Y&R December 2018 Discussion Thread

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The backstage feuding on AW in 1975 really ERUPTED all over the place, and made news in the press for a long time. Nowadays, with the internet and social media, we are used to hearing rumors and ugly stories on a daily basis, but in 1975? Not so much. The daytime press was wont to portray everything through rose-colored glasses until The George Reinholt affair. AW's backstage woes was the first time soap magazines really tore back the curtain and made public such ugly behind-the-scenes turmoil. Personally, I felt AW really plunged in quality that year, and ended up being a mess, just like OLTL did when Rauch descended on Llanview, introduced sci-fi crapola, and started decimating the cast and replacing beloved actors with irrelevant and often irritating newbies, most of whom viewers today don't even remember very well.  And when MEB axed all the vets from ATWT and introduced brain-dead, cretinous stories like the Mr. Big saga? To me, that was as bad, or even worse, than even the garbage we see on Y&R today.

UGH.

I long for the high-quality soaps of yesteryear!

• Members

I wouldn't have had the opportunity to see AW in 1975 and I admit to only reading about Rauch's OLTL exploits (which I read was pretty nightmarish for quite a few members of the cast). 

Some of MEB's tenure at ATWT- I wasn't truly old enough to consume and understand, only really the last year and a half or so.  There was quite a bit of mediocre/bad but there were a few storylines that were interesting enough/not totally terrible during her three years.  And I guess because I didn't read the soap mags at that point, I wasn't privy to the mess happening BTS.

As of February or 2019, a few months' time, Mal Young will have been EP/HW on Y&R as long as MEB was EP on ATWT.  I bet he exceeds her tenure, lol.  

• Members

Back in 1975, one publication (I think it was Afternoon TV Stars, but I'll have to check) devoted a HUGE number of pages in one great issue to The George Reinholt Affair. They had long interviews with Reinholt, Rauch, Lemay, Wyndham, Watson,  etc. It was like reading Hollywood Babylon after growing up on Good Housekeeping, LOL! Very scandalous. The only major player who was not interviewed was Courtney, but Reinholt explained she was frightened about being fired too, so that was why she remained silent. Of course, when she WAS axed a while later, there was another brouhaha in the press, and Courtney shared her blistering accounts of life behind the scenes with most of the soap mags of the day.

I still have all those articles, buried somewhere around here.

It's scary how the networks nowadays allow incompetent PTB to remain in charge for years and years, long after they have proven to be failures. Goutman and Jean P. staying at ATWT for so many years was OUTRAGEOUS! And Mal Young should have been fired after a year (at most) at Y&R. If I had my druthers, I'd hire Ed Scott as EP and kay Alden (without the weak SSM) as headwriter. I'd let the Rosales family fade out and try to re-establish the show's core characters, themes, and tone.

• Members

I liked seeing Fen/Lauren sing together on today's episode. I like their relationship and they are cute together as mother and son. 

Also, while I did like seeing Reed support Charlie, that set up leading them to hit Nikki was a bit contrived. Neither one of them should have been driving, since Charlie had been drinking and Reed has a suspended license. They should have waited for Mattie and she could have drove them to the party. Or better yet they all could have hung out together at the Ashby family home. Especially since it was a snowstorm outside. I do wonder what will happen now that Reed has run over Nikki and how long it will be before everyone finds out that he was the one who hit her.

Still don't care for Mia and I think they need to wrap the JT disappearance storyline up. I think this storyline has been dragging on for too long and it almost seems as if they don't know how to wrap it up. With Rey going round and round in circles with Nikki and the other women involved in the disappearance. 

• Members

I wonder how long Reed will stay around now that they have a storyline with him running down his grandmother. I wonder how long he might keep that a secret once he finds out. I think they threw Charlie into this storyline to give Cane/Victoria more of a reason to interact together and to clash/bond over their kids and the trouble they're in.

Archived