Coronavirus/Covid-19 Discussion Thread

• Members

The same here with nursing home visits. My mom was finally able to see her sister with mask on and all visits are done either outdoor patio or cafeteria. No room visits.

As for Michigan ...what can you expect? Trumpsters rule....and the younger adults are getting infected because they think they can't.

Did you take your second vaccine? You're not fully vaccinated until 2 weeks after you 2 vaccine which is today for me.

Please register in order to view this content

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I've been asked to book a vaccine appointment! I'm pro-vaccines and ready to do so. However, I am getting increasingly nervous about the news reports regarding blood clots + Astra Zeneca. I am in the UK and will probably be offered the AZ jab as they are saving the Moderna ones for the Under-30s. I'm actually not sure what to do as I'm starting to feel stressed about it. I'm not sure I can request my choice of jab, (i.e. Pfizer, which looks fairly effective against some of the variants).

• Members

My parents got the Pfizer and have been fine. They've been out and about with mask with no problems. I was vaccinated with the Moderna (not my choice). I've been doing well going out sparingly with mask with no problems. 

My aunt and uncle took the Johnson & Johnson with no problems.

If you feel uneasy wait for the Moderna or Pfizer to be available. 

Here in Texas the Moderna is more available one. They've stopped giving the Johnson & Johnson.

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

My parents got the Pfizer too and have been fine. I'm no scientist in the least but judging by news of some recent trials against a couple variants, Pfizer seems to be the current gold standard and Moderna is also very good.

The UK system is very much 'book the appointment, go to the vaccine location, and you get what they give you on the day.' Astra Zeneca has been officially associated with some blood clots but, unlike J&J, the UK is unwilling to pause its rollout.

• Members

The cases of clots have been 6. But the Johnson & Johnson was still halted. One unfortunate death and a stroke victim. 

The shopping mall here was giving the vaccine. It was get vaccinated as you shop.

Please register in order to view this content

They were giving you a choice of the moderna or the J&J.

• Members

Because they are smart. There have been six cases of blood clots with J&J. Meanwhile half a million people are dead of covid in the U.S. Plus the more cases the more mutations. It seems pretty clear to me the disease is more risky than the vaccine by a lot. I do wish everyone could just get Pfizer or Moderna though in case they really are better with the variants.

Meanwhile, we should be helping Brazil and Mexico as soon as possible before a vaccine resistant mutation comes along. I hate to even think about it.

• Members

Problem with Brazil is that the president seems unconcerned with Covid whatsoever.. so even if we helped Brazil.. it could be to no avail.

From what I've read, it sounds like Pfizer might not be strong enough to protect fully from the South African strain.. though it appears the majority that have been fully vaccinated have gotten milder symptoms to almost no symptoms.

I did read that Moderna's booster shot research with mice has been promising, while continuing booster shot trials with people.... and tentatively might have a booster shot for Moderna by fall for the variants.

• Members

Wow...your mall gave a choice?

Yeah, if given a choice...I would have went with Pfizer. But...they gave me Moderna. Not looking forward to Shot 2...more because my jobs are being surprisingly not accommodating considering they wanted me to do it in the first place. I know both have trainees right now, but after a year of this and no vacation time in sight (okay for my bday this year yes...now if it is somewhere or a staycation we will see), my claws have come out because simply put, like we leaving my job of 8 years to do what's best for me...I feel that it's time for me to think of my next steps, planning my next steps, and nothing like a pandemic to make you remember why you left your job of 8 years in the first place...basically to live your life and follow your dreams, NOT be entrapped into things that do not make you happy. My apologies for that tangent. 

Ewwww...I hope you are able to find Pfizer like your parents though. Good energy sent your way. 

@Juliajms Oooooh, don't get me started on Mexico. At some point, I will have to go down there to Mexico City within the next two years (at least my head says that; my heart on the other hand...) and the things I've heard have me greatly worried. 

• Members

@Soapsuds @Juliajms @Taoboi @Soaplovers Thanks for your input. I wasn't sure who to discuss any concerns I had, but this thread covers a lot of news stories (not conspiracy theories) regarding the Covid situation, so I knew I would get balanced responses.

Seems like there is some 'meh' reactions here to Moderna -- how come?

Looks like we will be doing another mass vaccination campaign in the winter, huh.

@Juliajms You put it into context when contrasting the number of blood clots with those dying of Covid, and I appreciate that. A friend of mine reiterated the same thing -- she got her first dose this week.

I cover LatAm markets and the Brazil/Mexico situation is nuts even by our poor US/UK/Europe standards. There were, as of last week, around 85,000 new Brazilian mutations and counting, that's how fast this thing is spreading and adapting to people's immune responses. Bolsonaro is a nut-job who just does not care for his citizens' wellbeing. He views the poorest as lesser than and (I presume) expendable, and often seems ready to spearhead a military coup in order to shut down growing anger against him. Meanwhile, underfunded hospitals cannot cope. The richest Brazilians get private healthcare or fly out of the country to get it in the US.

Mexico's AMLO, meanwhile, is a penny-pincher loathe to give public bureaucracy any money to fight the disease. Last year he waved his Virgin Mary amulets at a crowd and said 'This is all I need to protect me from Covid.' In Catholic/religious countries like Mexico (and Brazil), this kind of attitude is dangerous. 

Mexico and Brazil's most pressing concern, besides poorer populations with comorbidities, a collapsing health sector and the threat of contagion across the globe (again), is their ability to secure vaccines. Mexico is currently hoping for Sputnik to come through for them. Their vaccine rollout has been painfully slow. Brazil, too, dithered on buying enough vaccines. There is also a feeling that the developed markets have hogged most of the good vaccines and that LatAm countries are at the back of the line.

• Members

@Cat  probably because Pfizer is considered the top standard vaccine not only there but here. In actuality Moderna has a higher protection rate than Pfizer and both keep you protected after six months. It might be the awful name that makes people go meh too..lol.  Moderna is already working on a booster shot for fall/winter.

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

@Cat I agree. When this started and during the run up to the election I came here to the board because I find only facts and balanced opinions for which I have been thankful for in these crazy times as well.

For me, it was the fact that it was said that He Who Shall Not Be Named was wanting everyone to get Moderna due to his stock in the company allegedly that turned me off from wanting it. All about his ego that 'man' when Pfizer was ready to go long before Moderna.