Y&R: February 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

Going from a billionaire to Jack isn't social climbing. It's taking a huge fall down the ladder. Jack is a perpetual loser. Add to that Hillary's refusal to take Devon's money and I'm having a hard time seeing her as a social climbing vixen.

Now if they were to throw Hillary into the mix with Nick and Chelsea, I'm fine with that. I'd choose Noah, but that character just isn't working and I don't think Hillary can fix it. Kyle has been mentioned, but he's not even on the show and I can't root for that when we haven't even seen a casting call or know who would be in the role.

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I guess that's part of the issue too. Some want hilary to be this social climbing vixen/man eater while others want a more honest character. The show, for some time, hadn't decided on who Hilary is either. I wish they'd pick a personality/goal and stick with it. Stop jerking fans around with the character. 

• Members

Jill & Jack could be interesting. I've always enjoyed their scenes and would welcome them giving it a try. I've heard of people going back to marry their high school crush in old age. So why not?

I liked Jill fighting with Kay so I was happy to see her go back to it. Jill was starting to be a force in the business world, her schemes didn't have to rely on just sex anymore.

I didn't think she was weak until they made Jill Katherine's daughter. I used to cringe when Jill would yearn for Kay's approval. She was always crying & insecure after that.  I wouldn't have minded the connection if they would have continued their rivalry like Adam & Victor did. JiIl should have been pissed that Kay gave her away to grow up in poverty. 

Before that I loved JW's Jill. Of course I was upset that BD was gone. I hate recasts, and didn't like the other ones either. But I grew to love JW in the role. She was business Jill to me, and she could also have fun, and enjoy life here and there. She seemed to love her children more too. Jill wasn't evil at the beginning. She turned that way to survive Kay. I thought it natural that some of her goodness returned once she wasn't battling for her existence anymore. She started to enjoy men for her own selfish pleasure instead of just using them to pay her expenses. 

• Members

A woman doesn't have to be a social climber to be a vixen. There have been plenty of vixens who built their own careers and maintained independence without marrying 'big'. On Y&R in the 80s, Lauren was a vixen. On ATWT in the 80s, Barbara Ryan was a vixen. Neither women married 'ballers'.  Both women had personalities, drive and cunning/manipulation abilities on their own irrespective of who they were dating married to.

It would be better if Hillary continued to be a vixen based on her own personality regardless of who she is involved with/married to (the 'social climber' vixen strikes me as very 1960s and out of date), she doesn't have to have anything to do with chasing someone's bank accounts or some status symbols but the writing just has to be there for her to be a modern (gosh, 1980s, at least) vixen.

• Members

I actually thought they were trying the modern vixen route when Hilary first started at GC Buzz and decided to use her (fake) maiden name professionally. That didn't seem to go over too well and was misconstrued as her not loving Devon. Soap audiences, even the younger viewers, are very traditional. 

• Members

Of course she would. She's also been shown and said to be irresistible to men.  She's had some panting after her. Hilary's desirability has never been in question. . It's how Devon is played that gives me pause. They'd have us believe that none of the women in town would be interested in him. Up until about 2 months ago, even hilary's interest was in question. 

• Members

Again, I'd be all for it if the stars are aligned correctly.

I wish instead of Gloria that Jack would've wound up back in bed with Jill, and that led to the foundation of Jill v. Hilary, as Hilary became the modern day Jill; however, as others have pointed out, it would be weird for Hilary to downgrade from billionaire Devon to Jack. 

• Members

Not if Devon loses most of his money. Which will probably happen at some point, at least temporarily. It's a tried and true classic storyline for a wealthy character. I think Jill's on her third time now. Katherine's fortune kept getting in the wrong hands all the time when she was alive.

• Members

Sorry but I have absolutely no interest in seeing Jack and Hillary together in any romantic capacity. If you think Y&R's ratings are struggling, try a Hillary and Jack pairing and watch it fall further down the tubes.

I may be in the minority, but irrespective of storyline, I have no interest in seeing this pairing.

• Members

If that's the case then I sure as hell don't want this pairing. I don't want to see the Black character lose his/her fortune so fast after getting it. It is not appealing to me at all. Still bothers me that Devon is living in a damn penthouse instead of the Chancellor estate. 

^

This. 

They should've did a Jack/Devon/Hilary triangle from the start when they were somewhat teasing it. Hilary falling for Neil was the stupidest sh-t ever. Especially, when Neil finally found a viable partner post-Dru in Leslie. I still get p*ssed at how they tossed Leslie (and Tyler) to the side for their White counterparts, Kelly & Stitch--who practically had the same damn backstory and Tyler and Leslie. 

Understanable. 

I don't mind the pairing as young women and older men have been slapped together on daytime from the start of time. 

Archived