Top Secret Scoop on What Chuck Pratt Has Planned For The Young and the Restless

• Members

I doubt Guza will join them. Isn't word on the street that Guza fell out with Phelps and Pratt? I remember hearing rumors that Pratt and Guza fell out before Pratt left GH back in in '06, and Guza supposedly fell out with Jill when he was let go for Garin Wolf. I doubt we'll see this trio together.

Only perk about all of this is when [because it's bound to happen] stories go awry on this show, hardcore Y&R fans are going to chew Pratt's ass out on Twitter. Besides Ron, he's the only current head writer to have an active Twitter page. And I am sure that his Twitter count will go up once he debuts. Y&R fans are going to be clocking his ass and I am going to sit back and watch. Popcorn and all....

So if he was smart, he'd be spending time reading up on the show's history and sticking to it.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's the story I recall. It was news to me until just recently - the version I saw was that Guza and Pratt fell out over some primetime thing (maybe Pratt tried to poach Tyler Christopher?), and then JFP threw Guza and his hefty paycheck over to try and save her own job. But who knows.

Pratt cannot have come cheap; he is taking the same expensive producer credit he and Bob took at GH. This is a costly venture they will not give up on any time soon, despite reception.

• Members

Yep! That's it, Vee! Thanks for reminding me. wink.png Guza and Pratt fell out over TC, which I never understood why Guza cared. While he did give Nik a plethora of airtime, it was always apparent that Guza's favorites were the Unholy Trio.

I can't believe though that Sony is dumb enough to hire these people with high salaries when they could've easily hired a newbie for way less but paired them someone to show them the ropes [i.e. how to write long term soap]. Especially a newbie that loves the genre and show.

• Members

They don't want to deal with someone 'learning the ropes.' They want someone with experience and a proven record regarding how he/she interacts with executives. It's easier for them that way, talent and success in other shows be damned.

• Members

He does. He's practically her equal when normally the Head Writer of a soap (unless they are the creator then they're most likely Executive EP) has to answer to the EP or get their story green-lit by the them. Now, he really does not have to answer to her. Instead, he answers to SONY. Jill is once again a figurehead EP (IMO). She'll collect all the heat when things go wrong when she might not have any power or say at all. She's basically there to manage the budget. A glorified number cruncher....

• Members

Well their way of going about things has really worked in the past two decades. ph34r.png

Despite my feelings for Hogan and Ron, ABC & CBS/P&G taking a chance on them paid well in some way. While Hogan made ATWT somewhat dreadful, the ratings did go up for the show. And Ron's first year at OLTL was good.

New blood is a good thing for this genre. That's the only way it is going to survive. I always found it stupid not to invest in new blood when they people they do have in charge are well on their way to retiring. After they all leave, who is going to run the ship? Never understood that.

• Members

I'm wondering if Pratt will once again lure Jamie Luner back to daytime? wasn't the role of phyliss being recasted after he was named HW? as much as I love Jamie and could really see her as phyliss, I don't want Gina gone!! maybe he can create a new role for Jamie as I know he loves her!!

• Members

CBS has been far quicker to step in lately. They are not going to let Y&R sink. The September reboot has proven to be successful - the show is far more watchable than it was during the previous year. We've suffered through a bunch of garbage before and I'm certain there will be more to come with Pratt, but no way is CBS going to let its daytime lineup sink - not now when shows like B&B, TT & LMAD are solid/gaining nor with the rumors that TV may be replaced by a third hour of GMA. CBS likes daytime dominance. Fortunately, Y&R has no many vet actors on the show with lots of different ties, that it's pretty easy for them to right the ship and get back a good chunk of audience back.

• Members

That would be unlike her. Especially since she maneuvered him into place with people like Alden and SSM offering story projections. She tried to get JG back, network agreed his time was over, so she went higher profile but still FOJ. She's protecting her job, not setting up a replacement.

Archived