DAYS wins WGA Award for best Daytime Drama

• Members

Learning that he hired a scab as a writer just makes him even more of a hypocrite. He values hacks, like himself, Scott Stickles, etc. over quality, and he will hire strike personnel if it suits his purpose.

If he wants to win an award, then do something to earn one.

Going to a writing class would be a good start.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

See, I don't believe moRon believes he should win by disqualification. That is the reason he is giving that Days should not have been in the running, even though he completely ignores the requirements to be considered and win the award. For some odd reason, moRon thinks saying "a scab should not have won and it's hypocrisy" looks better than saying "I should have won that award".

The entire rant tells me that GH will NEVER get better because moRon believes he is delivering a good soap. He is not! Far from it.

• Members

Not to minimise the union debate, but the strike happened in 2008 and this is for stuff that aired in 2013. On the basis of pure soap writing quality, Days' win was well deserved.

Days doesn't always win major awards at the Emmys and is often overlooked by the so-called soap press and bloggers in favor of Ron's GH. He gets tons of accolades. I am glad Days got recognized here at an industry event. If Ron hadn't got all pissy like a ballerina with a ladder in her stocking, this award would have netted a couple of lines in the soap press and quickly forgotten.

• Members

As a member of the WGA, GT's allegiance should have been to the union that's negotiated all the benefits he enjoys (and continues to enjoy). None of the networks or production companies he's worked for would ever willingly provide half the compensation and benefits the Guild has won for its members through long and hard fought negotiations. One writer going Fi-core, or crossing the proverbial picket line, may not weaken the Guild's negotiating position per se, but when that number starts to grow it does. As for "someone had to write the show" -- that's the nets/production companies problem, not GT's or any other Guild writer. That's the whole strength of a strike: the nets don't want to pay the writers what they're asking (or give the benefits they're striking for), go ahead and write the show yourself. Or have someone on the show's staff write it. See how long you can go without the show suffering. GT coming in to rescue his show actually hurt his fellow writers on strike. Also, I again make the point: GT continues to get health and pension benefits won by the Guild, but also got a paycheck during the strike when the rest of his fellow writers weren't and were striking for the things he now enjoys (even if he is no longer a member in good standing with the WGA). It's one of those "have your cake and eat it too" scenarios. Patently unfair IMO.

• Members

The writers didn't hurt their shows, the nets and production companies did by refusing to pay the writers decent benefits and salaries, and forcing a strike. If no writer had crossed the picket line, then maybe the strike would have ended sooner. The nets would have been pushed into a corner earlier, and negotiated a deal that much faster. People like GT probably helped prolong the strike.

• Members

Writing is my business, and I did absolutely support the strike. I understand the issue with writers going fi-core. I don't think Tomlin's actions were necessarily noble, but I don't totally condemn him or others for doing what they did to keep these shows running in what was and is an ailing industry. And I think if it happened again it'd be real interesting to see what RC did at GH. He is not the same relative unknown in the industry now that he was then.

• Members

Really? I mean I think GH sucks on every level possible, but I am forced to concede that it's drawing in more viewers, ABC has two/three if you count GMA attempts at producing successful replacements for their soaps. Not hearing of any potential replacements in development or testing. Am I missing something? And Days is also improving in ratings, winning accolades in the press. I just don't think the Networks are as gung ho about canceling their remaining shows.

That said, I don't expect them to continue growing. I think they've picked up viewers for a multitude of reasons that have nothing to do with quality writing or production. GH in particular is a ticking time bomb IMO. Waiting for everyone to wake up and realize the Emporer (Ron) is stark naked and bereft of vision or talent. Thrilled his peers in the WGA seem to realize it.

• Members

I think GH is doing alright for a variety of reasons. Ron and Frank saved it from cancellation and they did a lot right to do so. But it's only viable until ABC can develop an alternative that works. For all their happy talk, I don't believe the network's commitment to GH has undergone a sea change that lasts beyond their simple lack of other options. And the bigger issue is that they have made FV cut GH's budget - yet again - and so both it and DAYS are down to scraps. They may be fighting with all their heart, but they don't have better money, better consideration or, IMO, a truly long-term investment from their networks. The pace and budget at DAYS may be even more brutal than that at GH, from what little I know about that show BTS. JackPeyton would know better.

• Members

Ron Carlivati and Frank Valentini have a history of submitting extremely poorly for award shows. There was a reason they could never win the Emmy for drama series for OLTL, they submitted HORRIBLY! I guess in a recent interview Ron stated that they just randomly selected three episodes for the WGA because they never have any luck.

Archived