Jump to content

Dallas: Discussion Thread


Recommended Posts

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's one of the most misleading promos I've ever seen! It's also just a bad promo - the last half is so sour.

 

I also had to laugh at Jack Scalia being one of Dallas' biggest stars.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, DRW50 said:

That's one of the most misleading promos I've ever seen! It's also just a bad promo - the last half is so sour.

 

I also had to laugh at Jack Scalia being one of Dallas' biggest stars.

Yeah I thought we were going to get a who shot Jr part 2.

Edited by Soapsuds
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Soapsuds said:

Series finale promo

 

 

Damn that promo was awful lol why would they advertise it like that? I'm sure a lot of people were going to watch regardless of what happened

Edited by AbcNbc247
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, AbcNbc247 said:

Damn that promo was awful lol why would they advertise it like that? I'm sure a lot of people were going to watch regardless of what happened

It was like false advertising...lol

Link to post
Share on other sites

That promo is better than the actual episode. With the exception of Mary Crosby whose character was dead, it would've been so nice to see all those others back in a REAL episode. It would've been a send off deserving Dallas. You'd have Gary and Val back to tie up loose ends and potentially give an opening to JR returning to Knots Landing, then you'd be able to script a proper ending to JR and Sue Ellen, you could address the baby Cally had and didn't tell JR about. It's wild the biggest complaint of the later years were so many people leaving and they brought them back for a fantasy episode.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I remember hearing about the “it was all a dream” scenario about a month before the season premiere of “Dallas” in 1986. Then the promos started listing it as a resolution. The speculation was that CBS didn’t want to spring it on people because they knew it was a cop out. So they put it out there. That premiere was highly rated, but the episode the following week dropped to #14. Ratings gradually recovered/stabilized for the season and it ranked #11 for the season. The bottom really fell out when Victoria Principal left the following year.

Edited by Chris 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Chris 2 said:

I remember hearing about the “it was all a dream” scenario about a month before the season premiere of “Dallas” in 1986. Then the promos started listing it as a resolution. The speculation was that CBS didn’t want to spring it on people because they knew it was a cop out. So they put it out there. That premiere was highly rated, but the episode the following week dropped to #14. Ratings gradually recovered/stabilized for the season and it ranked #11 for the season. The bottom really fell out when Victoria Principal left the following year.

 

I know some felt that (aside from Angelica Nero and such) the stories in the dream season were better than the Bobby return season. Did you?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know a dream was the only thing they could do, but I always felt that it should’ve been Bobby’s dream.

 

Have Katherine really run him over, but instead of Bobby dying, he fell into a coma and dreamt everything. Basically we saw what Bobby saw. 
 

They wouldn’t have had to reset the show as much as they did in Season 10 and it would’ve fixed a lot of the plot holes 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DRW50 said:

 

I know some felt that (aside from Angelica Nero and such) the stories in the dream season were better than the Bobby return season. Did you?

The best thing about the dream season was Sue Ellen hitting rock bottom and rising above it all.

 

Angelica Nero and the whole jungle mess was just terrible.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The first half of the dream season is quite good to be fair, it's the second half that got into a bit of a rambling mess with the jungle and Nero stuff.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Inspired by the fact Jane Wyman is the thumbnail for one of the two promos above, I'd compare the Falcon finale with Dallas' and say that while Falcon Crest was absolutely horrible in its last season, worse than Dallas, and didn't quite neatly tie up everything in its finale either, it ended up with that beautiful speech that was simple but conveyed the emotional resonance of the show and the characters, even if we didn't get any guest stars or interesting plots. So it left a good taste because it acknowledged the emotional attachment of fans of the show (and you'd have to be a fan to still have been watching by that point).

As someone said above, Dallas' finale was unsatisfying AND bleak. That's a bad combination.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FrenchBug82 said:

Inspired by the fact Jane Wyman is the thumbnail for one of the two promos above, I'd compare the Falcon finale with Dallas' and say that while Falcon Crest was absolutely horrible in its last season, worse than Dallas, and didn't quite neatly tie up everything in its finale either, it ended up with that beautiful speech that was simple but conveyed the emotional resonance of the show and the characters, even if we didn't get any guest stars or interesting plots. So it left a good taste because it acknowledged the emotional attachment of fans of the show (and you'd have to be a fan to still have been watching by that point).

As someone said above, Dallas' finale was unsatisfying AND bleak. That's a bad combination.

That was the problem with the Dallas finale. 
 
I liked it, but it didn’t pay tribute to the show, as a whole, like a finale should.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy