Days of our Lives- Entire cast fired!?

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Yeah we know what taken off Contract means, Camila

I get the actors were most likely blindsided as I am sure the news of the actors being taken off contract was not supposed to be made public in the press but stop  spinning 

Fans are not dumb we know what it means to be taken off contract and no matter what they say now about possibility of renewal and saving coin, Corday doing this looks really bad and he cant be that dense not to see that

• Webmaster

No. I’m saying let’s be real. This situation isn’t sunshine and roses. All the people talking about everything being honky dory is doing a disservice to themselves, the fans and what is really going on here. This isn’t a “break.”  If DAYS is renewed, whether at its current budget or lower, the actors have to decide if they are willing to return to a show that is one step away from filming in a park across the street from its once iconic studio or if they are willing to jump at a potential job opportunity now that they aren’t under “contract.” When a primetime show is on hiatus the show remains in first position to any jobs the actors field during said hiatus — look at Constance Wu pre-renewal of “Fresh Off the Boat” for how that turned out. This isn’t that. There is no first position when you have no contract by months end.

If the show is canceled, they wasted their breath trying to calm worried fans since the show essentially won’t have time to get back into production (if it even does) for a proper finale much less have the required actors to return for a proper sendoff since they wouldn’t be forced to return considering they won’t have any contractual obligations to the show at that point. 

Y’all are just making me cry with laughter today. My gawd. Really?

• Members

I realize Corday (Productions) is not in any financial position to keep anyone on contract while DAYS remains on "hiatus," but do you think they leaked this news in order to force NBC's hand into renewing the show?  Like you said, they won't have time to write and tape a proper finale, should the network actually cancel them; so, perhaps Corday and Sony are hoping NBC will do whatever's necessary to avoid the alternative, which is just ending the show when the last of the produced episodes air, proper finale or not.

Frankly, I don't believe "the industry" will be beating down too many of these actors' doors anytime soon.  Ergo, if we're worried about this massive cast exodus occurring if/when NBC actually renews DAYS, we shouldn't be.  I think the chances are better than good that most, if not all, of the current cast will return, even at reduced salaries.  And, in a way, that's a shame, because -- as I've said multiple threads in this thread and elsewhere -- this turn of events could be a potential opportunity to give DAYS the creative overhaul it desperately needs.

Edited by Khan

• Webmaster

I don’t know who leaked it and I don’t know if it was a ploy by whoever did to force NBC’s hand. Either way, this move was the best thing to happen to the show. Being 4-6 months ahead of air was insane. To hear directly from Ken Corday’s mouth that they were now 8 months ahead in May (after winning an Emmy for the show)...I was floored. That was just unheard of. This was the only decision they could make that could possibly keep the show afloat. A hard reset is needed and by not being obligated to anyone for anything during this four month plus “hiatus” is just a blessing financially. The decisions they’ll have to make should NBC and Sony hammer out a deal as to whether to bring back anyone or do a true hard reset will be the real conversation we should be wondering about. 

If the show gets canceled, at least it’ll be done and they won’t have to pay people for work that isn’t required. 

• Members

I wish we had streaming data because I wonder how DAYS does on NBC.com. I cut the cord two years ago and it's been great to have the option to 'skip' DAYS for weeks or months and do a massive binge catch-up. NBC keeps 4 months from current date available. I've been current since September, but I can't be the only one. Because the episodes include ads, it's not like NBC isn't making some coin. 

In fact, one of the things Sony/Corday/actors should do is tell people to 'catch-up' through streaming - though that's a double-edge sword considering how wildly uneven the show really is! But it's worth a shot. Honestly, doing just that is what got me invested again. 

It's surprising that only Dark Shadows is the only soaps that has capitalized on the huge library of content. Literally thousands of soap episodes are sitting in archives collecting dust instead of being licensed to streaming services.  

• Members

@Errol, I think we're the only two who see any positives in this situation, lol.

I'm pondering the same question(s) as you: should NBC and Sony come to some kind of terms and DAYS is renewed, how should they handle bringing back the actors (and back on contract)?  Should they try to bring back everybody -- provided, of course, actors are willing and able to return -- or should they be more selective?  Heck, should they even bring back anyone at all, and instead do the hardest reset ever?

Frankly...?  I'd rather they take the more selective approach.  Take a good, long, hard look at your cast and everything else, Corday, Sony and NBC, and really decide who and/or what is the REAL future of DAYS OF OUR LIVES.  (I can't stress it enough: get rid of the DiMeras.  End the ridiculous plots that involve brainwashing people and/or bringing them back from the dead.  They're ridiculous in the first place, and the fact that you're telling these stories with no money and third-rate "actors" makes them appear even worse.  Quit bringing back used-up characters and super-couples from the '80's and '90's who lend no value to the current show aside from anemic nostalgia.  Realize that the "days" of Hortons, Bradys and others carrying this show are long gone and start investing (as best as you can, as much as budgets will allow) in NEW characters and NEW families that MIGHT give this show a real, fighting chance at staying alive -- even if it transitions to a web-soap, or whatever -- instead of just scraping by another year with the network brass.  Take REAL, [!@#$%^&*] CHANCES instead of just playing it safe.)

To put it bluntly: bringing everyone back (on less than a shoestring budget) merely to rehash the same, crappy, dead-end, character- and couple-destroying stories from 10-15-20 years ago just isn't gonna cut it anymore.  If they're truly serious about keeping DAYS alive, then do what needs to be done to make the show so irresistible again that NBC would be foolish even to entertain the thought of giving it the proverbial axe.

Edited by Khan