Dallas: Discussion Thread

• Members

I think even David Jacobs admitted in several interviews that "Dallas" was created and developed with Linda Evans in mind.  At some point, however, either Jacobs, Michael Filerman and CBS realized she wouldn't be a good fit for the show, or Linda herself came to the same realization.  Either way, I don't think I could ever see Linda Evans as Pamela Barnes Ewing.  She really was meant for a show like "Dynasty."

RE: Victoria Principal -- I agree with those who think she didn't set out to be so hated by her castmates, or the public.  I mean, you shouldn't go into any line of work expecting to win friends and influence people.  You're there to do the work, so you can pay the bills, keep a roof over your head (and your family's heads, if you have one), food on the table and clothes on everyone's backs.  That's it.  If you want to party and socialize with others, well, like the song says, that's what friends are for.

And I think it was really cruel of fans to expect her to be Andy Gibb's personal savior.  Anyone who has battled addiction or knows someone who has battled can tell you that no one can save an addict BUT that addict; and if he or she don't want to be saved, then the only thing you can do as a loved one and bystander is save yourself.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I don't think it's surprising that they developed it with Linda in mind as she got her start on The Big Valley and Dallas very much had western undertones in it. With that said, I can't see her as Pamela Barnes Ewing either - it would be interesting to think of what direction Dallas would've taken with her in the role though.

Angie Dickinson was originally the one they wanted for Krystle in Dynasty btw.

Edited by te.

• Members

LOL!!

But seriously.  I feel like Linda Evans wouldn't have been as formidable as Pam.  Not that the writing ever made Pam a legitimate threat to J.R. and the rest of the Ewings, but if David Jacobs' original plan was to have Bobby die and Pam take on his brother and other enemies...?  It wouldn't have worked.

• Members

Yeah, except I think Leonard Katzman and his writers might have written the show with more depth.  The Shapiros and Pollocks -- God bless them -- always had big ideas, but they never possessed the skills necessary to make them work.

• Members

The Elizabeth Montgomery biography Twitch Upon a Star claims she was also considered for Krystle. I'm glad she didn't get it, since her performing style would have been at odds with what Dynasty expected of its actors as the show went on.

When it comes to Dallas, I could see Elizabeth playing/being offered Julie Grey, Leslie Stewart, Vanessa Beaumont or Lee Ann De La Vega (even if it was a lot of fun to see Larry and Barbara together again).

• Members

Doesn't surprise me that Montgomery (born 1933) was also considered - it's obvious that Krystle was never meant to be that much younger than Blake as the age never really came up when you look at it. Of course, by casting Linda Evans (in her late 30s at that point) they could do a pregnancy plot, but it was always about the lower-class secretary marrying into a wealthy family - not the young hot trophy wife that we see in todays modern media.

• Members

I guess that was in case Kim Novak wasn't available, turned it down or backed out at the last minute, because I feel like the role was created with her specifically in Jeff Freilich's mind.  Right down to the many "Vertigo" references.

• Members

I think Pam in the miniseries and the first season is so different from what she became that it is difficult to image Linda in the role.  As I recall, Pam was a bit more antagonistic.  Miss Ellie was warning Sue Ellen to have a baby quickly, or Pam would have the first grandchild and solidify her place in the family.  In later seasons, both Pam and Miss Ellie became so sweet that butter wouldn't melt in their mouths.  However, in those early episodes they really played up Pam as being Digger's daughter and as a result she was more of a contrast to Sue Ellen and Miss Ellie (maybe a bit more like the character of Afton).

• Members

Producers can “consider” any name they can think of. But in reality, Elizabeth Montgomery wasn’t interested in another weekly series. God knows ABC tried for years to get her to do another sitcom. She just wanted to do her occasional TV movies and live the good life.