Days of our Lives- Entire cast fired!?

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Webmaster

Exactly. The time jump would have been better for this kind of result. However, they don't know if the show will continue. This "time jump" is being used to drive discussion for the show as it heads into its 55th season. Unfortunately, this news means it'll be overshadowed by the firing of the entire cast.

I understand. It might be unprecedented, but a complete reboot for a daytime soap opera might be necessary and VASTLY cheaper. This is exactly the way I expect a soap to get rebooted in the future, should that ever (eventually) happen -- completely new cast (no prior characters/connections).

• Members

Honestly, if NBC does cancel the show, it wouldn't surprise me if Corday would try to move the show online somehow (hence that Chad & Abby in Paris "spin-off"). I guess not being bogged down by cast contracts would help such a transition while trying to prepare for it as I'd expect it to take a while to get going.  I wonder how the show would end on NBC though. Just like another week?

• Members

Exactly.

First of all, let me rephrase what I said before: aside from maybe Bill and Susan Seaforth Hayes, there isn't one member of DAYS' current cast, either contract or recurring, whom I see as indispensable.  Not.  One.  And thanks to Ron Carlivati's efforts to turn Julie into a late-in-life racist, I'm not even sure anymore that I would be sorry to see SSH go!

IOW, when I said upthread that this could be a brilliant way to cut loose (some of) the dead weight...?  In my estimation, at least, the majority of DAYS' cast is just that: dead weight.  Anyone who doesn't return from this hiatus/cast firing is one less albatross around this show's neck.

But...as you've intimated, @Errol, I don't think getting rid only of SOME characters from this show will be enough in the end to save it.

I've been saying for the longest time that DAYS needs to leave the quasi-sci-fi junk with the DiMeras and the brainwashes and the people coming back the dead in the supercouple-driven '80's and early '90s where they belong.  However, returning to the realistic, emotionally relatable, Bill Bell/Pat Falken Smith-style of storytelling (albeit, updated for the 2010's and beyond) is IMPOSSIBLE on a show where the signature couple is a former mercenary-cum-jewel thief-cum-priest who's been brainwashed more times than either he or I can count and a woman who's been presumed dead at least once and was once literally possessed by the devil.  

At this point, you can't even refocus DAYS back on the Hortons, who WERE, at their core, everyday folk, but who have been decimated by decades of poor decisions on the part of indifferent writers and producers.

IMO, what's most important is restoring Ted and Betty Corday's vision for this show and making it relevant for today's audiences.  If that means literally wiping the slate of everything and everyone and starting over -- in Salem, but with stories rooted in the real and the possible, with new characters who have little or no connections to everything that has come before -- then so be it.

• Members

Even if significant cast members don't come back - when DAYS goes back into production in March, they can employ another time jump, recast,  have Stefano kidnap them, send them to Paris or simply ignore. Didn't DAYS have a character say he was going to mail a letter or go up the stairs and simply disappear? Maybe I'm mixing things up. DAYS production schedule required characters like Stefano and Caroline disappears after the respective actors passed - logistically not different.

DAYS has enough recurring/past characters (i.e., Anna, Tony, etc.) that they can bring back. Plus, I'm sure there are plenty of 'former' cast members who would jump at the chance to work again. There's no shortage of former soap actors out there.