DAYS wins WGA Award for best Daytime Drama

• Members
"DAYS OF OUR LIVES" WINS WGA AWARD FOR BEST DAYTIME DRAMA FOR 2012-2013 SEASON

Congratulations to the "Days of Our Lives" writing staff, who earlier this evening won this year's Writers Guild of America Award for best Daytime Drama. The period covers October 1, 2012-September 30, 2013. The WGA rulebook states that the award is based on three scripts (not necessarily in sequence) aired during this time period,

DAYTIME DRAMA WINNER:
Days of Our Lives, Written by Lorraine Broderick, David Cherrill, Carolyn Culliton, Richard Culliton, Rick Draughon, Christopher Dunn, Janet Iacobuzio, David A. Levinson, Ryan Quan, Dave Ryan, Melissa Salmons, Christopher J. Whitesell; NBC

This is just the second time in 12 nominations that "Days of Our Lives" has won a WGA Award, its first since 2000, when the writing team was comprised of Sally Sussman Morina, Dena Higley, Marlene Clark Poulter, Dorothy Ann Purser, Victor Gialanella, Meredith Post, Peter Brash, Peggy Schibi, Fran Myers, Maralyn Thoma, Joyce Rosenblad, Bruce Neckels and Sofia Landon Geier. "Days" was also nominated for the award in 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1980, 1988, 1992, 1994, 2002 and 2013. The WGA began its daytime drama category in 1973. In 2008, "Days" won a WGA Award in the On-Air Promotion category, for "DAYS OF OUR LIVES: MINI-SERIES, THE BRADYS VS. THE DIMERAS", Written by Judie Henninger.

Because head writer Gary Tomlin, dialogue writer Jeanne Marie Ford and script editor Fran Myers chose to keep writing for "One Life to Live" in 2007-2008 during the WGA strike, all three are no longer members of the WGA, and thus, no longer eligible to be nominated for WGA awards.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Webmaster

Not commenting on Ron's tweet, but Tomlin wasn't nominated despite the show's nomination and eventual win. Because Tomlin was a "scab" during the 2007 strike, he and others like him, were not eligible for a nomination as they are no longer official WGA members, though they are still eligible for benefits, etc.

• Members

CORRECT-Gary Tomlin isnt even listed as a nominated writer for DOOL

Does RC not know how Fi-core status means

Any writer who goes Fi-core with The WGA loses the rights to vote in their elections and can't be nominated with their writing teams for WGA awards. However their show can still be nominated and win.

• Webmaster

Ron's actual tweet wasn't referring to the scab writer per se as I'm sure he realizes Gary Tomlin wasn't nominated, but he does have a problem with Tomlin's show being nominated overall. My understanding of the tweet is that he's basically saying DAYS shouldn't have won or even been nominated simply because Tomlin went fi-core, which I take to mean that he believes DAYS should never be nominated as long as it has a scab writer on its staff. With that said, we can also say that Y&R shouldn't have been nominated either since Josh Griffith led that show's writing team for much of the eligibility period, despite Griffith himself not being nominated either.

If we took into the scab aspect, GH would have won by default since B&B also has scab writers and didn't even put itself up for nomination.

• Members

Errol

I also feel that RC is bitter that Gary wrote OLTL during the strike. I understand taht he felt he should strike. Im for all that but Im also ok with writers chosing Fi-Core since its an option if writers chose so.

Seriously I dont get it, what did RC wanna happen back in 2008, no one write the show. Then the show goes on hiatus til the strike is over. Then there would have been a possabilty no one got paid during that time. Did he want the whole cast & crew at OLTL to suffer hardship as well at that time. SMH

• Members

He's mad because GH didn't win, plain and simple. He don't give a damn about these FiCore writers, he's just mad people didn;t think his script was the best. If he could change it so those shows couldn't be nominated and GH automatically won each year, I'm sure he'd love that.

• Members

Even though Tomlin wasn't eligible to be nominated for a WGA due to his work as a head writer, he had input on the material. At this time, the WGA doesn't care as long as the person doesn't put themselves on the ballot. That's an issue Ron should take up with the WGA if he thinks it is such a big deal, as a rule change would be in order.

Archived