Coronavirus/Covid-19 Discussion Thread

• Members

Herd immunity was always a dubious target, I always believed this, especially as much of the U.S. never fully committed to the type of lockdown strategy that New Zealand, Taiwan, Australia, or even Vietnam had committed to.

I also think it is preposterous to believe that the U.S. can be protected from Covid-19 when surrounded by a region still in thrall to the virus.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Measles would not have made such a big comeback over the last decade and a half, if not for the anti-vaxx crusaders, imo, so sadly, it appears that a significant number of people will not get vaccinated, no matter what- the article cites those who will use the lack of herd immunity as an excuse to chuck it all and claim the vaccines are ineffective.

I wish that the message if herd immunity had never entered the public consciousness in the first place. Health officials should have kept it relatively simple and emphasized the benefit of not getting violently ill, being hospitalized or dying as benefits of full vaccination as the most important aspect.

The U.S. is not New Zealand, herd immunity was always going to be an illusion.

The whole argument of anti-vaxxers and conspiracy theorists is that "you can't trust the government". Why give them more aspects in which to cling to their conspiracy theories? 

Edited by DramatistDreamer
I wish this auto-correct would understand context properly

• Members

When I first heard that Johnson & Johnson was getting into the business of making vaccines, I was wary. Very wary.

Disclosure: a few years ago, I was asked to participate in this opinion survey/focus group, ostensibly given by some PR organization.

There was a list of companies and supposedly, I had been chosen "at random"

Please register in order to view this content

to give feedback on J&J. One of my comments was that I did not trust the company mainly because of their talc scandal and the fact that they had done so much to cover the dangerous effects of their product.

About a year later, I read that Johnson and Johnson is working on a vaccine. I had hoped they wouldn't get  government approval, but unfortunately they did. And here we are. 

• Members

So what do you guys think of what could soon be a reality - kids 15 and under getting the vaccine? My sister and her husband are both vaccinated (he, fully - she gets her second shot tomorrow) but have reservations about getting their kids vaccinated. That may be because my sister and brother-in-law both had nasty side effects. Do you think it's a good idea to give young kids this vaccine?

• Members

I’m meant to find out today whether through my participation in the J&J trial I got the real thing or the placebo. I had two shots, and only had side-effects after the first one (48 hours, chills, muscle aches, the usual flu-like response). But that went away pretty quickly, so I’m assuming I’m in the vaccine group.

• Members

Thank you for your service

Please register in order to view this content

. Your participation helps all of us because your feedback is truly the public's first line of defense.

I hope that all of these vaccine manufacturers live up to the trust that you, as well as the public (myself included) are placing in all of them. You are participating in good faith and you definitely have my appreciation.

Also, guys...I got my first dose.

• Members

I can officially confirm that I was in the vaccine group

Basically it mean I have already had two shots of the J&J vaccine and am thus considered already fully vaccinated. Also, I learned a couple of things...

The J&J trial I’ve been involved with in the UK was previously testing on placebo v 2 doses (as opposed to 1 dose that the US were doing). As a result of recent data coming through, the UK trial has now changed to an open trial of 1 dose vs 2 doses - anyone who was previously in the placebo group would be offered one single dose or can opt out of the study and take one of the NHS-approved vaccines, and those who had already received two doses of the vaccine (of which I’m one) are considered fully vaccinated and do not require anything further.

So essentially, I’ve done my duty

@DramatistDreamercongrats on dose #1! Let us know how the aftermath goes!

Edited by OzFrog

• Members

At first I was supposed to get Moderna, because that was all that was listed, but when I checked the day before, I saw both Moderna and Pfizer listed (yay VAMS ). The pharmacy asked me if I had a preference and I said no, then they asked if Pfizer was alright and I said yeah. 

Now though, I have noticed that the date I originally scheduled before the first dose is 28 days-- the window for Moderna. I am trying to see if I can push up the 2nd dose for the 21 day window associated with the Pfizer vaccine timeline.

Only me!

• Members

I had always intended to get vaccinated but I wanted to be around the fewest people possible, so waiting a little for supply to exceed demand sounded like a good option, considering the fact that I have the benefit of having almost no interaction with other people. 

I still intend to wear a mask, maybe not the double mask I wore today.