Y&R December 2018 Discussion Thread

• Members

And WTF has happened to the Jabbot sets? They look awful and so tiny now. 

I thought it was ridiculous. Fighting over a girl they barely know. The conversation between Finn, Kyle and Mariah was so horrible. 

WTF was that? I thought early 20's mid 20's don't talk this way. It was just an awful/terrible scenes. 

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think it's given she's gonna work at HWG. I'm sure she will be ambitious and have to fight Devon for everything there like Hilary did. There really isn't much else as far as story goes. I do like how the writers use the Rebecca character to bring story to several businesses in her short little arc. 

I'm curious to see the story for Ana and Fen other than Devon and/or Nate playing gate keeper to her vagina? 

• Members

I don't think she will struggle with him the way Hilary did. IMO, she's not a whole lot like Hilary. I do believe there is a potential storyline to build on for Ana and Fen as they both try and work and make it in their respective positions in the music industry. She could try and help him make it as an artist and they can deal with the things (including possible issues) that came along with that. I do think that a possible Kyle/Lola/Fen triangle may play out while this is happening. Maybe Ana/Fen will be friends first and/or work together professionally first before anything happens between them.

I think it may largely depend on how much time/storyline they want to give to Fen and Ana developing their careers in the music industry. 

Also, I hope Nate doesn't try and interfere in her life. I think he needs to be practicing medicine and get his own love interest. I could see Devon being a protective big brother, but hopefully not in an OTT way.

• Members

We've seen the tapes for Ana casting call if you recall. They were posted here. 

I didn't say that Ana was like Hilary. A  person having to fight family for a place in the family company is an age old story. One almost every Newman and Abbot on the show has had at one point. It's easy angst to write. 

Let's list shall we, 

Newmans which had it: Vikki, Adam, Noah briefly

Abbots: jack, Ashley, Billy, Kyle

• Members

I don't think Ana needs to immediately be in a relationship. I hate how that's the go to for all characters. I enjoy strong single characters just as much as those in relationships. I don't think everyone needs to date someone. Some of my favorite relationships on soaps are friendships between characters as opposed to romantic pairings.

• Members

I agree sadly, although the stories that captured my attention at all this year were the sibling or interfamily rivalries (Jack/Ashley, Victoria/Ashley, Victoria/Abby, even Hilary/Lily to a small extent), which weren’t romantic rivalries. People have goals in life other than who they want to bang! Unfortunately, the show didn’t want or really know how to develop those in something sustainable. They always revert back to love triangles like Lola/Kyle/Summer/Philly/Shick/Shey/Mia.

• Members

Yeah, it does seem like characters who don't eventually get romances are backburned/pushed to the side. And/or used poorly. Like what is happening with Nate. Nate's storyline has been reduced to him constantly nagging Devon. Even Cane has mostly been reduced to that since Lily has been moved to another prison. There are a few characters like Ashley and even Sharon who can be single, (though she still has multiple men vying for her attention) and still get adequate airtime and storyline. Though, I don't think most of them will very fare well if they aren't eventually placed in a romance.

I do want to see Ana get a love interest, but I also enjoy her bond with Devon and want to see that continue to be showcased. As well as seeing storylines involving things like her working, growing in her career, and interacting with other characters.

• Members

Yes, romance is at the core of soap stories, but it is useful to develop character's other relationships and work issues etc.

The thing with these characters trying to develop music careers under Devon's guidance is that he has billions,right?

Wouldn't he be able to get top producers, arrange publicity etc ?

That bothers me, esp them working out of GC...

• Members

Yeah, I believe he has access to those things and we will see them addressing that a bit more once he meets and probably signs Fen. In today's episode he was trying to get one of the best people to work with one of his artists Renee with Ana's help. Fen also said he felt that working with Devon would be top notch, after Kyle and Mariah asked him why he chose to pursue a music career, in GC instead of places like LA, New York, or Nashville. It sounded like Fen felt like he would have a really good advantage working with Devon. Even over places with strong music scenes and where a lot of people build their music careers.

Archived