Dallas: Discussion Thread

• Members

I detest SH's politics but she was a fantastic actress and Donna a great character. I second everyone's take but I do know that her refusal to play certain stories because of private beliefs probably irked them and irks me. I respect someone's right to have opinions; not impose them on her character. If Dixie Carter can play an outspoken liberal, then Howard should have lived with whatever they wrote for her.

But as for Donna's value, we go back to the show writers not understanding the concept of strong women beyond a few episodes and isolated moments. In the end, things must go back to the "right way" in which Ewing men dominate, Ray included.

I know about how gay rights were seen in the 80s; it does not make it any less disgusting even "in context" (racism wasn't OK even when it was widespread either). And characterizing the show as "family-oriented" was hypocrisy of the highest order even at the times considering JR's behavior. So, you know, unsurprised and understanding of the context but still displeased by that anecdote. I will judge people harshly for bigotry, even when bigotry was widespread.

One of my biggest irritation of the post-dream-season lack of cleanup was indeed Katherine just disappearing considering that if Bobby's death had been a dream, she was still around and not an outright murderer.

I don't know if Lucy would have been my choice but that's the kind of story I had suggested earlier should have made up the final season. Instead of the random guest arc from Barbara Eden and *Michelle* taking over, they should have build up a season-long plot involving Lucy and others indeed and making JR's downfall at the hands of his enemies spectacular and involving tons of fun cameos.

And we go back to our earlier conversation: the frame HAD to be a man vs a man. And JR vs a weaker enemy. 
They couldn't let Pamela headline the opposition to JR. And they couldn't give a space to the Wentworth where the Wentworth had an upper hand to play.
They had to face on the field that JR could always win on: oil.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Another thing that helped build and and later decline Dallas was the "Who Shot J.R." storyline. Dallas quickly became the most watched show in the world and after all the hoopla was over, they painted themselves into a corner of how to top that cliff hanger. They even repeated it by having Bobby get shot in his office. The series finale was a let down.

Charlene Tilton wasn't the best actress, but I would liked to have seen Lucy get even with J.R. in the end with a corporate take over of Ewing Oil. She could have crawled into bed so to speak in her plot with Jeremy Wendell. 

In another scenario Pamela (who everyone thought dead) was behind a corporate take over. She and Bobby reunite and remarry. When it is revealed she has one upped J.R.....in the final scene J.R. repeats the line from episode 1 in 1978......" Looks like I under estimated the power of new Mrs. Ewing, Well I won't do that again"  Freeze Frame ....THE END

• Members

Afton was also a wasted opportunity because while she lacked book smarts, she knew how to read people.

She knew Clayton was into Sue Ellen (even Jr said she was perceptive because he missed that)...and she knew Katherine wasn't to be trusted and warned everyone in various ways.

It was why I didn't like in the revival how dismissive Bobby was of Afton..because she was always close to Pam (even naming her daughter after her and Pam's mom).

• Members

It would have been funny if she married Jeremy Wendell who was old enough to be her grandfather. If that had happened though, I picture her getting on his nerves big time. He would be trying to make a phone call while she was trying to be  all lovey and smoochy with him. He would then tell her he bought a present for her and it's hidden somewhere in the house and she would go off on a scavenger hunt while he is scheming against the Ewing's. 

They could have also introduced a scheming son of Jeremy's that Lucy marries. I could picture someone like James Spader in the role. 

• Members

Whether "Dallas" was too male-oriented is probably debatable, but I don't think there's ANY question that David Jacobs's original idea for the show was a rivalry between J.R. Ewing & Pamela.  In the original story projection, didn't Bobby Ewing DIE, and Pam took over his place as JR's chief adversary?   And the show nailed this aspect on so many different occasions (such as the reading of Bobby's will, when Pam is named as the trustee of Christopher's shares of Ewing Oil).   Without Victoria Principal's Pam character, there was just no show left anymore, because from Day One, she was the character who got under JR's skin.   I really like Soap Dope's idea that the series shoulda ended with Bobby & Pam remarrying, and JR realizing that he's gotta deal with her yet again.  

• Members

Yes. THAT would have been a fitting end. Pamela returns, reveals JR kept her away, JR loses Bobby for good because of it, gets thrown out of Southfork, Pamela joins forces with (insert list of enemies here) to kick JR out of Ewing Oil and he has now really lost everything.
THEN it would make sense for him to be so despondent as to contemplate suicide.
There is no way the likes of Cliff would ever make him feel defeated.

Of course I'd expect Pam and Bobby to reunite but making the fact of their remarriage the thing that sticks it to JR would falling back into the bad habits of making Pamela JR's enemy through Bobby.
I like the idea of her hitting him where it hurts: business.

Edited by FrenchBug82

• Members

Absolutely agree. As soon as the shooter is revealed, the season became a dud. Do not get me wrong I loved “The Who shot Jr?”Storyline, but I was letdown on the reveal, I felt the shooter was predictable. I was hoping for something left field like sue Ellen’s therapist LOL!

• Members

Yep. Look at Grey's Anatomy - there's like three people who were on the show from the pilot currently? And they'll still have to cut popular characters every now and then despite being one of the highest rated shows in the lucrative 18-49 demo.

Of course, Grey's is a workplace soap, so it's easier for people to just quit and write in new characters. For a family soap it's much harder as you can only introduce that many long-lost siblings, cousins and whatever before it starts getting ridiculous...

• Members

Jack and Jamie Ewing - bland characters played by bland actors.

This  would have been the time to introduce JR's illegitimate son.

It would be totally believable that JR had a child. Maybe by Serena(?) one of his go to ladies of the night.

That story could have gone so many ways.