Coronavirus/Covid-19 Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Yea I would say we are pretty fucked. When the end of October gets here we are going to see a lot more cases if we don't wear masks and get more of the population vaccinated.

I keep hearing people talking about the virus being over and employees recalled to work. Its like these companies are in some strange denial

• Members

I lay this largely at the feet of those who continue to choose to be unvaccinated, but can/should get it. They are endangering everyone, including those of us who are vaccinated. I think it's unacceptable the large amount of people we have there who still refuse to be vaccinated. We could have gotten this under control a lot more if more of them would just get vaccinated. They are a main reason why we continue to have all of these variants. They need to wisen up before their choices cause more damage.

Also, I continue to see that the majority of people that are currently in hospitals/dying from COVID right now are unvaccinated. There have been at least a few people that are vaccinated that have been in the hospital but it's overwhelmingly unvaccinated people in there. I read a few days back that 100% of people who died in Maryland of COVID recently were unvaccinated. 

I am concerned on what will happen in the Fall. Not too many people at my workplace are wearing masks. Neither are the vast majority of military personnel we deal with on a daily basis. It's no longer mandated that they do so. Pretty much everyone did it for like a year (I work for the federal government and they really enforced mask wearing), but now they have eased up on that. Most of us that are wearing masks at work (like myself) are vaccinated. Whereas a lot of the people who refused to take the vaccine are not wearing masks. I wonder how things will shake out. I will continue to try my best to be careful.

This is unfortunate, and people need to make the right choices when it comes to protecting their health and the health of others. I saw another story the other day about a couple who were dragging their feet on getting the vaccine and they both ended up in the hospital with Covid. The husband said he was angry about that, though they had the option to get the vaccine.

Edited by xtr

• Members

https://www.barnstablecountyhealth.org/covid-19-important-news-and-updates

Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Statement on recent COVID-19 cases in Provincetown
Town of Provincetown
Outer Cape Health Services
Barnstable County Department of Health and Environment
Honorable Sarah Peake, State Representative
Honorable Julian Cyr, State Senator

PROVINCETOWN, MA – Officials with the Town of Provincetown, Outer Cape Health Services, Barnstable County Department of Health and Environment, state Representative Sarah Peake, and state Senator Julian Cyr are actively monitoring recent cases of COVID-19 confirmed in Provincetown, in consultation with the Massachusetts Department of Public Health. The positive cases were identified in individuals presenting with mild respiratory symptoms and were tested for COVID-19.

Overwhelmingly, the affected individuals have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19. The moderate intensity of symptoms indicates that the vaccines are working as predicted. Provincetown has among the highest vaccination rates in the Commonwealth, with 114% of the eligible population age 12 and older in Provincetown having been fully vaccinated. Health officials expect to continue to see a low level of positive cases through the summer in a community such as Provincetown with a seasonal population of approximately 60,000. As we enter a new phase of living with the virus, vaccination remains our strongest defense in preventing serious illness, hospitalization, and death from COVID-19.

In response, town, county, and state officials are working to expand access to testing in Provincetown immediately. By appointment COVID-19 testing has been available at Outer Cape Health Services’ location in Provincetown continuously. Understanding that any report of new cases will prompt an increase demand for testing, additional testing resources from the Commonwealth will be available in Provincetown later this week.

(The press release continues with details about specific times/places that testing will be available)

-----------------

(the original says 114% and I don't know why).

The important point is:
"The moderate intensity of symptoms indicates that the vaccines are working as predicted."

--------------------

The COVID-19 vaccines are intended to prevent deaths, hospitalizations, and severe symptoms.    They were never announced/promoted as being able to prevent mild-to-moderate symptoms.

The same is true for influenza vaccines.

Edited by janea4old