

• Members

Totally. That would be next best thing, and there would be a 360 experience online to increase their social media followers. Or in lieu of pop ups, they could promote more live tweets for viewers to follow along with the writers or actors who could share more info about the stories and who’s who (although that’s a bit trickier with varying timeslots in the different markets, but that never stopped primetime live tweets, where the West Coast often gets screwed over).

One of the complaints I see from the smaaaall minority of naysayers is that they’ve seen these episodes before and have no need to see again. Having some extras and maybe some BTS secrets revealed would also freshen them up. 

• Members

I think those people just have to suck it up lol At this point, it’s reruns or nothing at all. They’ve graciously seen the light and pulled out episodes from over a 30-year span instead of just encores from the last year. Those people should be thankful that we’re getting episodes that they’ve already seen 20+ years ago instead of just two months ago.

God, I remember being terrified at the sound of Victor’s angry voice back when EB really cared enough to actually participate in scenes. 

GH is still there up until 1970, I believe. Once ABC completely took over production, they wiped until 1977-1978.

P&G and ABC need their asses whooped for what they did.

• Members

I agree. I’m not saying those people need to be catered to. It would just be an additional benefit to having the episodes updated with extras (interviews, informative pop-ups that aren’t intrusive, etc.), which would just be helpful for newer viewers or those of us with shorter memories.

• Members

1999: I forgot that Jill and Malcolm were friends and that Jill at one point probably had the hots for Malcolm, wanting him to be the model for one of her campaigns on the men’s line. I hated Jabot dropped their whole men’s line later on. 

Jill getting down Malcolm’s pants would have been hotter than whatever she and Ryan had

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

If they're going to show earlier 30-min episodes, which they probably won't. They could consider showing two consecutive episodes to fill the hour timeslot. Of course these would have to be edited for time, but so are the hour episodes that don't fit into the current run time. I like the idea others have mentioned of having better introductions to the episodes and even including some pop up tidbits to make following the story easier or just some interesting facts.

Edited by GLATWT88