When real life gets in the way

• Members

But who would have held Bobby prisoner, and why?  Katherine Wentworth?  She was supposedly dead, too.  Anjelica Nero?  She might have made sense.  However, don't forget that Hagman hated that character, hated her storyline, hated working with Barbara Carrera, and wanted all traces of her gone.  Revealing that she was keeping Bobby alive and hidden somewhere would have prolonged her presence.

Edited by Khan

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

JR had at least 1200 enemies...in the city of Dallas alone!  You mean to tell me no writer could come up with someone from his past that had Bobby and the only solution was that Bobby was not dead and the entire season prior to his return was a dream?  This could have been a huge story arc, as opposed to what we got - the biggest JTS moment in soap history!  

• Members

Probably goes without mentioning, but Beverlee's infamous "I'm going on vacation and never coming back" to JFP.   Myrna Clegg should have never been brought in to play Alexandra, she was miscast from Day 1. 

TPTB should have listened to Bev and given her a little break.  Wasn't that her main complaint?  That she had been working too much and wanted a little rest?  

• Members

If I recall, she had a problem with the work hours.. that increased when Farren Phelps came aboard.. and also complained about the writing for Alexandra.. becoming one note with her vendetta against Mindy.  And I tend to agree with her complaints.  

• Members

I recall a similar situation on B&B during the "Rick shot Grant and blocked it out while Ridge took the blame to protect him" story. KKL went on maternity leave and was absent during the scenes when the truth was revealed, and it was left to her replacement Sandra Ferguson to film those scenes, and at least to me that took away a lot of the emotional investment. She just wasn't Brooke.

• Members

Ok so Ive heard whispers that GH wrote Dillion out cause Robert Palmer Waitkins fell outt of favor with ABC, Frank or Varni or any combination

Anyone have intel cause it looked like a Dillion/Kiki/Nelle triangle was gonna form than poof he went to make a film and cheats on Kiki 

ETA: Jamey Giddens said on a recent DC podcast that Wes Ramsey could and should have been Dillon since GH didnt want RPW anymore

Edited by John

• Members

As I recall from her infamous exit interview, she felt the story was done and it was time for a new dimension if it were to continue, and that Alex had become so harsh as a result of everything without balance or a story or love interest to bring her back out of just being a meddling bitch.  Plus the JFP production had added hours to all their days, and her concerns were ignored.

I cannot imagine her on the show that GL turns into within a couple of years after her departure.  She would have quit then anyway.

I just love her, nobody could deliver a line like her.  

• Members

Oh my god. Can you imagine Bev playing some of the mess Marj had to play? She would have stormed off set in disgust. She made the right choice for her dignity and her legacy.

She was the best.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

Another real life intruding on soaps on GL- when Jill Farren Phelps used the focus group data to kill off Maureen Bauer, and somehow the public seemed to know it was because of a focus group.

OLTL- when JFP fired Laura Koffman (Cassie) during her maternity leave, writing her out of the show.

I wonder how many things the various writer’s strikes changed?  We all know things did not play out as they were intended to on many soaps due to the strikes.

Edited by titan1978

• Members

I saw some pregnancy  discussion and I think one of the most notable (and sad) examples of this involved Tracey Bregman. Bregman had become pregnant in real life in early 1990 and Y&R wrote in Lauren getting pregnant as well. Bregman unfortunately had a miscarriage, thus the show featured Lauren having a miscarriage as well. Well soon enough after Tracey and her husband at the time tried again and she was pregnant again and with Bregman's blessing the show went ahead having Lauren pregnant again(this time with Scott) and everything went well . All of this in the midst of the original Sheila story heating up of course; you can certainly feel Bregman's raw emotion throughout the whole baby switch story. 

• Members

Back to Patsy Pease, who seemed to have terrible luck with a number of stories as Kim, the grueling DID story she had to play in 1992 made her relive her childhood sexual abuse, I think to the point where she could no longer leave her dressing room to film scenes. She was fired and replaced by Ariane Munker.

• Members

Another pregnancy one...Kate Mulgrew while on RH. Mary kept her baby but Kate gave hers up for adoption.

I remember Larkin Malloy's car accident while he was on EON and James Horan replacing him. I don't remember if anything was majorly rewritten because of it, though. When Larkin returned, he/Sky was using a cane.

Real life couples being written off their show together: Beth Ehlers & Mark Derwin, Judith Light & Robert Desiderio

On AW, when Linda Dano was going to get a facelift, didn't they write about Felicia falling through a window?

• Members

But, if you're an enemy of J.R.'s, who is looking to act out your revenge against him in the way that leaves him most vulnerable, you're not going after his brother.  You're going after his son and namesake -- which is exactly what B.D. Calhoun did, post-dream season, IIRC.

Pretty much.

DALLAS might have been a primetime soap, but it was still grounded in some reality.  Ergo, saying that Bobby wasn't really dead, even though we saw him flatline on-screen, wouldn't have been acceptable.  (At that time, that [!@#$%^&*] wouldn't have flown even on daytime.)  Just as it was too much of a stretch to say that Miss Ellie gave birth to twins, but that she and Jock brought home only one (Bobby).  I mean, take a look around here -- there are still people on SON who thought it was impossible how Y&R's Sharon remembered giving birth only to Cassie, or how OLTL's Viki remembered giving birth only to Jessica, or how ATWT's Iva remembered giving birth only to Lily!  And as today's soap fans, or daytime soap fans, we've become more accustomed to improbable plot twists such as those!  In 1980-whatever, a plot twist that would have revealed Bobby's long-lost twin brother would have been as laughable to audiences as the "dream shower" ended up being.

Now, if they had brought back Patrick Duffy as a Bobby lookalike, like how KNOTS brought back Lisa Hartman as Cathy after Ciji had been murdered, and then transitioned him gradually into Bobby's place as J.R.'s adversary at Ewing Oil, I think audiences MIGHT have held out.  But, OTOH, they might have said, "Either he's back AS Bobby, or it's nothing."

Edited by Khan