Coronavirus/Covid-19 Discussion Thread

• Members

This Op-ed in the NYT does speak to a point I made since last year about the problem with indoor spaces being a dangerous conductor for transmission of COVID-19. Last year I told everyone in my family and friends to make sure they frequently open windows and I even posted here my concerns regarding lack of proper ventilation in schools and other public spaces.

Of course hygiene is important (I refuse to believe anyone who claims that it is not) but last year's outbreak at a DMV in my region proves that spacing, even masked spacing is no guarantee as long as you are indoors with so many people.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/07/opinion/coronavirus-airborne-transmission.html?campaign_id=2&emc=edit_th_20210508&instance_id=30479&nl=todaysheadlines&regi_id=15118680&segment_id=57584&user_id=5082fbe815e6ec912cf191e049f334da

"Mary-Louise McLaws, an epidemiologist at the University of New South Wales in Sydney, Australia, and a member of the W.H.O. committees that craft infection prevention and control guidance, wanted all this examined but knew the stakes made it harder to overcome the resistance. She told The Times last year, "If we started revisiting airflow, we would have to be prepared to change a lot of what we do." She said it was a very good idea, but she added, "It will cause an enormous shudder through the infection control society."

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

@OzFrog Yay for you being in the right group!!!

@DramatistDreamer congrats on Shot 1!!! I also agree. Even though I am now fully vaccinated, I intend to keep mask wearing. Too many idiots here in San Diego (which funnily enough will be staying in the Orange tier while other regions of California have gone yellow and reopened more...hmmmm I wonder why? NOT...until June 15) running around without masks now like Co-Vid is gone is too maddening to me. 

• Members

Hit my 2-week mark today so I'm considered fully vaxxed now. I'm in Queens, NY, where it's pretty crowded, and pretty much all the stores, banks, offices, etc. that I've gone to have mask requirements. I have no problem with it and will wear where needed/required, plus I have an elderly mom who's halfway vaxxed, so we've been all the more careful. Now with the mask restriction lifting a great deal, I can imagine things getting tricky in some of these places, at least at first. Last month, in the supermarket, the woman ahead of me got a bit nasty with the cashier because the girl told me to come up while the woman was still bagging, telling the cashier she had diabetes and the cashier could have waited. We were all masked. Trying to wade through these local places now, with who'll take down their mask signs vs. not, who'll have masks on vs. not, who'll be scared or feel vulnerable, etc., will be tricky, I think. Plus, the governor and mayor are reviewing the CDC recommendation and may tell us in NYC not so fast...

Edited by applcin