Days of our Lives- Entire cast fired!?

• Members

No doubt they do well in streaming.  Isn’t Days either the highest stream on NBC.com or close to it?

Again- I would watch the [!@#$%^&*] out of these soaps if they were streaming, even ones I never watched before.  But they already have me!  I’m watching GH at times now, and it is pretty near god awful.

Please register in order to view this content

• Toups unpinned this topic
  • Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I often stream old episodes or storylines on youtube instead of watching current shows, daytime or primetime. I would also watch "old soaps" if they were online more. CBS could probably make a lot of money if they put up old ATWT and GL eps for a small fee per month. I'd even love to watch Capitol from start to finish since I was always watching AW back in the day. Networks keep claiming they need revenue...I agree with others, this could definitely be a way. 

• Members

CBS doesn't own the rights to ATWT or GL, Procter & Gamble Productions does. Actually, I remember reading that, in the waning days of ATWT, CBS attempted to buy ATWT and were rebuffed by P&G.  Had CBS actually gotten ownership of at least ATWT, soap fans would have had some access to vintage episodes in some form. P&G/PNG remains the obstacle for their holdings.

• Members

It upsets me that P&G did stream their soaps prior to high speed being a thing. There are years of ATWT and GL already ready for streaming that they could easily dump on a streaming service without having to convert. Not to mention Another World. They could simply put up what aired on SOAPnet and later Hulu and add to it. If P&G tried to cut a deal with one of the streaming services for their content I'm sure someone would take them up on it.

• Members

Didn't they recently (or a few years ago) sell Capitol (and Texas? I believe?) to some European markets for reruns? So in theory that shouldn't be that hard to convert to digital if they haven't done it already.

• Members

I've been trying to process this very thing for years!  Not to mention SoapClassics, which also had a website where they streamed episodes, also digitized even more episodes for sale of their boxed sets.

What irritates me the most are all the 'stops and starts' that P&G has engaged in for years, raising and dashing soap fans' hopes in equal measure.

• Members

Facts, Mad Men used to average around 2 milion viewers whereas Y&R usually doubles that. So many big budget cable/streaming shows pull in only about 1 million. Hollywood Reporter said that 'Power' and ' Big Little Lies' pulled in about 1.4 million viewers each....too much content is out there so it seems only big draws like Rosanne, Stranger Things, etc are getting the huge numbers.

I agree, soaps could totally survive if they were better promoted, better budgeted, and better written. Modern soaps don't have to be esoteric to long time viewers. What isnt cooler than stories that stretch back 50+ years! If Marvel fans can can enjoy newly released movies based on comics from umpteen years ago, and U.S. anime fans are now catching onto 'Fullmetal Alchemist' which came out in 2003, there's definitely a market for new viewership in soaps. 

Edited by ironlion

• Members

And even those "huge" numbers are just a fraction of what they once were. This past Tuesday, Roseanne pulled a 1.0 rating in the 18-49 demo and attracted 5.68 million total viewers. That's a much steeper drop from last season than any of the four soaps.