Jean Passanante exits Y&R

• Members

Higley and Griffith will be the last ones standing……of course we still have hacks like Carlivati and Pratt too. I really wish Days had gone fresh with a new head writer who knew the soap but had never written for a soap before.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As a long time fan, you know the characters and how they should be acting, as well as what works and what doesn't...So why not you?? I don't read much fanfic(I know there's a lot out there, but I just never have), there's plenty of writers and fans out there that deserve a chance...People that haven't already led shows to the old cancellation trail...

• Members

They don't know any better. Some people have just accepted crap and crap writers.

True. She is good at breakdown but that's it. She sucks at writing long-term projections.

I so agree about most of the names you listed too. I wouldn't mind McTavish or Malone at DAYS. I enjoyed Malone's first run on OLTL and he was turning AW around his stint there. I think he could do wonders at DAYS. McTavish can be good too when she reigns it in. Again, I wouldn't mind her at DAYS. Her alongside Broderick might've sparked some magic as they worked well together.

Corday or Kent would never allow that. It's been said numerous times by writers in the industry that execs would rather settle on people who are burnt out rather than invest in new blood. They said it'd cost too much to train them. But if they were smart, they'd realize it'd pay off in the long haul. Look at Sheffer when he was at ATWT, and Carlivati when he was at OLTL. Yeah, some of us didn't like their stint, but they rejuvenated those shows and ratings went up. The right new writer can do wonders....

I think 99% of us on this board would be qualified for any show at this point. I've seen story suggestions from majority of us that sound more interesting than anything that is occurring on the remaining shows. Plus, I think most of us have the balls to go in there and get rid of deadweight on these shows unlike the remaining bunch.

• Members

Oh I could easily give you 2 years of GH using the current cast (Marland style, no dumping anyone yet except maybe a recast or 2), rotating so nobody goes over their gaurentees and weaving vets into story even if they don't drive all story. I understand a budget and I understand soaps and that show in particular. Easy to build on the foundation they have with some fun, some twists, and a huge injection of heart and soul. But I'm not going to be given that job, even though I know I could do it better than some of the hacks they keep employing.

• Members

Which is the problem. I've always felt like certain writers were only capable of writing for certain shows. Only the greats [Nixon, Marland, Bell, Lemay, the Dobsons] has/had the ability to adapt to the writing and tone of other shows. I think this has been a huge issue with soaps throughout their history.

For instance, Claire Labine, though I thought she did OK with GL [and could've done OK on ATWT], only fit well with ABC shows, which was more light than P&G soaps. P&G soaps and Bell shows just had this grit that other shows didn't have. Her writing style didn't fit with those shows.

Same with Ron on GH. Yes, GH has had its campiness but Ron over does it. It was OK for OLTL because the show transformed into that in the mid 80s, but that isn't GH's style or tone.

I feel like finding a writer needs to be a well thought out process. Each writer has a different writing style and a lot of those don't fit with certain shows. That's why I don't know why Kay Alden & Sally S. Morina weren't hired seeing as they know Y&R's style and tone. They learned from Bill Bell.

You'd excel and I don't even need to read a projection to believe it. I just find it farce that these execs don't wanna hire and train new blood. That kills the genre when you do that. New blood always needs to brought up in an industry or it dies.

• Members

If I can say one good thing about JP is that the show at least had more of a "long term" type of plot, even if most of it was made up as they went along....Pratt's been bulldozing through every story, though I guess it's safe to say this show hasn't had a true long term plot for about 12 years now....

• Members

Honestly Jean should be co head writing with Josh and Dena. With the 50th anniversary ahead sge would only write heartfelt moments and respect the audience. I would love to see her write an Audrey Hepburn modern day storyline for Marlena. Days needs anything it can get imo.

• Members

Anyone who watched her on ATWT knows she will craft excellent stories for the vets said no one anywhere. She is the perfect example of a writer who had some talent in their post, but should not be in charge of tone or creating the stories. Her writing is DULL.

• Members

I still don't think MarDar completely bombed. They started out fine. Maybe it wasn't everyone's cup of tea but I feel like they tried. But very quickly it was obvious things shifted behind the scenes. IMO they weren't given much of a chance, and they needed someone with more experience to guide them. It could have worked, and some of the ideas weren't awful.

Anyway ... BYE JEAN! Don't let the door hit ya on the way out. She should stick to breakdowns. IMO all of her head writing stints have been a failure. Are there worse than her? Sure, she's not THE most awful, but she's not good either. I'll never understand Jonny stanning for her so much.

Archived