Y&R December 2018 Discussion Thread

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Y&R is probably the easiest soap to 'fix' for three reasons: 1) they have a lot of vets on canvas who can carry the show; 2) the show has never gone outrageous - even the worst storylines are pretty grounded - except for the long history of doppelgangers started by Kay/Marge; 3)  the Abbotts/Newmans - love 'em or hate 'em - they are a solid core of characters and on-screen history that can always be mined. Plus throw in Jill, Lauren, Michael, Phyllis and Neil. That's a lot for a writer to work with. 

The first three things I would do: 1) Nate and Hilary conspired to send her to a clinic and bring her back; 2) Ashley returns and 3) Dina cured/misdiagnosed and assumes the role of GC Grande Dame - it's been a huge missed opportunity considering Dina has real ties to a lot of characters - either through the Abbotts or through Katherine. Y&R lost a lot with the killing of John and JC's passing. Having that patriarch/matriarch really works for Y&R. Aunt Jack and Drunk Nikki have never been able to fill that void. 

• Members

Tommy has broken some stories, but he’s missed on others. Still, this might be true even though the article is HORRIBLY written. He must do no revision and editing — just spits it out and that’s it. Awful.

Josh G was too dark and depressing in his last run, so I can’t get excited about his return, especially if it’s as both HW and EP.

Mal has done some good things, but for every good, there have been two mistakes. Losing MMorgan and EDavidson? Unforgivable. Losing Judith Chapman? Bad. Introducing the Rosales’ to all the wealthy in town right away? Ugh.

i also think the striking and downsizing of sets has been a huge mistake. The look and feel of the show matters. We now have too many missing sets, too many cramped sets, and too many hallways. 

Archived