Y&R: February 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

???? I didn't take anything away from Devon. All those ideas would give him lots of story. He doesn't have much conflict now. Am I more interested in Hillary than Devon? Yes, much more! I follow the female characters, especially the ambitious pushy ones, so the stories I want to see would feature them.

Your posts are driven by your internal bitterness that Devon isn't Katherine's sole heir so that Devon has dibs on everything Katherine breathed on throughout her life. Also because Devon is connected to the Y&R legacy Chancellor name through marriage, like how Dylan was connected to Newman, but it's not his namesake. Which I guess is the reason is why you're so frantic for him to own Chancellor Industries. As if somehow that makes him a Chancellor. I don't see how desperately holding on to a name, that is not his, makes him interesting.

Devon has to his make his own legacy on the show, Katherine's 40 + years doesn't transfer to him simply because the writer's pen connected them before she died. That can't happen without major conflicts & Kay isn't around anymore to make them for him. Victor Newman made his own name a legacy, so could Devon if he's the right character.

• Members

Oh well you are preaching to the choir here. JW must be a wonderful person, but her take on Jill is shrill and weak. You can see it in her eyes she doesn't have an ounce of evilness in her, that's why she resorts to shouting and getting teary eyed in her scenes. This has never worked for the character.

• Members

Exactly. The reason why I still stan for this is that Jack/Hillary have a well-established relationship based on friendship and mutual respect. I never viewed it as a golddigger. Yes, I mentioned the John/Jill comparison, but it was more of the age thing and what the family would assume. Hillary is accomplished in her own right and doesn't need Jack's money. While I'd love to see Hillary with someone like Noah and Billy, the foundation isn't there. I just don't want MM/Bryton to be stuck in this bubble where the only path is back to each other. Soaps would really benefit if some of the characters had more flings instead of every liaison somehow tied to a one or both characters professing love. 

• Members

Thank you. I can't see anything juicy about it either. It would be a huge turn off to me, since I even think Jack is way too old for GT Phyllis. If it weren't a gold-digger situation it would make even less sense to me. What woman goes from Devon to someone who needs a little blue pill willingly? To what end? Practicing her nursing skills? Hillary has expressed an interest in children is Jack going to be a daddy at his age? No thanks. Plus the double standard of some fans is really flabbergasting. Victoria is with a couple of guys who are at most 10 years younger than her and people act like it's a big deal.

• Members

The problem with Jack and Hilary is that after a few months she would get involved with a younger man and we would Neil/Hilary/Devon all over again.

I agree that Jack needs a mature love interest, NOT Gloria who belongs to a different kind of soap opera and not Y&R. Perhaps Jill or Lauren. Olivia might also be an interesting choice. Not Phyllis, since she is another example of a character who morphed into a brand new person after the recast. She is so young, vibrant and fun these days (she is definately not somebody's grandmother)

And no to another star from another soap again. These pairings haven't worked either. 

• Members

Correct. How many times will they tell the same story for Hilary? 

None. And I think we all can agree to that. The folks who want the pairing want it for reasons other than it making sense for the character of Hilary. It's about opening up the canvas, perceived prestige associated with certain characters over others, history of willingness to write for PB, etc. But none of that has to do with it making sense for Hilary as a young woman. 

I get your reasoning. You want the canvas opened up to Devon/Hilary. You don't want them limited story wise like like Neil and Lily/Cane. However, the show can establish foundations with other characters for Hilary. It doesn't need to be old ass Jack. Especially when the only story to tell for them is a carbon copy retread of Hilary fighting the entire family for the relationship or Hilary cheating with Jack's son. 

• Members

How can a HW have vets on and yet the stories be so boring or non existent?  Paul and Lauren....golden but I'd rather they had hit the sheets over their grief as Michael walked in.

Again Nikki giving Victoria advice on how to raise her son Reed. How many times is Sally going to play the same scene over and over again?

The troll that is Gloria was on today. Nuff said....

Phyliss and the geek guy...booooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrringgg

• Members

You're correct, I don't want them to write what would make sense for a young woman for Hillary. That would be really boring. Hillary already has a "perceived prestige" associated with some of the characters in GC. When she was hosting the Winters family for Christmas she mentioned to Devon that she was interested in entertaining the ELITE of GC. She wants to social climb! We need one of those on this show! (who is not Gloria). Hillary also wants to make something of herself business wise. Why wouldn't she go after the Abbott, Chancellor, or even the Newman name for herself & the corresponding companies?

I thought Chelsea would be the diva when she first arrived, but they de-clawed her quickly, and it keeps getting worse. She's a nice woman, with wonderful career, & a great mom to a Newman heir.... everything a young woman her age could want ....but it's boring.

• Members

I was for Hilary and Jack when she first popped on the show and was beefing with Jill. Now, not so much. Not because it would be disgusting, but b/c the timing now would be crap. They should've struck the iron while it was hot and made Hilary this generation's Jill while Jill moved into the Katherine role. Hilary should've done something heinous to Jill, which could've ignited a longtime rivalry between much like Jill/Kay's. Instead, the show allowed Jess to walk away, and Hilary went on to be yet another woman to shared by the men in the Winters clan. If the stars align again then I think they should go for it. 

That aside, from today's episode, I am not checking for Gloria and Jack. It is disgusting and utterly unbelievable given what Gloria has done to his family's company. Jack was a sleaze, but he still had boundaries. Gloria's stunt with tampering the cream, which resulted in a woman's death nearly destroyed Jabot. I just don't see Jack engaging in an affair with her. SSM is determined to make Gloria stick on this show some way, somehow. 

Archived