Days of our Lives- Entire cast fired!?

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Sorry... but TV shows don't oppress people.

That is very true. Ratings across the board are just tanking. The entire television landscape is so diluted, they have done this to themselves. I think the cutting the cord trend is the only thing that has been helping network TV from going down even further. If you remember how the Roseanne reboot premiere was ballyhooed as this HUGE triumph, when during her original run, she pulled those same numbers every week, and so did virtually any show in the Nielsen top 20. 

• Members

I totally agree.

During the 1980s, when science-fiction/fantasy storytelling started to infect and decimate the soaps, I was aghast because I gravitate towards well-written, well-acted continuing dramas about family dynamics and interpersonal relationships. Fortunately, primetime TV has stepped up to the plate, and has been producing many fine, adult dramas for serial fans to enjoy. I have series like This Is Us, New Amsterdam and A Million Little Things; I no longer have to cringe through the horrifically stupid sci-fi camp being dished out on my once-beloved daytime soaps.

• Members

For ABC at least, this is no longer true. ABC recently announced they won't be using Neilsen ratings in the way they previously did. They're looking at Live, plus 3 and up to 7 day viewing, plus streaming and will now determine ratings and success for their shows based on a 30 day period of viewership. They're finding that many of their biggest hits have okay live viewing, but the 30 day window tells a full story. I feel the same is true for soaps as well. We may be thinking they're doing horribly, but we don't know how they're doing in streaming terms. With DAYS in particular, the NBC app allows you to view several months and it is full of advertisements so if they get good viewership from that then it's another form of revenue for the show. I feel the overall ratings picture for DAYS is probably better than we think which is why NBC keeps it around. Even if it doesn't always last on the network I could see them putting a form of it on Peacock.

• Members

I think it is interesting, in light of the ratings and new ways of counting audience numbers, that the story about the cast being fired is still the most read story on TMZ and TVinsider days after the story was released.

TVinsider's soap stories always are the most read on the site.  

• Members

Now that prime time is doing serialization better than daytime, the only reason for soaps staying on the air is familiarity with the charachters and obligation. The fact that Marlena's story has been going on for 40+ years means ive invested too much time to give up watching her. 

• Members

People talk about ratings negatively only when it relates to soaps. All four soaps have better ratings and more loyal audiences than pretty much everything on the CW and pretty much every cable network. If the networks stopped treating them like it was a time filler and invested in promoting these shows (and gave them a budget) they'd benefit. Also the lack of streaming support for them with their libraries is insane, even if you just focus on what is on the air. For ABC, they own their soaps so why not throw them on Hulu or Disney Plus?

That's free money and easy to do. It'll also be curious when Peacock launches if they put soaps on their platform. DAYS has a big online following so one would imagine classic episodes would be a given there. ALso when you consider the lawsuit with Sony was about *not* streaming DAYS I could see them pushing for it. Passions and Sunset Beach are also easy soaps they could dump on there.

• Members

It’s not free money.

Even if they go the easiest route and just throw them up there (like Hulu did with Designing Women- not remastered at all, syndication opening etc), that still costs money to convert all those old shows before streaming was an option.

Plus there is the issue with classic soaps and music clearances.  And the talent.  They have to pay everyone again (actors, writers, directors etc depending on their contracts), and if they somehow don’t, their unions will make sure they get compensation in another contract negotiation.

That is all a labor of love for a product that we would buy, but how far beyond us would that go?  And how many of us would pay for it?  Just because I would be willing to watch GH from Monty’s arrival (before that lots of episodes are just lost) and pay for it (maybe even a monthly subscription up to $20,) doesn’t mean other people would or have the means.

At least shows like DAYS and Y&R have every episode saved.  ABC soaps are not so lucky.  I’m sure there are huge eras of vintage GL and ATWT that are gone too.

I wish they would stream old stuff too, but we as an audience (because of the crappy product they make now) are diminishing returns.

• Members

You're right on everything, but where there is a will, there's a way. The DAYS app doesn't exist for nothing. It will probably happen at some point.

But yeah it's not as easy as some folks think.

Though P&G soaps were streaming old episodes on AOL, what over ten years ago at this point? Where there's a will, there's a way. But I can see why it's not something they're jumping at doing.

I'd be fine if they uploaded to YouTube and called it a day (or left those who do alone)

They ARE missing out. Even stupid Corday knows the audience is there for it. It's just not as easy as some think. And I don't see the incentive for them to do it, unfortunately.

But I also agree with those who say the soaps have a more loyal and higher audience than the CW shows and other shows. A real budget would make a world of difference and letting fans see the old years, easily, would also help tremendously.

Soaps do well streaming. But some fans don't like hearing that.

Edited by KMan101