Dallas: Discussion Thread

• Members

She popped in and out of Dynasty because she had another job at TJ Hooker.
And she owned her career to Aaron Spelling so wasn't going to happen.

To be honest, while Jack was a dud, I don't think Jamie was. Writing wasn't strong but I liked JH fine in the role. She definitely grew the way the character did - stronger as time went by.  It is just that it went nowhere.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Some Dallas rating trivia...

In the week ending Nov 9 1980, Dallas premiered new season episodes (late because of a strike) CBS showed 4 episodes -  2 reruns and 2 new eps.

Thurs at 10 (rpt) 24.7/42

Fri at 9 (rpt) 31.8/51

Fri at 10 (season premiere) 38.2/51

Sun at 10 40.0/59

Leading up to the record breaking Who Shot JR ep.

• Members

I think that shows you how much the broadcast landscape have changed - the repeat leading into the being relatively close to the season premiere, but also putting a huge season premiere like that at Friday at 10. Definitively wouldn't happen today.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

LMAO! I still would like to get through the entire series at some point. It’s just everytime I try, I drift off into other things. I owe it to my favorite (Sue Ellen) to finish her journey. I liked Season none of Dynasty by the way, it was different for them but good television.

• Members

I don't know if I agree with the latter

Please register in order to view this content

but bringing him Stephanie Beacham as Sable made that season enjoyable despite the fact everyone was one foot out of the door already. But it didn't feel like another step in the decline. There was enough frosty fun with that character that you weren't bored
Any long-running show declines and usually some of the OG actors leaving generally mark a step in that direction. Where Dallas failed, IMO, was in bringing new characters that would be compelling. I don't need to list all the failed attempts at introducing new faces but not one of them ever gelled. The only one that lasted was April and the writing for her was awful and extremely inconsistent.
Every show struggles with failed characters but they generally manage to introduce new faces that give a shot in the arm to the show (Anne on Knots Landing or Sable in Dynasty last season). Dallas was left with a dwindling cast of OG actors and absolutely nothing remotely compelling to replace them.
And I think the show runners underestimated how much JR couldn't be the entire show because "I love to hate him" only works in small doses.

• Members

!!!! All this !!!! This goes for almost every show when it comes to the baddies.

definitely, Sable made it worthwhile. I loved her! That’s all true about Dallas, but I believe there was a step ahead with the new characters. Jamie and Jack was like the first attempt to me and it worked for awhile. The show was like scared to taking any real risks. 

• 3 weeks later...