Y&R August 2019 Discussion Thread

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Do we know Jess Walton doesn't want to work? I'm not so sure. She was happy to work as much as Sally & Pratt wanted her to.  I don't think Mal, or JG has asked her.

It's the show that's been cutting back the air-time on the long time vets. And we haven't had anyone interested in writing for a successful, powerful, corporate woman in decades.

• Members

I've always been dubious about that explanation. Veteran actors can sense when they're being pushed off the canvas and for some, it may be better to walk out the door than to be shoved. You can't convince me that if there were a very juicy compelling story somewhere for Jess Walton that she wouldn't take it.  It's more like Walton knows that it's garbage material no matter what daytime soap, what network, so why bother? 

• Members

I honestly don't know if I've ever seen this fast of a collapse of a show.  It's bad.  People keep trying to put the blame on the Rosales family - but the Adam show did it for me.  I don't want to watch something from 4 or 5 years ago with a Nu Nu Nu Adam.  I don't care how good the actor is - and I don't think he's all that great the way his fans do - but I don't want to see a new actor in an old character shoved down my throat 24/7, and when I try to watch - he's always there.  It's unreal.  

• Members

Kyle's and Theo's secret was weak. The worse that they are guilty of is not staying with the underage drunk girl at the hospital. And not contacting her parents, paying the dad off the next day. That's it. They didn't know she was underage, they didn't hurt her or set out to hurt her. They ended up getting her help And they felt bad about her sneaking into the bar and getting drunk.

This secret was boring, but then again every story created to help give Kyle and Lola story, (especially angst) is boring. And it seems the show is trying to villifyTheo. (though IMO, he honestly doesn't look that bad. At best he's seems a bit bitter regarding Kyle is trying to annoy him. But he doesn't seem like an evil guy.) It looks like his and Summer's relationship may be over and she's actually agreeing to attend Kyle & Lola's wedding. Which I don't think she should be doing considering how Kyle dismissed her feelings and Lola planned to seduce and cheated with Kyle when they were married. It doesn't make a lot of sense that Summer would be getting along with the both of them, especially since she had gotten married to Kyle a few months ago.

Also, I liked Sharon and Rey's scenes. I liked them as a couple, but I didn't like that the way was talking to her right before they broke up. He seemed a bit sanctimonious and I think he overreacted to her relationship with Adam.

• Members

Like many others, Jess begged for story for years  and finally gave up. I believe LML was the last writer to truly feature her with the Ji Min romance. It shocks me the writers never reunited Jack and Jill (well they did in '04, but dropped it) or John and Jill. Jess has made it clear she's willing to work now if they want her, but she's not gonna sit around and beg.

• Members

I swung by Y&R twitter. Are kyle and lola popular enough for all this hoopla?

There are couples that I've hated with a passion (Sharon and Nick, Victoria and Billy, Lily and Cane) but I just KNEW that they were uber popular with viewers. I could feel it from interacting with other viewers on boards. I just do not see or feel this popularity around the fandom for Kyle and Lola. The buzz just isn't there. 

• Members

You aren't missing the buzz. I've yet to come across any real stans of Kyle/Lola and the "wedding of the year" (gag me!!!) is being widely panned. Only one invested is Anjelica McDaniel. (Also I should point out Kyle has vastly fallen out of favor with his stans ... and Mealor strangely unfollowed many of his biggest, which was strange, guess he didn't like the homosexual humor)

EDIT: Wtf? I forgot why their "ship name" was blocked and then I realized ... lol. I think we can unblock that name now ... but it also kind of amuses me their ship name is treated like a dirty word (even if it was meant for the writer who shall not be named)

And it's a shame CBS is such a prudish network and soaps are unable to be any sort of progressive. Heaven forbid Kyle and Theo had a REAL secret, you know, like hooking up one night .... which nearly EVERYONE has said would have been more interesting. Lord. Griffith SUCKS hard. But so do the networks who refuse to let soaps be anything but stuck in a rut. The pearl clutchers would croak if we got anything like that. Heaven forbid ... 

Edited by KMan101