DAYS wins WGA Award for best Daytime Drama

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ya, Ron's tweet was dumb and he took it down last night as far as i can tell. He may still be angry that ABC forced him to keep all of those ficore writers on his staff for several months after the strike ended. Only once he had some clout with ABC (as he started to gain notoriety for the improved quality of the show) did those writers lose their jobs. Many WGA writers do think ficore writers are scabs and are very angry that they crossed the picket lines. He should be more angry at those writers who did not elect ficore status but crossed the picket lines to write the soaps. Maybe Ron is really ticked at Tomlin because Tomlin was vying for his job after the strike ended.

• Members

Unless I'm mistaken, Days was selected by the members of the WGA. That alone seems to indicate the members selected Days based on SUPERIOR writing vs the other nominees, and that any resentment toward fi-core/scab writers is not prevalent. If Ron's objection was widely shared or as deeply felt as Ron's, then they would not have voted for Days.

Congratulations to the Days' team. Well deserved.

• Members

If I genuinely felt for one minute that moRon was sincere, I would agree with this. But why throw his hat in the ring when he's against the practice? Why not say this when the nominations were announced? Why not say "YR and Days" should not be in the running? Why not acknowledge the rules set by the WGA before whining on Twitter? Why speak at all?!

• Members

I don't think I said the show's survival was all on them. The primary reason it's alive, then and now, is that ABCD has nothing viable to replace it with. But when the show was cooking in the fall of 2012 they also made it work for them numbers-wise, at least for a period. I'm not talking about quality so much as I'm talking about numbers, I'm talking about them frontloading a short-term, action-packed umbrella storyline which worked at the time, and I'm talking about the network's options. You said it yourself: Ron and Frank may not be creative geniuses but they go to the wall everyday for this stuff, unlike JFP and Y&R. That's part of the reason GH survived 2012.

There's a considerable amount of nuance to not only this situation, but also to their work and their history. It would be easier to caricature them when they often caricature their characters or Ron caricatures himself on social media everyday, but nobody is an absolute. It's the same reason I can say I adored the PP soaps but am disgusted with their upper management and find their lawsuit largely ridiculous - while at the same time I do think Ron and Frank took for granted no one would dare resurrect OLTL but them, and condemn their conduct at that end as well and think it's one of the only good points the lawsuit brings up.

• Members

I have defended Ron and how well GH is doing but he was out of line here. Yes there is a fi core head writer in Gary tomlin. Yes he went and worked while people were out of work starving or not being paid. WGA looks down on these people but in the end days has a veteran writing staff full of beloved wga members like lorraine and Carolyn culliton and people have given a lot to wga who deserve to be recognized. Days had a great year in 2013 as much as GH had a great year. Be a good sport and wish your competition congrats. This was sour grapes and it seemed very personal against Gary tomlin. Let's remember tomlin used to be Ron and franks boss and has been in the industry for many years. Ironic oltl won its only best show Emmy under tomlin. Ron be a better sport about this.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

The "Days of Our Lives" writing team poses after winning the Writers Guild Award for best daytime drama earlier this month. Pictured (from left to right): Rick Draughon, Lorraine Broderick, Christopher Whitesell, Ryan Quan, writers' assistant Julia Layton, Christopher Dunn, writers' assistant Tyler Topits, Dave Ryan. David Cherrill and Melissa Salmons accepted their awards at the New York ceremony. Winners not pictured are Carolyn Culliton, Richard Culliton and Janet Iacobuzio. Also not pictured is David A. Levinson, who left the show in early 2013.

Below: David Cherrill and Melissa Salmons, who live on the East Coast, accepted their awards at the WGA ceremony in New York City.

cherrillsalmons2014.jpg

Archived