Y&R January 2018 Discussion Thread

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I know I'm late, but damn Sharon Case was excellent. I loved that she threw that ring away. I loved that Mariah blurted out, "it was Abby." I loved that Sharon acknowledged her mistakes, and how people thought she would break (like the audience lol).

On the opposite end, I enjoyed that Abby gave it back to Sharon. 

This week has seen some good writing overall, and is definitely a strength of the new regime (just get the pacing better). I actually forgot that Christian was not Nick's child, but that ending with Chelsea adds some tension. I just hope Nick/Sharon are not the end game. Also nice to see Joshua Morrow get some good writing, and deliver on it.

Edit: Having Sharon talk to Nick, and then having the next day actually worked for that episode. Made much more sense since Scott was out of town, rather than getting a whole episode of Sharon grovelling. The reveal was much better than that weak Nick/Phyllis affair years ago.

• Members

I caught the last 25 minutes today for first time in two weeks. The Dina scenes are overkill, but MA is still must-watch - they should pull an Empire (the fake ALS diagnosis) - Graham been drugging her and since Dina was beholden to Graham, she's still taking the 'magic' pills. 

I was shockingly drawn to the Nelsea scenes - they were not only written well, but also JM/MCE were spot on. 

SC was positively stunning in the clothes dumping/ring snuffing scene. I thought for a moment when she looked at the ring, she'd cave - but SC spun it in such a perfect kiss off. I'll always be grateful to SSM for resetting Sharon. This gives me hope that MY will keep down that path. Strong Sharon works!  

• Members

Or...Dina's faking the Alzheimer's, because she wants to expose the vulnerabilities in both her family and Jabot, thereby leaving them wide open for a takeover attempt from Mergeron Cosmetics.

But, too bad it didn't end with Chelsea grabbing a gun and shooting Nick in the balls.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

It helped that they had something solid to deal with as a couple & they were better integrated into the main cast.

Usually their scenes consist of them isolated together in forced "cute" moments or sitting around arguing about one of Nick's random tangents.

• Members

Y&R has been doing very well at writing conflict scenes involving couples for the past few years now.

The Jack and Phyllis break up scenes (after the revelation of the Billy/Phyllis affair) were done pretty well.

Even though Lily and Cane are clearly headed for a reconciliation (after which there won't be much use for them again), the scenes with them struggling through marriage counseling were also pretty well written.

I think conflict and anger is usually easier to write/act/play out than other emotions because it is so forceful and there are fewer levels to it emotionally than, say, indifference.

• Members

Max Shippee is attractive no doubt, but I can't help but feel he's out of his depth in high-drama scenes in which he's up against the likes of Eileen Davidson, Beth Maitland, Marla Adams, and Peter Bergman. That last scene didn't work for me at all. 

Outside of Traci's scenes with Dina, this episode felt like a big step back in a week of stronger-than-normal episodes. And Cane/Lily? Blah, who cares?

Archived