Jan Hooks .Designing Women...SNL has passed away

Soapsuds

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

OMG! All i can say is "Damit!" Yet someone else i really like died this year. Robin Williams, Joan Rivers, Don Pardo, now Jan Hooks. Enough!

It's so sad because i was looking forward to seeing her at SNL's big 40th anniversary thing next year. She was such a great actress who deserved to work so much more than she did. I loved her in so many roles like Nancy Reagan, Tammy Faye, Ivana Trump etc... so many happy memories.

Even on Designing Women, I thought she was so great. She played the "hick" in her first season so well. Then i remember the episode where Julia and Mary Jo got stuck under some guy's bed so Anthony and Carlene had to go and get them so they acted like secret service people who had to check his suitcase. She was so funny! then the episode where she dressed and acted like a man to see what the attraction was. and we can't forget her song "Remember the good ol' days. They were good. They were old. they were days." LOL So many good moments.

• Members

This probably hits me harder than any of the celebrity deaths this year (and there have been so many - this has been a terrible year for comedians).

I loved her on SNL. That cast was what got me hooked on SNL. They were funny and sharp while still letting themselves be cheesy. And they had charisma to burn. My favorites were Jan, Phil, Nora Dunn, and Victoria Jackson. Jan and Phil are gone and Victoria is essentially gone.

Jane was a clown, yet also beautiful and sexy when need be. She was simply incredible.

She's one of those people who never got the break she could have had.

Even as I've soured on SNL over the years, I still watch the Christmas special every year, on an old tape, partially because I want to see that Sweeney Sisters sketch one more time.

http://vimeo.com/34046077

I saw a photo from a beautiful little SNL short film she did with Phil Hartman where they were some type of fairy tale prince and princess. I like to imagine them that way. Here's the video of it.

http://www.frequency.com/video/in-time-for-valentines-day-love-is-dream/140078178/-/5-2291

Love this too:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xg8ucr_saturday-night-live-dysfunctional-family-christmas_fun#from=embediframe

It just isn't fair sad.png

• Members

This reminds me of how much I loved the SNL credits of this era, the vitality of them. I think one of these credits shots had the cast running around as if they were afraid for their lives.

tumblr_nd78s6tx7Z1qewm9xo1_500.png

tumblr_nd78s6tx7Z1qewm9xo2_500.png

tumblr_nd78s6tx7Z1qewm9xo3_500.png

I said goodbye to this show and to Lorne Michaels' hack ways a long time ago but days like today are where I realize I'm truly saying goodbye.

Archived