Y&R: August 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm imaging if Kevin was back and now they are bringing him back and if he would be involved in this s/l...I couldn't stand how Paul would praise Kevin?

It looks pathetic and horrible Paul who knows his horrible history is fine with Kevin working for or with him? Then again when has Paul ever solved any case or had any interesting story?

I know why I haven't liked Paul for a very long time.  Him and the Baldwin/Fishers disgust me.

Funny I do like Scotty though.

• Members

Yeah, I am wondering whether this was one of the stories that might have led to their ouster.  I hate to think this but I recently ventured to a few other messageboards and it just seems as though some posters' mood ranges between ambivalent to downright hostile at the prospect.  

It makes me wonder whether there were some angry letters and e-mails, etc. Many of these people won't open express homophobia but they use other channels (like old fashioned letter-writing) to express it quietly.

In terms of the human-trafficking story, I'm trying not to compare this with what AMC did about four years ago but I've already noticed how much distance Y&R allows its viewers from the story by making the victim a stranger rather than a character that we've at least known for a few months.

• Members

You would think someone at CBS would have vetoed the storyline before it had gotten to this point. As much as the network hates to piss off its aging, conservative viewers, CBS is already under huge scrutiny for the lack of diversity in its primetime programming. To let the story go this far (with Mariah and Tessa kissing) and then pull back only invites a social media backlash.

• Members

This is pathetic in 2017. I know your network skews older and makes comfort food procedurals and sitcoms for old people, but a number of those shows feature gay characters. Give me a [!@#$%^&*] break. Even GH and DAYS have a bit more courage in their threadbare convictions re: gay storylines. You're the #1 network - act like it.

• Members

The show really is in the dumpster if they think their main problem is Teriah.

@DramatistDreamer I tend to think Teriah was MY's baby.

I caught up on Tuesday's show. I see they introduced the sex trafficking girl. So please welcome Noah's next girlfriend once he breaks up with Tessa.

• Members

For years, I've been saying that Y&R has to be the most conservative of the soaps over the last decade and hearing about viewers flipping out over Mariah and Tess cements that belief, in my mind.

I mean, we're talking about a network that didn't even want to consummate Victoria's relationship with Neil in any realistic or physical way, because why?  The South?

Please register in order to view this content

This is why I feel that the human-trafficking story will be watered down. I know some people thought AMC's was too brutal and harsh but you couldn't say that they were being wishy-washy in any way.

With the relationship between Mariah and Tess, I immediately wondered whether they would be allowed to realistically be portrayed in a manner that showed a blossoming romance between two consenting adults and I must admit, that my mind thought about the Katherine flirts with a lesbian relationship story, that I've heard so much about.  I have a feeling Y&R is going to draw from that playbook in this storyline.

Archived