Coronavirus/Covid-19 Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The angry defiance of these gentleman is indicative of how Americans have become politicized about vaccination, when the truth it is he least political issue there could be: it is a public health and safety crisis.

Trump's devotees are the strangest to me. Trump and Melania got the vaccine themselves before they left the White House. 

• Members

There's currently an outbreak on Cape Cod -- about 430 COVID cases linked to Provincetown (where we're headed in just a few weeks). Despite the fact that the town board called an emergency meeting to address the outbreak and the fact that over 150 P-Town residents have tested positive in recent days, we're seeing some residents on social media actually denying the cluster. Rather they're spouting theories that it's a conspiracy by the MAGA crowd and/or anti-gay people to hurt the town and the LGBTQ community. It blew my mind to read those posts today.

• Members

They make some good points. One difference is the amount of disinformation being thrown at people about vaccines though. We have a bunch of actual leaders and public figures encouraging the antivaxx movement. You don't see anything like that with DUI and spreading HIV.  Half our population is actively working against the common good and a lot of them seem to be entirely clueless dupes. The real kicker is how they call the rest of us sheep for getting vaccinated!

I try so hard not to think about it this way, but honestly, yes.

• Members

It depends on what part of the world you're talking about. There continues to be disinformation campaigns that are still actively trying to convince men that they cannot get or spread HIV if they sleep with a virgin.

Please register in order to view this content

Because a person like Magic Johnson has been living with HIV for this amount of time, there are those who try to negate, or at least diminish just how deadly the virus can be. And there continues to be urban legends about how people can cure themselves with herbs, etc. One particular former South African president was known for doing this.

DUI, I think is different, but the way it is prosecuted has led some to believe that being charged with DUI isn't as big a deal as say, gun crimes. Over the weekend, there were at least four DUI-related car crashes, three of them fatal. Two involved a driver who ploughed into a mother and child. In one case, the mother and child were badly hurt but are expected to survive, in the other, the mother and daughter were killed. People still make jokes about celebrities that get arrested for DUI because somehow the message has been spread that it's not as heinous as gun crime. I just wonder where that idea came to be.