Jan Hooks .Designing Women...SNL has passed away

Soapsuds

• Members

Jan and Phil Hartman as Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker. I remember someone saying once in the SNL history book Live from New York (I want to say Victoria Jackson before she became completely cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs; I could be wrong, though), that Jan, being from the South, knew who Tammy Faye Bakker was before a lot of other people did, and had a DEAD ON impression of her. And then, of course, the scandal with Jessica Hahn happened, and she got to play her on SNL. This is just perfect.

https://screen.yahoo.com/snl-talk-show-skits/church-chat-jim-tammy-faye-000000956.html?soc_src=default

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

She certainly was the bright spot of DW's odd series finale. Funny, but when I first heard that she and Julia Duffy were joining the cast, I thought they were recasts for Jean and Delta and Jan would be playing Suzanne.

• Members

I am heartbroken. That cast of SNL saved the show and while it was Dana Carvey and later Mike Myers who got all the press and fame, Jan Hooks was never anything less than brilliant. Her Diane Sawyer, her Tammy Faye, Kathie Lee..each one of them so perfect in ripping the target to shreds without really trying or being mean. Her Kathy Lee was just something to be seen because it so summed up the entire Kathy Lee persona in the worst possible way. And the Sweeney Sisters. It's really sad these skits are not on YT (maybe because of music rights, no idea) but she and Nora Dunn were perfect as this horrible shlocky cabaret act.:

http://www.vidoosh.tv/play.php?vid=14781

The funniest woman on SNL, maybe even better than Gilfa Radner. :(

• Members

NBC doesn't let any SNL stuff stay on Youtube.

I loved the Sweeney Sisters. They were just hilarious and cheesy and they were never overused. I remember when Lorne Michaels produced the 1989 Emmys and the Sweeney Sisters went into the audience to chat and perform, and most of the people seemed freaked out or confused.

One that isn't seen as often is when Mary Tyler Moore appeared as their sister, who had left the group years earlier and been estranged from them ever since.

Archived