kalbir

Y&R December 2018 Discussion Thread

23 minutes ago, koos said:

I forgot GC Buzz existed.

So did I.  Add that set to the list -- though, it was pretty hideous and did not serve it's purpose well.  Even more remarkable now that I think of it, we have Mariah, the host of this very successful nationally-syndicated gossip/news show living in a one room apartment with her girlfriend.  I guess we are supposed to suspend belief and assume she brings home less money than a substitute teacher working in an inner city. 😒

23 minutes ago, Antoyne said:

Christ they’re trying to redeem Tessa yet again, now by being so caring of Mariah and Sharons relationship. God when will this albatross be gone. 

It's bizarre how long they've held onto her. This was a great chance to dump her and move on but yet, here we are (aren't we going on two years?). I watched today and I'm just not sure why. I actually like the new Ana and Fen though, so far. I just wish they'd cast young men who are believable to me playing straight. I keep waiting for Fen and Kyle to suddenly start making out. And I really really don't care about Fen being a singer. At least it makes sense to have a music story around Devon and Ana. I've just never cared about the music business on daytime. And it would have worked better had they cast the Mattie actress as Ana and gave the singing stuff to Reed, but at least Fen and the new Ana seem capable so far and they're more interesting in one day than Reed or Mattie ever were to me. It just feels a little juvenile of a story for Fen.

Edited by KMan101

8 minutes ago, KMan101 said:

It's bizarre how long they've held onto her. This was a great chance to dump her and move on but yet, here we are (aren't we going on two years?). I watched today and I'm just not sure why. I actually like the new Ana and Fen though, so far. I just wish they'd cast young men who are believable to me playing straight. I keep waiting for Fen and Kyle to suddenly start making out. And I really really don't care about Fen being a singer. At least it makes sense to have a music story around Devon and Ana. I've just never cared about the music business on daytime. And it would have worked better had they cast the Mattie actress as Ana and gave the singing stuff to Reed, but at least Fen and the new Ana seem capable so far and they're more interesting in one day than Reed or Mattie ever were to me. It just feels a little juvenile of a story for Fen.

Um are you out of your mind. The Mattie actress as Ana? The actress playing Ana now has acted circles around that Mattie girl and she’s only been around a month.  

I do agree, I’m not interested in music on soaps at all though. It actually annoys me.

Edited by Antoyne

Has music ever been done well on these shows? All I can remember are Danny on Y&R, Miguel/L&B records on GH, and Flash/Sarah on OLTL, and most of the time the actors have been terrible, and the writing has been laughable.

That song Fen sang with Lauren the other day was awful.

56 minutes ago, Antoyne said:

Um are you out of your mind. The Mattie actress as Ana? The actress playing Ana now has acted circles around that Mattie girl and she’s only been around a month.  

I do agree, I’m not interested in music on soaps at all though. It actually annoys me.

lol. I meant at the time .... Obviously I prefer the actress playing Ana now, by about a million miles. I'm not that far gone yet ;) 

And agreed. It annoys me a lot too. And they just keep trying them time and time again.

44 minutes ago, Costello said:

Has music ever been done well on these shows? All I can remember are Danny on Y&R, Miguel/L&B records on GH, and Flash/Sarah on OLTL, and most of the time the actors have been terrible, and the writing has been laughable.

That song Fen sang with Lauren the other day was awful.

It always just feels like such a waste of time and no, most are not done well at all. Danny and L&B are the only two that seemed to 'work' and were they even all that interesting or great? It helped that Damian and Wally Kurth (and Ricky Martin) were cute and could sing and it paralelled them as they were also into music, clearly, outside of the soap. It 'worked' far better than what we usually end up with now. LOL

At least it feels natural to have Devon and Ana in the music industry.

Edited by KMan101

2 hours ago, koos said:

I forgot GC Buzz existed.

Probably for the best. Hilary should have been working for Jabot, Newman or Chancellor.

I agree with everyone who's saying that music stories always suck on soaps. As much as boxing stories. Maybe even drug addiction stories, since they never want to go there.

Tessa was Mal's daughter insertion. Now that he's gone, I'm sure Tessa will follow. 

2 hours ago, SteelCity said:

Probably for the best. Hilary should have been working for Jabot, Newman or Chancellor.

I agree with everyone who's saying that music stories always suck on soaps. As much as boxing stories. Maybe even drug addiction stories, since they never want to go there.

Nah. She should have been working to help Devon build HWG so that when they broke up, their fight over the company would have made sense. Hilary going after what's rightfully hers versus looking like some grasping gold digger making a fool of Devon. 

4 hours ago, JabotCEO said:

So did I.  Add that set to the list -- though, it was pretty hideous and did not serve it's purpose well.  Even more remarkable now that I think of it, we have Mariah, the host of this very successful nationally-syndicated gossip/news show living in a one room apartment with her girlfriend.  I guess we are supposed to suspend belief and assume she brings home less money than a substitute teacher working in an inner city. 😒

Every time they have Mariah's financial problem mentioned I get so frustrated.

12 hours ago, JabotCEO said:

While Mal's writing has been hit or miss during his tenure (75% a miss due to poor pacing and gaping plot holes!), nothing comes close to the abysmal production values he's subjected us to.  The shrunken sets for the GCAC, Victoria's house, the Ashby home, the police station, and Top of the Tower are ridiculous.  Making matters even worse: the poor staging.  Yesterday's episode with Maddie entering the Ashby kitchen was appalling.  She just appeared like an apparition. The new sets (i.e., Nick's house and the Dark Horse office space) are more spacious, but the sets themselves are not aesthetically pleasing.  Overall, the lighting is so bright -- making everything look cheap and washed out.  The only set that has any depth and character is the Abbott mansion, which luckily Mal didn't strike down.  From my count, under Mal's tenure, the following sets have been struck down:

• The Newman Ranch
  • The Newman Tack House
  • The Underground
  • Newman Enterprises' Executive Reception Area
  • Victor Newman's Office
  • The Chancellor Estate
  • The Chelsea 2.0 Office Space
  • Summer Newman's Apartment
  • Paul Williams' Office
  • The Baldwin Penthouse
  • Michael Baldwin's Office
  • The Jabot Conference Room

Did I miss any...?

Obliviously, some are not necessarily needed any longer (like Chelsea's office space and Summer's apartment), but the Newman Ranch, Victor's office, and the Chancellor Estate are staples of the show.  While the modernized Newman Ranch lacked the warmth of the original set and the new Chancellor Estate set was far less opulent and lush than the house Katherine Chancellor ruled Genoa City from for decades, both still helped make the fictional town of Genoa City appear to be larger and more intricate.  Now everything feels so cramped and the characters look as if they are suffocating since virtually all happenings transpire at the diminished GCAC. 

Agree with you about the sets. It’s a huge, huge problem.

And while I’m glad to see a recording studio, it’s TOO SMALL. Devon is a freaking BILLIONAIRE, and that space does t cut it. When they did the recording studio years ago, it was about 4x bigger.

I am confused when I hear people say how much production values improved over Mal because I think the show looks bad on all levels. The lighting is bad, wardrobe and hair is bad and the sets are small and poorly decorated. B&B is of course the gold standard when it comes to US soap production values, but even GH looks better and we know their budget is limited. Their sets are spacious and the cast looks great. One thing I’ll give JFP is that the show did look sleek and presentable during her tenure. All things said I didn’t find her to be a bad producer on Y&R

Now onto current episodes...they lost me when Ashley left, but Ana and Fen are two of the best new editions in ages. I love that both are legacy characters we know and both were brought on with their family to anchor them which made it a smooth entrance. Both actors are amazing and have strong chemistry with their families. This is how you introduce characters on a US soap. They need to treasure the Ana actress because she is an excellent find. They’ve also made me like Kyle and Lola more. Lola is the only Rosales I would keep. This core four could have legs if the writers take care to mine their potential. It may be time to write of Abby or recast because she isn’t cutting it. Same for Arturo. Maybe send them off together. 

The Nikki stunt came out of nowhere and is a waste. It just seems Mal can’t think of anything interesting for anybody with the last name Newman. You bring Reed back to run over his grandma? And this JT story is horrendous and seems like it’ll never end. I can’t deal with the story being such a stinker and yet they continue to feature it. Nick and Phyllis I actually don’t mind but I hate Dark Horse and the way Nick is written. I liked when Nick was Nikki and Victoria was Victor. Nick simply doesn’t work in business stories. He needs to be with Sharon on that ranch trying to make things work while giving into temptation with Grace or something. Joshua Morrow IS Nick, but he doesn’t work as a businessman. 

Jack and Kerry do have a bit of chemistry, but I don’t want to see Jack with a younger woman at this point. That man is almost 70. I’ll never stop wanting Keemo to return. Jack needs an adult son with adult kids and to be written more like Victor as the head of his family. He isn’t a thirty something man. Plus I think Keemo would give them the opportunity to have an Adam like character without having to recast him an 8th time and retell that tired story over and over again. Also on the subject of Kerry, the actress has dramatically improved from her first episodes. Maybe she was nervous at first. I’d like to see her interacting with new people to see how it would go. 

15 hours ago, JabotCEO said:

10 hours ago, SteelCity said:

Every time they have Mariah's financial problem mentioned I get so frustrated.

10 hours ago, ajsp35801 said:

Mariah has Hilary's old job. Are we to assume Devon was still paying all Hilary's bills? Is that why there is such a disparity in their quality of living?

I definitely think that Mariah makes enough money as the host of GC Buzz to afford a decent looking apartment. I actually think she probably made enough to live on her own, when Hilary was running GC Buzz and Mariah was her co-host. (Though I can understand why Mariah wanted to live with Sharon/her family especially given how close they are). 

IMO, Rey has a better looking apartment than Mariah does. At least he has a bedroom set. Mariah and Tessa have to sleep in that pull out couch in the living room.

Edited by xtr