Jump to content
j swift

When real life gets in the way

Recommended Posts

Patrick Duffy leaving and returning screwed up Dallas. Victoria Principal leaving was the final nail in the coffin for the decline. Jim Davis death also was a blow to the show. That storyline where they toyed with the idea of Wes being Jock didn't sit right. I think Jock should have died and a proper funeral be done, not that crap they tried to milk.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, j swift said:

I forgot to include the 2001 Stavros Casadine plot that was rewritten after 9/11.  Stavros and Helena were supposed to bomb GH but it seemed inappropriate for the time and it was rewritten so that Stavros fell into a hole in the basement of GH; that hole was never seen again although Stavros some how survived and returned.

 

Another time when one of Megan McTavish's whacked-out scenarios was truncated due to a real-life tragedy.  Either she was one prescient writer, or psychotic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Khan said:

Megan McTavish's whacked-out scenarios was truncated due to a real-life tragedy.  Either she was one prescient writer, or psychotic.

Wow, that's amazing that she wrote both stories!  I thought it was just that ABC was especially sensitive to this type of issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, carolineg said:

Was that the whole "endgame" plot that Tony Geary wrote or help write?  Because that was just dumb all around re-write or not.

 

Now that you mention it, Caroline, I do recall Tony Geary being credited for the story (w/ Irene Suyer).  IIRC, too, he even went to SOD and disavowed it, claiming his and Suyer's treatment for "Endgame" was not the same story that appeared onscreen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Khan said:

 

Now that you mention it, Caroline, I do recall Tony Geary being credited for the story (w/ Irene Suyer).  IIRC, too, he even went to SOD and disavowed it, claiming his and Suyer's treatment for "Endgame" was not the same story that appeared onscreen.

Yeah, I am pretty sure he sort of spoiled what he had 'written' too and it was nothing like what appeared on GH.

 

What about Melrose Place? The bombing of the actual building had to put off to the next season right?  Kimberly just had her hand on the trigger or pushed it but we didn't see the aftermath until next year because of the OKC bombing.  I don't think it really effected the story much though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another example: Henry Slesar's having to rewrite the Eliot Dorn/"Children of Earth" storyline in the wake of the mass suicide that occurred with Jim Jones' followers in Georgetown, British Guyana.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, carolineg said:

What about Melrose Place? The bombing of the actual building had to put off to the next season right?  Kimberly just had her hand on the trigger or pushed it but we didn't see the aftermath until next year because of the OKC bombing.  I don't think it really effected the story much though.

Hunter Tylo would beg to differ that it didn't effect story and she got 5 mil as a result - remember that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, j swift said:

Hunter Tylo would beg to differ that it didn't effect story and she got 5 mil as a result - remember that?

 

Hunter Tylo was supposed to be brought in later.  She had nothing to do with the apartment bomb story lol.  She was cast as Lisa Rinna's character who appeared in season 5 and on and who got pregnant too lol.

Do you think Tylo's firing effected any Taylor story?  I can't imagine Tylo/Rinna's Taylor's matching up.  Rinna was such a fun, campy villain.  I can't imagine Tylo doing that...Also did they name the character after Hunter's character on B&B.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait, are we talking about the "pregnancy suit" that climaxed with the stunning reveal that flat-bellied Hunter was, in fact, ready to drop her kid at any moment?  Now THAT was a real-life soap opera!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Khan said:

Henry Slesar's having to rewrite the Eliot Dorn/"Children of Earth" storyline in the wake of the mass suicide that occurred with Jim Jones' followers in Georgetown, British Guyana.

Great example - although I've always wondered how much casting played into that decision.  Lee Godart was too suave and debonair to run a hippy cult, he needed to live in Margo's penthouse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Khan said:

Wait, are we talking about the "pregnancy suit" that climaxed with the stunning reveal that flat-bellied Hunter was, in fact, ready to drop her kid at any moment?  Now THAT was a real-life soap opera!

I think so?  I was talking about the actual bombing being pushed back, but Hunter vs. Spelling works too....

 

I think Hunter herself is a real life soap

Edited by carolineg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@carolineg @Khan I made the classic soap actress mistake of confusing Morgan Britney for Hunter Tylo.  Ms. Britney's character of Mackenzie Hart was a victim of Kimberly's bomb and I mistakenly thought that was the part the Hunter was going to play.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, j swift said:

 

1 hour ago, j swift said:

I wonder how Lee's unplanned exit affected the planning for and writing of Renee?

After Lee abruptly left Salem, one of the characters — perhaps Renee — was talking about Lee and said something about cleaning up her bathroom. I found the line horribly insensitive as Brenda Benet had killed herself in her bathroom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, P.J. said:

 

I believe Caleb started down that road as a result of being accused of Henry Lange's murder. So I'm going to assume before. 

 

It was before, as I remember seeing MDM in the cop uniform 

 

Caleb changed a great deal with the recast. Graham Winton was a competent actor who was very dry...he would have made a better Seth recast. He also had less chemistry with Susan Marie Snyder. And the pairing of Julie and Caleb went from two complicated, self-destructive people to do-gooder Caleb and Julie the screw-up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Morgan Brittany is an actress who is capable of so many things.  Unfortunately, portraying Patrick Muldoon's wife is not one of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...